• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 9, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 09, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 09, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 09, 2020

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Long rest periods between sets?

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 10:06 PM PDT

    Currently with the state of things, I'm at home like most of the world and working out there. I have all the time in the world when I'm working out, and I'm curious if I can get more out of sessions with increased rest intervals between sets. I'm not in a rush, and I'm a home so I'd have a book or something, and it's not like I'm wasting any time or losing focus.

    Obviously you can usually squeeze out a few more reps if you wait an extra minute or two but is there any downside to increasing the duration between lifts? I'd assume potentially only conditioning but I'm already upping my cardio with the extra time as well.

    submitted by /u/4CrowsFeast
    [link] [comments]

    Why don't people use weighted vests more??

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 09:49 PM PDT

    Like especially in vertical training or running, why don't they use weighted vests? You are doing the same thing but with with more weight on you therefore making your muscles stronger, right? Are there any consequences to it or..?

    submitted by /u/qwertyZZZZZZZZZ
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any way to make makeshift weight clips?

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 09:44 PM PDT

    This quarantine is really starting to affect me and my gym set up is trash but it's something, and it just sucks not having your normal routine. Anyways, I bought a barbell and some plates, but it's this axle bar and one thing that I've found is that it's really slippery on my hands and, even for the weight as well.

    The plates have inner metal lining and that just glides across the pipe, since there's no metal turning or give whatsoever. It's only affecting me in trying to work on my hang clean technique, and when I'm readjusting or jolting up the weight, it shifts towards the end and I've just had to drop it bc it's impossible to readjust while doing it. For the bench it's equally annoying, and pretty much adapting to this whole thing has been annoying and frustrating, but what are you gonna do.

    I literally will try anything, bc I don't want to buy one online bc it's going to take forever to ship, and I don't even know if they'd fit on the fat bar, but I'm guessing they do since it's the same diameter as the end of an Olympic bar, just the whole bar is that thick.

    Off the top of my head all I can think of is using some kind of Velcro strap that will at least offer some sort of resistance to way going to one side, I'm thinking like a batting glove cut open and I could tie it around.

    That's pretty much all I got but has anybody else found a better way? Also my bench rack is just a water bottle carton stacked on a chair, and I can't go down all the way and I have to lift it off from basically my chest, so any advice for that as well?

    submitted by /u/moonkie888
    [link] [comments]

    Is carbs post-workout really necessary?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 03:43 AM PDT

    I am on a low-carb high-protein calorie deficit diet. After working out I normally eat protein but do I really have to eat carbs post-workout?

    submitted by /u/Cappai
    [link] [comments]

    As an incredibly inflexible person I don't make any progress with my stretching, what am I doing wrong and is there any hope?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 05:05 AM PDT

    Over the years my inflexibility has gotten even worse, despite its already poor beginnings. I've periodically attempted different routines to work on it, but I find that these routines rarely account for my extreme inflexibility, and the prospect of flexibility seems further and further away.

    I obviously have very tight hamstrings and I can't do a lot of back stretches effectively.

    Additionally it feels like im always going backwards. Recently I've been working in a bit of stretching to my daily life but yesterday I was doing some stretching and could get to about the middle of my shins, then in the evening I couldn't get nearly as low, and today I'm only reaching my knees.

    Just to give a quick view of what I do is usually 5 sets of 30 seconds with bent knees sticking my arse out keeping my back straight leaning forward. I know this doesn't sound like a stretch to most people, but it is for me.

    On this front I'm concerned I'm doing more damage than good, but I wonder if this regression is temporary and if I continue will I eventually overcome this? Or am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

    Reposting because I said the word 'start' in my last title and it got removed.

    submitted by /u/PlonkaDonka
    [link] [comments]

    3 miles with 45lbs of weight in 45 minutes. AKA Wildland Firefighter Pack Test

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 11:09 PM PDT

    I am a candidate for two different wildland firefighter organizations and both want to do the fitness test in the next couple weeks. I've been lazy and not training as I should, so I probably screwed myself.

    The fitness test involves walking 3 miles with 45 lbs of weight in 45 minutes, no running or jogging.

    I did a baseline test today and with me jogging intermittently I was about 1 minute over the time. My current plan is to do the test at home twice a day until I get called up to do the testing.

    Is there anything that I can do to help maximize my time and improve to the point where I can pass the test without having to jog.

    submitted by /u/SlightTechnician
    [link] [comments]

    LowBloodPressure/Hypotension

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 06:31 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, I have a serious problem. Every time I workout I have blood pressure drops with dizziness and so on. Backstory: I suffer from low blood pressure since I was a baby, nonetheless I have always practiced some sports. Since a couple of years tho I'm experiencing more and more problems linked to my blood pressure. I went to lot of physicians and everyone told me the same exact thing: "you suffer from low blood pressure but you are healthy as a fish". No one gave me some kind of solution to this problem. Whenever I am under a high load of exercise (like cardio, exercise that make me change body position, or leg exercises) I have cold sweat, weak body and nausea. I tried everything, changing the time that I eat with the time of the workout, integrate more salty food and in general try to be more hydrated. During any kind of workout I tried to: drink more water (failed), drink salted water (useless), drinking bcaa shakes (a little bit helpful but only with exercise where the legs where not involved), drinking sports drinks or sport drinks powders (nothing again). Not only these things makes nothing for my energy or blood pressure but they make me feel worse when I have the drops because I feel like I have to throw up. I don't know what to do anymore and I'm really sad that this problem made me stop working out and be fit in general. I'm starting again but today I had another big drop and, like most times, I almost passed out. Please, I need anything that can make me help even a little bit.

    P.s. my father and my aunt (from my father's family) suffers from diabetes but I have made all the check and I'm not diabetic

    submitted by /u/SpookyCIUFF
    [link] [comments]

    How long will it take?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 06:29 AM PDT

    I have a kinda strict regime. I'm a 13 year old boy and I'm looking to put on some recognisable muscle. I've always been skinny and I'm trying to break that curse. My regime insists of:

    • 30 Pushups

    • 50 Situps

    • 15 Burpies

    • A 4 - 5k bike ride

    • A 3k or more run

    These are usually spaced out with breaks. My question to you Reddit, is how long would it take to put on some noticeable abs/muscle?

    I'd like to have it before quarantine ends but who knows when that is...

    submitted by /u/_Freeze123
    [link] [comments]

    How long is the protein "life cycle" in the body?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 12:46 AM PDT

    People say you should be getting around 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight per day to gain muscle. I would imagine the exact timing though is not one day - for example, if I average the correct amount of protein over two days, with one day being a bit over and one day being a bit under, am I already losing muscle gains on the second day? If so, then how spaced out within the day does the protein need to be? If I have all the protein at breakfast and don't eat any more for the rest of the day - will I lose gains?

    Basically, does anyone know exactly how long the protein is available in your body to be used?

    submitted by /u/newbeansacct
    [link] [comments]

    Weighted Ring Rows vs Dumbbell/Barbell Rows

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 04:15 PM PDT

    Title says it all. What would be the major advantages/disadvantages of doing either? I've been doing dumbbell rows for a while but I've been thinking of doing ring rows with a weight vest.

    submitted by /u/cold1nfern0
    [link] [comments]

    Can i gain lost muscle back only by hitting the Protein intake goal?

    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 02:35 PM PDT

    So i lost a lot of muscle because i injured myself and couldn't train for 4 weeks, now with this lockdown and how i stopped hitting the 3800kcal goal i lost so much muscle. And now i cant get to eat more than 2500kcal

    My question is if i workout now and only hit the protein intake that i need to gain muscle and add some other calories can i get the muscle mass that i lost back?

    submitted by /u/royboom
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment