• Breaking News

    Sunday, April 5, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 05, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 05, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 05, 2020

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Picking a good adult-size trampoline for working out.

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 03:25 PM PDT

    Like the title says. This was the only kind of cardio that i as a kid could do until i dropped, and I've always missed it so much! I know there are Olympic style trampolines out there, but they say that these can be really dangerous for beginners because you can gain some serious altitude with those things. And i probably can't afford one anyway.

    I've read that the rectangular ones are better for jumping high, and the round ones are safer as you tend to bounce back to the middle. My main question would be: Can i get away with buying a used, or new, large trampoline meant for kids (AKA sold in toy/garden supply stores)? Or are these just not meant for long/daily exercise? I'm 5,9 tall and weigh around 190lbs on a good day.

    My biggest fear would of course be the mat ripping and me breaking something as i land on the hard ground. I'm not 16 anymore.

    Thanks in advance guys and girls!

    Edit: spelling.

    submitted by /u/FlakyMortgage
    [link] [comments]

    13M asking a question.

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 11:14 PM PDT

    I'm 13 and 5'5", 125 lbs. I've been doing 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, and a 1 mile run for the past 4 days, I was thinking of having a rest day every 5 days, and limiting my calorie intake to 1,500 - 2,000 calories. Could these factors make a significant difference in my body within the next two months? I've been trying to take advantage of quarantine, and I'm trying to look good when I go back to school.

    submitted by /u/Poopex
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for advice for someone who is disabled.

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 02:58 AM PDT

    I have a repiphysis (a metal prosthetic in place of my femur bone inside my skin and muscle of my thigh), I am unable to run or jump. I also have had cancer in my back which caused me to be unable to do sit ups (without a pillow) and unable to lift weights. Are there low impact excersize I could do to help gain more muscle in my leg and to lose weight?

    submitted by /u/MugBugBabe
    [link] [comments]

    Are some people just not built to do weighted dips?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 04:27 AM PDT

    I've seen this echoed in a few places online. There are plenty of stories online of people damaging their sternum or clavicle doing weighted dips.

    Personally I've always felt some pain (or more, intense pressure) in these areas when coming off the dip bar or rings. Recently this has been lingering past my workouts, so I'm laying off them for the moment and going to deload when I'm back on them.

    Is there any truth to this claim that some people are just not really built to do heavy weighted dips? I know that some people will claim that with the proper form anything is possible, but I'm honestly not so sure. Experimenting with different amount of forward lean just seems to shift the pressure between the sternum and clavicle.

    Thoughts? Is this just an exercises that's commonly performed incorrectly?

    submitted by /u/anon_1349
    [link] [comments]

    Is this exercise dangerous ?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 03:58 AM PDT

    I just started running inside my bedroom which is 6 to 4 meter wide each day since 1 week, I reach the end of it in less than 2 seconds then turning and again and repeat for like 1 hour

    It felt good and I enjoy it, I go barefoot with only socks and have no prior experience in running , I have some question since now I have small blister and I wonder if this technique is even considered running and is good for my health,

    maybe I am putting too much exercise on certain part of my legs by going back and forth like that, I dont want to breack something

    submitted by /u/guest103e
    [link] [comments]

    Lean bulk advice

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 12:04 AM PDT

    Hello all, so I am wanting to create a plan to start a lean bulk after this quarantine is over (lose fat, gain muscle). For reference, I am a 22 year old male, 6,3, 232-235 lbs. and can eat 2582 calories a day for maintenance. I plan on being 200-300 in deficit everyday and consuming a high protein diet, I'm still working on a ratio for macros. I plan on lifting four days a week for one to two hours at the end of the day. I have a few questions though, one is a meal plan. I can cook pretty well so that isn't an issue. But I need help planning it out. I plan on doing my program twelve weeks at a time. I prefer to eat three meals a day and maybe add a protein drink as a snack. I also work third shift FYI. I could find a way to eat more than three meals if it's necessary but I just don't want this to interfere with my work life or anything. I can eat generally anything but I prefer it be reasonably appetizing. Also, my experience with trying meal prep has never been great so unless you have a great exception I'm not excited to try that. My job is also a desk job and there's refrigerators and microwaves too for food. So I need help planning my meals for the week. What to buy, how to cook, nutritional content etc. I also don't plan on taking any pre workout either. Protein powder is about the extent of it. Also, what snacks would you recommend for right before a workout, if any at all? Thanks everyone.

    *edit: sorry, this should be called a body recomposition not lean bulk. It's late, my mistake. Also, if there is a problem with what I'm planning (like it won't work for instance) please let me know.

    submitted by /u/ExtremeSwim
    [link] [comments]

    Victory Sunday

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Victory Sunday Thread

    It is Sunday, 6:00 am here in the eastern half of Hyder, Alaska. It's time to ask yourself: What was the one, best thing you did on behalf of your fitness this week? What was your Fitness Victory?

    We want to hear about it!

    So let's hear your fitness Victory this week! Don't forget to upvote your favorite Victories!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Diet question

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 02:46 AM PDT

    I'm not sure if this is the right thread/community for this question, but I didn't know any one that was better.

    So I'm about 315 pounds and I've been trying to get a hold on my weight for a while now but I've finally just decided to do it with no excuses anymore and I'm working on a diet plan currently. I'm male and my exercise currently is about 3 miles a day walking and that's it. I honestly don't really know where to start with the exercise part. I've just been walking because we have a long dirt road I can do that on. I'm not sure what else I can/should be doing. I can't do any running/jumping at the moment due to a recent knee surgery.

    My second question is that how many calories should I be eating a day. I was thinking about cutting it to 2800 because that's the recommended I've seen for people, however I'm not sure if dropping it from whatever I'm eating now, all the way down to 2800 is a good choice. Would that like mess you my body for having that large of a change so fast? Or should I just go for 2800 or even something smaller?

    submitted by /u/AhaArt64
    [link] [comments]

    I’m a 16y/o male looking to take advantage of my free time

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 09:53 PM PDT

    For context I'm 5'5 and 115 pounds. I'm not fat but I don't have much muscle either, I don't think I'd consider myself skinny fat though. Here's a pic of me normal/resting https://imgur.com/a/cNLmQUt and here's one of me flexing https://imgur.com/a/Nqg1HH8 . In middle school I used to work out a little. In 6th grade I worked out for 6 months every day missing like 5 days total (2 minute plank, 20 push ups, 10 chin ups; Saturday's the planks were 4m).

    Summer of 6-7 grade my dads friend said what I was doing would stunt my growth and I stopped completely and decided I wouldn't work out until I graduated high school. In eighth grade I realized that that guy was fat anyway and calisthenics don't stunt your growth so I started again near the end of eighth grade using the sworkit app and near the end of second semester I stopped because the free version was gone and only premium worked. So I didn't work out but I had random workouts whenever I felt self conscious throughout 9th grade.

    Now I'm tenth grade my body isn't what it used to be although i am taller but still my abs aren't has defined and my chest in rather small and my eating habits were just terrible the last few years so I put on some fat. I have a girlfriend now (who I'm not seeing rn obviously but we text) and I want to look better than I do rn. I'm looking for a good workout routine that I can stick to, that focuses on my upper body back shoulder and abs. I'd probably also want the occasional leg workout so what I'm really looking to do is work out 6 days a week 1 hour a day (abs every day and the rest of my muscle groups here and there).

    Does anyone have any advice before I start and maybe a good workout routine I can follow? All help appreciated and thanks for reading!

    TLDR: 5'5 115lbs click photos for my body type. Want to workout 6 days a week 1 hour a day with a stretching off day. Need miscellaneous advice for beginners, looking for a workout routine to follow. At home exercises only like calisthenics and other etc.

    EDIT: Currently I can do 30 push ups in a row, hold a 2 minute plank although I haven't tested further since 7th grade, 10 pull ups, like 12 chin ups, and as for abs like 5 V ups in a row

    submitted by /u/jrubin04
    [link] [comments]

    Is There Anything I Should Know About the Water Diet?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 12:46 AM PDT

    From about last year Christmas I was about 270 pounds and now cut down to at the moment 242. I wanna go down to for now 220 pounds and just track and see from there and cut lower if need be. And the fastest way I have seen so far is by only drinking water. I found out more or less by accident because I had no money to buy any food when I was already losing weight from reducing eating, cutting out soda 100% and just keep doing my walks since I walk about 30 to 40 minutes to work one way and 60 to 80 minutes both ways on most days. But I wanna jump start that process on losing more weight even faster and the water diet seems like a good method. For reference I am 6 ft, 3 in height with a light activity level by walking an hour to 80 minutes round trip time 5 days a week when I go to work and I am right now 242.2 pounds. What should I know before I jump into this or should I not at all and just do something different to get a massive calorie defict.

    Thanks for any responses in the future.

    submitted by /u/Moonlands
    [link] [comments]

    If I take 10gms of casein protein 3 times a day at an interval of 4 hours will it put pressure on my liver??

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 04:09 AM PDT

    As I'm burning fat and on a calorie deficit diet so to complete my protein intake from time to time I'm planning to take 10gm casein protein every 3-4 hours between meals. I want to know whether it will affect my liver as casein is a slow digesting protein so it'll keep my liver busy for longer duration. So will there be any extra pressure on my liver or not??

    submitted by /u/haha_charade
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a decent jump rope for a reasonable price

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 11:42 PM PDT

    Jump roping is my main form of workout. During days like these my only option os to go down the parking lot and the ground just absolutely destroy my speed ropes. Please guide me to some of the better quality ropes as Amazon has too many of them and some seems pretty fishy. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Boborinooo
    [link] [comments]

    Uneven glutes

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 11:05 PM PDT

    Hey guys I've began lifting and trying to grow my glutes, everything has been going well and I am learning a lot. I am right handed but for some reason it is harder for me to work out my left leg and glute. It takes longer for me to do workouts correctly with my left leg and although I don't mind that and I know it's all practice I have noticed my left glute is growing stronger and bigger than my right. How can I fix this? Should I do extra reps on the right side or find specific workouts for my right side to even it out? Any advice helps, I know this sounds pretty silly but it has been on my mind since I am quarantined and working out is the highlight of my day.

    submitted by /u/whoreabble
    [link] [comments]

    Does doing activities overnight burn more calories?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 09:51 AM PDT

    I'm an overnight nurse at a local hospital and for reasons we already know, I come home fairly tired. But shit, I gotta go to the store and get my essentials for the day/week. I haven't slept for maybe around 14 hours total (on my feet) and I'm walking around for an additional 45 minutes after that.

    Granted, my body is not begging for sleep, I can honestly take my time doing my things during the day and finally go to sleep around noon tops (my shift is 7pm-7am). Is the fact that I was up all night keeping a brisk walk most of the time burn more calories than if I was well rested and doing these things during the day? Or is my body trying to retain energy, thus burning less?

    I'm honestly just curious, i'm not a big fitness guy. I would go to the gym (during the day!) maybe 3 times a week, do cardio, some free weight stuff, and a cooldown.

    EDIT: I take a nice relaxing shower before I go back out after work of course.

    submitted by /u/MexicanGuey92
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment