• Breaking News

    Monday, May 11, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Concurrent Training: Deadlifting 6 plates and running a sub-5 minute mile in the same week.

    Beginner Fitness: Concurrent Training: Deadlifting 6 plates and running a sub-5 minute mile in the same week.


    Concurrent Training: Deadlifting 6 plates and running a sub-5 minute mile in the same week.

    Posted: 10 May 2020 05:37 PM PDT

    Hello /r/fitness, happy mother's day.


    TLDR: This week I hit two pretty awesome milestones. A sub-5 minute mile (4:55), and a 6 plate deadlift (592 pounds)

    Before

    After

    3x bodyweight 6 plate Deadlift video

    Run PR's


    There are a lot of questions frequently asked on this topic, with opinions ranging from cardio being great for lifters to people believing long distance running is highly catabolic and will kill your gains. So I wanted to take a minute to talk about concurrent training, i.e training for both running and strength simultaneously.


    Some quick background information

    I am male in my thirties, I'm 6'3" 196lbs, have a full time job, am married and have a gaggle of small children.

    A year ago I was 260+ pounds and just getting back into training after suffering from a series of injuries and setbacks.

    At this time couldn't run a mile without stopping to walk, and I couldn't deadlift over 4 plates without pain.

    My first run of 2019


    I decided it was time to get my shit back together.

    I started with a simple linear progression for my lifting, just until I got closer to some of my old maxes. I was also going to run 2-3x per week, for 1-3 miles.

    I'm not going to go into too much detail but I bounced around from program to program until November because I tend to have a short attention span, constantly modifying my training, rarely sticking with anything for more than a few weeks. The basics are all in the wiki anyway.

    The only relevant information is that I steadily increased volume and intensity from session to session, forcing myself to progress back to my previous levels from a couple years earlier.


    Timeline

    • By November of 2019 I was down to ~215-220 pounds, I had been running ~5-10 miles per week all summer and fall, had a squat of ~450, bench of ~340, and deadlift of ~525ish

    Around this time I ran my first <25 minute 5k and got excited.

    I decided to really ramp up my running. I increased my mileage by 15-20% per week through November, December, and January while continuing to lift.

    • In December I ran a mile in under 7 minutes, and a half marathon in 1:46:50, and wanted to be better.

    • In January I signed up for a marathon, and started training with Hal Higdon's advanced marathon training 1 plan. My goal was a ~3:30 marathon, and to break below 6:00 on the mile.

    I followed Hal Higdons while lifting 5-6x per week, my weekly running peaked at 65 miles per week. I also hit some fun lift PR's at this time, like a 425x17 deadlift, and a 370 bench. I also made some great progress on my running.. until my marathon was cancelled due to covid.


    Current training

    At this time I switched to my current programming. It is the full 13 week Smolov program, for deadlifts plus decently high mileage running (40-50 miles per week)

    I titled it "Smarathlov" and have been following this ever since.

    Me now at ~195

    So, as I said, I have a hard time sticking to the program....

    In week 5 I was supposed to do 7x5 at 465. Instead I did 4x5 and then I hit a High rep - 468x16 Deadlift set for a huge PR.

    I also ran a 16:34 5k that week.

    Today marked the end of week 6. It's a deload week. Mileage gets cut in half, and there are no deadlifts for the first 6 days. After some well deserved rest, I hit a 6 plate deadlift this morning here's the video as well as running a 4:55 mile a couple days earlier.

    Overall, despite running 700 miles in 2020, I'm stronger, faster, and leaner than ever.

    Full Running PR's


    Thoughts.

    • Building up a large mileage base is more important than running hard.

    I currently run 40-50 miles per week, but I didn't just start at that point. Build up slowly week after week.

    • The long run

    Each week I have a long run, which is ~33-35% of my weekly mileage (13-18 miles).

    Some people tell me this is too big of a percentage. I disagree. It fits my schedule and it's been working.

    Anyway, I usually keep it nice and easy, but sometimes I'll do a time trial, like the 1:26:24 half marathon on April 26th.

    • Speed work

    I also incorporate some speed work, no more than 20% of my weekly mileage, but usually closer to 10%, usually hill sprints or fartleks incorporated into my other runs. This is HIGH effort, RPE 9+

    Other than that, it's all easy running. Low RPE, low heart rate.

    • Lifting

    Despite what most people who recognize my name might think, I don't really care too much about specific programming. I firmly believe that hard work and consistency are far more important, and drive more success for hobby lifters like me, than any program.

    No matter what "program" I'm following, I make sure that my volume trends up over time. When the volume gets too high, I dial it back, and start ramping up intensity. Rinse and repeat.

    • Concurrent training

    Running and lifting aren't incompatible.

    You can train for both at the same time.

    You can train for both in the same day.

    Here are my quick pointers.

    1) if you can seperate your running and lifting by a few hours, that's preferred, but not necessary.

    2) do your heavy lifts before your easy running

    3) do your hard running before easy lifting.

    4) don't try to lift after the long run.

    5) take at least one day off of running, and one day off of lifting. These dont have to be the same day.

    6) Eat. My TDEE was ~3000 before I started running. It's over 4000 now. I've been eating 3750-4250 calories per day.

    7) Nutrition: I eat about 0.9g/lb protein, 0.4g/lb fat, the rest carbs. That works out to be 175p, 80f, 600-700c.

    No - the carbs won't make you fat.

    ────────

    I'm sure I missed a ton. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

    As always, the wikis for /r/fitness and /r/running have great information. Use them.

    submitted by /u/nSuns
    [link] [comments]

    Will I lose a lot of muscle?

    Posted: 10 May 2020 08:01 AM PDT

    I've recently got back into lifting due to having more time with the quarantine going on. I used to exercise off and on a lot, but I had a kid a couple of years ago and I haven't been as consistent since. I've been making progress and dropping weight, but recently started getting pretty bad back pain. I'm not sure what caused it and I don't want to go to the doctors during this whole mess. So I took a week off and felt good, so I went back to working out (upping reps dropping weight) and the pain quickly came back. So now I'm thinking of taking the entire month of May off of lifting and possibly trying to do yoga 3-4 days a week and try couch ti 5k again. My biggest fear in losing weight however is looking like a twig. I know one month won't kill me, but I just wasn't sure what I should expect in terms of loss.

    submitted by /u/lzprsn
    [link] [comments]

    Program Review: Greg Nuckol's 28 Free Programs-- emphasis on bench

    Posted: 10 May 2020 03:09 PM PDT

    Hey guys, just wanted to post a review of one of my favorite and most successful programs I've ever done, largely because I haven't seen it talked about much here. The program can be found here here. I ran this program for four cycles (4 months). Due to a knee injury, I had to discontinue the squat and deadlift program after a little over 1 cycle, so this is focusing primarily on the bench.

    Starting/Ending Stats:

    Start End
    Body Weight 195 205
    Bench 375 400
    Squat 440 450*
    Deadlift 545 550*

    *one month training cycle due to injury

    A little about the program (skip this if you're familiar): This is a Bench/Squat/Deadlift mix-and-match program. You choose the three pieces based on the frequency you want to complete the workouts and your experience level (beg/int/adv).

    Choosing the program for you: I began with a 2x/week beginner program for each lift. This wasn't too bad, but I felt I could handle a bit more volume and I was going on a caloric surplus, so I bumped each one up to advanced for the second mesocycle. It's important to note that the frequency matters a lot to the contents of the workout. I began a 1x/week advanced deadlift program (to do a 5 day split), and I absolutely could not come close to performing all of the lifts. I switched to 2x/week advanced program and had a much more manageable time.

    While the more advanced routines also have more volume, something to note is that beginner programs have you doing more of the primary lift. For instance beginner squat may have you performing squats twice per week, while the more advanced programs have you do a supplementary exercise instead (front squat). The advantage for beginners is in solidifying the movement patterns, while the advantage for more advanced programs is minimizing overuse injuries.

    Notes/overall thoughts:

    • This program has enough volume work to make it good for building mass in general on top of increasing maximal strength. I gained 10 good pounds over 3-4 months (pointless to speculate on the muscle/fat ratio)

    • These are the fastest gains I've had on bench press since I broke three plates. A 400# bench was a new year's resolution, and I reached it in March.

    • I did not do the prescribed blood flow restriction training (for accessory work 1x/week), I just did the lifts without blood flow restriction. I don't think this would have a large impact either way, but evidence seems to suggest it could be effective.

    • Overall I would HIGHLY recommend this program to powerlifters, or folks who prefer to do heavy lifts while gaining weight. Not recommended for bodybuilders, as it's not designed for them.

    Just started Average to Savage 2.0 a couple of weeks ago and working squats/deadlifts back into the rotation, so hoping to post a review in a few months! Happy to answer any questions anybody has about the program.

    Edit: Should be Nuckols' but apostrophes are hard.

    submitted by /u/FrankDuhTank
    [link] [comments]

    Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Posted: 11 May 2020 12:40 AM PDT

    Get your dunce hats out, Fittit, it's time for your weekly Stupid Questions Thread.

    Post your question - stupid or otherwise - here to get an answer. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer. Many questions get submitted late each week that don't get a lot of action, so if your question didn't get answered before, feel free to post it again.

    As always, be sure to read the FAQ first.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness".

    Be sure to check back often as questions get posted throughout the day. Lastly, it may be a good idea to sort comments by "new" to be sure the newer questions get some love as well. Click here to sort by new in this thread only.

    So, what's rattling around in your brain this week, Fittit?


    As per this thread, the community has asked that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Moronic Monday thread. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.

    submitted by /u/cdingo
    [link] [comments]

    Workouts with a 6kg kettlebell for beginners.

    Posted: 11 May 2020 01:13 AM PDT

    I'm 17M, 5"4, and 85kg. I wish to get down to 65 by, I don't know, maybe next June.

    Anyway, all I have is a 6kg kettlebell and I want to know the best workouts for beginners with that kettlebell.

    Dietary tips are also welcome.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/MERKFLAMES
    [link] [comments]

    Getting back into running after a 2 week hiatus

    Posted: 11 May 2020 02:27 AM PDT

    Hi all!

    Recently I got into running due to a certain naughty little virus and not being able to go bouldering. However unfortunately I had to have one of my wisdom teeth removed which meant I couldn't go running for at least a week after to let it heal up properly (I went for 2 weeks just to be safe ;) ).

    I was using C25K to build up my stamina and get into running but stopped when I reached Week 3 Day 3 which involves:

    - A brisk 5 warmup walk

    - 90 seconds jogging

    - 90 seconds walking

    - 3 minutes of jogging

    - 3 minutes of walking

    - 90 seconds jogging

    - 90 seconds walking

    - 3 minutes of jogging

    - 3 minutes of walking

    Im assuming it would be dumb of me to try and pick up where I left off like I haven't had a break so I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to tweak the above so I can find my feet again without completely wiping myself out.

    Thanks!

    TLDR: Started running, had to take 2 weeks off, want to start running again, how do without KO'ing myself?

    submitted by /u/Gwizwold
    [link] [comments]

    How to know body signals?

    Posted: 11 May 2020 03:32 AM PDT

    Sometimes I feel body pain but after sometime it disappears so should I be concerned as it may a signal to a fault in body.

    submitted by /u/legendary-levi
    [link] [comments]

    Workout suggestions with only limited barbell and plate equipment (20 kg barbell, 2x 5kg plates)

    Posted: 11 May 2020 03:31 AM PDT

    Hi all, my city is shut down until June 1. My standard olympic barbell finally arrived (after 1 month of delivery). I have two 5 kg plates. I am male, 5'11, 160 lbs. Usually bench press 70 kg 4 sets 10 reps. Squat 90 kg 4 sets x 10 reps to give you a sense of my starting strength. My goals are mostly bodybuilding/hypertrophy. Can someone recommend a website or some source of workouts with this limited set of equipment? (hopefully two 10 kg plates will arrive soon). Thank you

    submitted by /u/reddit02138
    [link] [comments]

    One arm DB bent over row vs barbell row

    Posted: 11 May 2020 02:00 AM PDT

    I only do the bent over DB one arm row just cuz I prefer it. Is that okay and is it enough? Or do I also need to incorporate the bent over barbell row?

    submitted by /u/healthyfitme
    [link] [comments]

    Opinions on/knowledge of EMS belts

    Posted: 11 May 2020 12:43 AM PDT

    What do you think of EMS belts and which one(s) are the best? I want to try it out but I know very little about EMS and almost none about the application for toning muscle.

    submitted by /u/sLimitlessshady
    [link] [comments]

    Will gaining Mass/weight make me slower?

    Posted: 10 May 2020 11:46 PM PDT

    If I start to gain weight through bulking, will I become a slower sprinter? (Talking about 100-400meter running if that counts as sprints) Very new to this stuff, apologies if this is basic knowledge

    And if it does make me slower, will losing the fat and maintaining the muscle (I think that's called cutting) make me the same speed/faster again?

    Thanks again.

    submitted by /u/Blooooon
    [link] [comments]

    No Weights

    Posted: 10 May 2020 10:50 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm a male (19) 6' 130 pounds and was just starting to go to the gym before quarantine happened. I'm stuck at home now and dont have access to any equipment. Given these circumstances, I was wondering what the best way would be to start putting muscle on

    submitted by /u/Musical_Mango
    [link] [comments]

    What are the best food options for my dietary goals?

    Posted: 10 May 2020 10:36 PM PDT

    I am trying to lose weight, or at least replace fat with muscle. Right now I'm trying up protein intake, limit sugar & carbs & improve fiber intake. My diet fr from perfect, but i need to make changes & i should point out I'm not a good cook

    If it helps for context I'm 32 year old male

    submitted by /u/onepocketfan
    [link] [comments]

    A gallon of Water a day?

    Posted: 10 May 2020 09:34 PM PDT

    Is this really necessary?
    I've read things online that it can have benefits, but if you are trying to put on muscle is striving to drink a gallon of water actually beneficial or is just your natural thirst (and maybe a little bit more) all that is really required for water

    Thanks guys

    submitted by /u/Blooooon
    [link] [comments]

    Whole-Body Vibration Results/Benefits?

    Posted: 10 May 2020 09:17 PM PDT

    Has anyone managed to get their hands on Whole Body Vibaration machine and has seen any results (tone muscles, weight loss etc).

    Would appreciate any responds!

    submitted by /u/ValorantSource
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions for progression when having to increase weight lifted by 20 or 30 pounds at a time due to only having 10 and 25lb plates available?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 09:33 PM PDT

    So I am fortunate enough to have a 45lb barbell but I currently only have some 25lb plates and one pair of 10lb plates. This means that if I want to load the barbell symmetrically using these plates I must go up or down in increments of at least 20lb at a time.

    (Unless I try something kind of unusual like asymmetrically loading the plates, or try hanging water bottles off the bar with string or duct tape which I think would alter the mechanics of the exercise by requiring more work to stabilize than normal)

    I have recently been doing some high rep German Volume Training style workouts of 10 working sets of 10 reps for each exercise. It's the highest volume I have ever done, and have been enjoying it and feel it's been good for helping weight loss and increasing stamina. So I'd like to keep doing this style of workouts for at least awhile longer.

    But now I have gotten used to the weights I have been using and feel it's time to increase. For example, I have been using the 45lb bar with a pair of 25lb plates for a total of 95lb on strict OHP. Over the past few weeks I have gone from not being able to complete a full 10 reps on the last few sets to being able to do all sets with 10 good form reps.

    If I had some smaller plates it would be a no brainer to just add a 2.5 or 5lbs to each side and seek to progress that way.

    But the smallest increase I can make with my currently limited plate selection is to add a 10lb plate to each side, which would increase the weight from 95 to 115. If I do that, I suspect I probably wouldn't be able to get all 10 reps even on the first set.

    Any of you have recommendations?

    submitted by /u/ThrowRA20192019
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment