• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 28, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Routine Campfire - Arnold Schwarzenegger's Splits

    Beginner Fitness: Routine Campfire - Arnold Schwarzenegger's Splits


    Routine Campfire - Arnold Schwarzenegger's Splits

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 01:18 PM PDT

    Welcome to the next r/Fitness Campfire series - Routine Campfires! You can read the original announcement thread along with the future schedule here.


    This week's topic: Arnold Schwarzenegger's Splits

    Ask questions you have about this routine in this thread, and the community will help you get an answer.


    Here are the rules for Routine Campfires:

    • Routine Campfires are for asking specific questions about a specific routine and getting answers from the community.
    • Top level comments must be a specific question about the topic routine. Questions which are excessively vague to a point of being difficult to answer directly will not be permitted. Comments should not be used for general chit-chat, just for asking and answering questions.
    • Routine Campfires are not for routine critique requests of any kind. This includes but is not limited to: tweaks, lift replacements, accessory choices. All such questions should be directed to the Daily Thread exactly as any normal routine critique would be.
    • Replies to questions should be either an answer to the question, or asking the poster for information necessary to better answer the question.
    • Comments which in any way support or encourage piracy of a routine or its material will be removed and posters who make them banned permanently.
    • Comments should be civil and serious. Jokes, memes, and rudeness will not be permitted.
    • If the answer to a question can be found in an existing page about the routine, please be sure to include a link to the page.
    • Please check the thread to see if your question has been asked prior to posting.

    Comments which break these rules will be removed and posters given bans at the discretion of the moderators. Remember when you participate that the purpose of these threads is to develop community resources for those who come to r/Fitness for help in the future.

    submitted by /u/purplespengler
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 28, 2020

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    How Many Days Do You Rest After Heavy Deadlifts?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 06:16 PM PDT

    I used to rest four days after my last deadlift. I used to work out every two days with an alternate workout each day, but now I work out Monday-Wednesday-Friday to give myself more recovery time. I just hit 405 for 5 reps on Wednesday, and now I'm finding 5 days isn't enough recovery time. I'm seeing some stuff online about people waiting two weeks to deadlift again. I want to gauge how I'll need to feed my recovery time from now on. How many days do you guys rest after doing a working set of heavy deadlifts for strength building?

    submitted by /u/shadowsdietwice666
    [link] [comments]

    Training programs for surfing

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 08:13 AM PDT

    Any surfers in r/Fitness? Other than surfing, what weight training programs do you do specifically to improve your surfing? Or without weights.

    submitted by /u/Seasurfnbird
    [link] [comments]

    When to start clean bulking

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 09:59 PM PDT

    Hi Reddit. I let myself get a little fluffy over the years and decided to gradually cut and managed to maintain my strength. I'd like to start building muscle again with a slight caloric surplus. I'd like to clean bulk and not get fat while bulking.

    My question is how lean have you stayed while bulking? Gaining some fat is inevitable, but I'd like to clean bulk and then cut in cycles without ever getting fat like my before picture.

    Attached is a current image of me on the right. It's hard to gauge body fat percentage from a picture, but is my current physique more of a starting or end point for a clean bulk in terms of leanness?

    https://i.imgur.com/hSbBH36.jpg

    submitted by /u/Captainlinger2000
    [link] [comments]

    My calves burn like crazy when touching toes

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 10:46 PM PDT

    When touching toes or leg stretches with a strap, my calves go on fire, while I CANNOT FEEL ANYTHING ELSE. People say they usually feel their hamstrings or back when touching toes, but I don't feel even a 1% stretch in those areas. It is all calves. I am now able to touch the floor (with 2 weeks of progress), but my calves burn like hell when I do. Is this normal?

    Everyone (including doctor) says I have tight hamstrings, but hamstrings feel pretty loose to me. For example, when I bend my legs to stretch hamstrings, the stretch feels very satisfying and comfortable.

    So do I basically need to stretch my calves like crazy or is there something else to it? I already stretch my calves a good amount.

    submitted by /u/KungFuPandaUniverse
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for Running

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 02:03 AM PDT

    Getting into running again after a looking break. I'm getting some gnarly pain in my shins when I do though. I thought maybe this was because I hadn't been active for a long time but after a few months of getting back into it my shins still stop me from going too far.

    Is this a case of doing something else to strengthen the legs, or a sign I should stop running and try something else? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/CosmographyMusic
    [link] [comments]

    Band workouts for old beginner

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 09:40 AM PDT

    I have been a part of r/fitness for a few years running various formz of 5/3/1 and nsuns during my time.

    Now however, I am looking for something for my mum. She is looking to get stronger and more fit, and I am trying to find a program that works around bands, a little step up, 2KG dumbbells, 4kg dumbbells and a set of bands.

    She really is a beginner, and struggles with balance so I wanted to find something thats more foucsed on just getting her to be more active. Does anyone have any recommendations?

    submitted by /u/F1Fan92
    [link] [comments]

    How different is hypertrophy from body weight exercises to free weights?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 09:17 AM PDT

    So I was wondering how much difference there is in hypertrophy produced from free weights to body weight exercises. For instance would a person be able to make same gains if he worked out and followed an optimal workout schedule in a gym and if he worked out using his body weight while having an optimal diet. From what I understand you can make the same amount of gains from body weight exercises although it's more difficult to progress as you progress with different exercises than volume of weights. I am a complete beginner so pardon my lack of knowledge. I would like to know if there is any research done on the same and what are your opinions on the topic.

    submitted by /u/caizo_ryan
    [link] [comments]

    Lats activation problem

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 09:48 AM PDT

    So hey guys.Ive been doing pullup for over 7 months now and i havent seen that much progress.My lats didnt feel sore at all after sessions and I First noticed that my form was wrong.Since then i have fixed my form and it has helped me activate my lats but not a lot.I am able to do about 18 perfect pullups or 3 muscle ups in one go.But my lats just dont seem to grow and i only feel the activation a bit.Yesterday i tried parallel dips because i had been doing only straight bar dips and now my lats feel a lot more sore than after a pullup session(i do 50 pull ups when i train my back muscles).So is there anyone here able to help me grow my lats a bit faster.I am pretty fit myself but i really want to grow my lats more.Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/YoungWhizz
    [link] [comments]

    Cheat meal within calorie limits?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 03:33 AM PDT

    If I had a cheat meal once or twice within a week that didn't pass my calorie of macro limits will affect fat loss? I usually eat something like a burger or chips but keep it with my limit about twice a week. Is it detrimental to fat loss?

    submitted by /u/myster7600
    [link] [comments]

    Quostion about running every day

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 03:19 AM PDT

    So before quarantine, i used to go to the gym and do a moderate workout for about an hour, 3 times a week, so im by no means a fitness expert. But since the gyms have closed, i decided to try and run everyday. I now run about 6-7km (about 4 miles?) every day, but some of my friends have stated that it may be very unhealthy, and i want to know how true it is: So they say that its unhealthy to run every day (because your muscles need time to heal or something) and that it is actually more healthy to run every OTHER day, which sounds weird to me.

    Is this true? And am i actually hurting myself by running every day (and yes i admit, my muscles have been a bit sore lately), and should i switch to running every other day?

    submitted by /u/Tofu103
    [link] [comments]

    Can I workout everyday?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 02:09 AM PDT

    Sorry if that's a stupid question. I'm really new to fitness and I downloaded fiton. I followed the total body workout last night and although it was really hard I enjoyed it. I actually woke up excited to have another go which is a first. I'm just wondering if I'd be at risk of hurting myself if I did it everyday. Is it advisable to split workouts by upper/lower body if I want to workout everyday? Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/Saragini
    [link] [comments]

    What are your thoughts regarding abdominal binders while working out?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 12:26 AM PDT

    Belly binders or waist trimmers. Do they actually help at all when you exercise? I'm not talking about those who underwent abdominal surgery or postpartum.

    submitted by /u/megsee03
    [link] [comments]

    Adding both milk and water to my whey protein drink

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 12:18 AM PDT

    So in short

    1 cup of whole milk

    1 scoop of whey protein

    1/3rd of a cup of water

    i've done a bit of research that water dilutes milk so will that amount of water added to my drink

    affect it in any way other than making the milk a tiny bit more thinner?

    Reason why i added that much water so i could drink my whey protein a bit longer because i tend to finish it way too quick

    Edit:I just started using whey powder after 3 years of training so i just want to ask to make sure if i'm taking it correctly

    Edit2: Thanks for the replies will read more

    submitted by /u/Bored_BystanderTNAL
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner Advice

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 11:22 PM PDT

    Hi! I'm just starting my fitness journey and I could really use some advice and tips. I have a couple of questions and it would really help if anyone could answer a few of them.

    1.) What are some good tips for starting to work out at home? 2.) What are some good/ cheap foods and meals that help you have found that's helped with weight lose? 3.) How often should a person switch up their workout routine? 4.) How many times a week should a beginner work out?

    Thanks to everyone in advance(:

    submitted by /u/FuqboiFetcher
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone successfully increased their workout volume over time?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 04:41 PM PDT

    I've been consistently training once a day 6 times a week for about a year now. I'm gonna have a generous amount of free time the coming months and Im looking into working out twice a day. I've been doing football/pilates in addition to my workouts.

    So my question is how does one deal with playing football/HIIT or other cardio stuff on the side if you lift twice a day? Do they count as one of the two workouts already? Or do you lift twice a day and the cardio counts separately. I couldnt really find an answer to this online.

    Thanks for any help!

    submitted by /u/runningshoes3
    [link] [comments]

    I bought a sit up bench and i need help fellas!!

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 11:22 PM PDT

    Hey people, i bought a sit up bench and i need help. How often should i do abs, and how long should i rest after finishing an exercise? 30 seconds, 1 minute? How many abs should i do to start with?

    Im 19 years old, male, 5'10 tall 165 pounds

    submitted by /u/mutt_fran
    [link] [comments]

    Bench Press Reps drop dramatically set to set

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 05:12 PM PDT

    My (dumbell and barbell) bench press reps can drop dramatically set to set. For example, Sets 1 and 2 i will do 12 reps then sets 3 and 4 will be 7 and 6.

    This is entirely because my chest gets tired very fast. I get that this is because im weak, but whats the best way to fix this issue? Should i stop increasing reps in the first two sets? Should i drop the weight?

    Whats the optimal way to fix this issue?

    submitted by /u/dupeofadupe
    [link] [comments]

    Workout Program Recommendations For Maintaining Consistency & Health/Happiness

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 10:25 PM PDT

    Dear r/fitness,

    I am posting on this community for the first time today, as I would like any recommendations on sticking to a workout program. Long story short, I've been going on a fitness journey for years. I originally started out wanting to workout for aesthetics (and sometimes still do) but I have found that I can only stick to a program for about 3-6 months as I never feel like I am achieving the good results and thus lose motivation. I have mainly done hypertrophy and strength training at home in a small home gym (as it was well equipped with free weights), plus running for cardio. I am interested in calisthenics but feel intimidated slightly as I am so used to free weights. I have just hit a period of feeling exhausted from wanting to workout but no longer doing it since I've stopped working out six days a week (again). I have read books like Mike Matthew's Thinner Leaner Stronger and am currently reading nutrition book Superhero Nutrition by Steve Zim (and plan on buying some of his workout books). Plus, I have seen all kinds of videos on how to workout (and eat well) on YouTube with guys like Jeff Nippard, AthelanX, Jeremy Either, Chris Heria of OFFICALNX and read a heck of a lot of articles. Are there any other sources I should be checking out? (Other then science too of course).

    I am just at my wits end right now because I am no longer working out, no longer enjoy working out but want to get back to it, so I am wondering, is there anything which I am missing? How have you been able to implement working out into your own life such that you really enjoy it? How have you been able to sustain working out? What exercises do you do? How many days a week do you workout? How many days off do you take a week? How much rest do you like taking between sets? What's your preferred way to train? Do you do full body or specific muscle groups? What cardio do you enjoy and regularly do? Are you doing a specific program? Most importantly, how have you been able to workout consistently such that you've improved your health and happiness? Any other info?

    Overall, I am at the point where I want to consistently workout to improve my health, happiness (and hopefully looks), because I want to live a long healthy, happy life, but I am struggling for sustainable consistency which I can maintain. Any insights are greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/adelelovesbooks
    [link] [comments]

    I'd like to start walking/running, any tips?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 10:22 PM PDT

    I used to be in track when I was back in school. Since then I've become a couch potato. I'd like to start walking at the track, but I'd appreciate some tips to start off. Would I begin by waking as much as I can until I'm tired, so is there a certain amount I should do and gradually build up by the week? I'd like to evolve the walking into running, which I really haven't had to do in a while. I'm not fat or anything, but I am really out of shape and have a dad bod I've been working on for a few years. I'd love to be back in shape but I just don't know how. I have no desire to go to a gym, so I'd really like to focus on the track. I got a new pair of shoes just a couple of days ago, I just need some help getting started. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/FantasticMrRobb
    [link] [comments]

    Exercise suggestions while walking?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 02:58 PM PDT

    Tl;Dr - exercise suggestions for my daily 13 mile walk without making me get called into the supes office for creeping out other officers.

    Hey guys, long time lurker here. Wanted to reach out to reddit and see if y'all could lend a helping hand in suggestions for exercises while walking.

    I work security and am still receiving a decent amount of hours (thankfully). My job requires me to walk for about 8-10 hours a day, averaging about 12-15 miles per day. While it's not the most glamorous job in a perfect world, now with nobody around but the same fat squirrel it's even more mundane.

    So if you've made it to this part thanks for pushing through. Are there any workouts I can do that wouldn't be too painfully obvious while walking? I do my best to engage and flex various muscle groups (arms, chest, core, glutes) while I'm walking to burn them out over time, but you can only do that for so long before getting bored or tired of them in general. Any pointers?

    submitted by /u/CatsBAM
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about "too much" cardio

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 07:11 PM PDT

    I've obviously been stuck at home for the past six weeks and I'm bored to tears, so I've been spending lots of time on my spin bike just because I have nothing else to do. I'll get work done at my bike desk, watch movies, etc, and it makes me feel like I'm being more productive than just sitting on the couch. I've been averaging about three hours a day, and recently I've been doing closer to four because I've been binging a TV show and am really bad about 'just one more episode'.

    I did a quick google yesterday about the effects of doing lots of cardio (let's be honest, I wanted the dopamine surge of knowing I was doing a good job) and found....a lot of mixed messages. Some stuff about how there's no such thing as "too much" as long as you aren't hurting yourself, but also lots of articles about how doing too much cardio can make you gain weight and can stop your body from reaping any cardiovascular benefits whatsoever. This all seemed counterintuitive to me but I'm curious as to whether there's any truth to it. Am I doing myself a disservice by spending so much time spinning?

    For reference, I was doing 1-2 hours, 4-5 times a week before the big C hit. I would say I'm biking at a moderate intensity most of the time, with intervals of high intensity and low to mix it up. I feel like I'm pretty 'in tune' with my body and will take it easy if I'm feeling worn out, but I haven't missed a day of spinning in over a month.

    I appreciate your insight!!

    submitted by /u/PM_Me_Thine_Genital
    [link] [comments]

    How to play the long game for fitness?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 09:53 AM PDT

    Hi, I'm a 26 yo male, with a kinda athletic lean body type that does not put on weight easily. I have been trying to get more fit and am working out like 2-3 times a week for the last 1.5 years. Before the current crisis, I used to go to the gym 2 times per week with a session playing some sport (football or badminton usually) or swimming. So like 3 exercise sessions per week.

    My question, in essence, is: What should I do to play the long game for fitness? Though I made a lot of rookie mistakes in general when it comes to fitness, I have gotten better at easing into higher intensity workouts and not getting pains/sprains/injuries often. My goal is to stay fit for my whole life. Being able to possibly be active even at the age of 50. Does anyone any advise regarding this?

    PS: I know its a vague question and any advice from ppl who have figured out maybe even pieces of it is welcome.

    submitted by /u/sachithgpai
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment