• Breaking News

    Friday, April 24, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 24, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 24, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 24, 2020

    Posted: 24 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Car pushing workout

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 06:51 PM PDT

    Hi this may be silly, but would it be an ok workout to push a car in neutral with someone steering? Shelter in place is making it really tough to find strength training options and this could be a fun change of pace. For someone who hasn't done this before, anything to pay attention to or distance/weight to consider?

    submitted by /u/fatkidskinnyjeans
    [link] [comments]

    How long can you maintain on no weights?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 07:03 PM PDT

    I've resorted to doing cardio via different jump rope workouts from jump rope dudes on youtube, & for resistance/weights: i've been doing pull-ups/push-ups and stackable resistance bands.

    It's been ~5 weeks now & i think I'm maintaining. How long do you think you can maintain muscle mass off of resistance bands/pull-ups/push-ups?

    submitted by /u/heyyo789
    [link] [comments]

    Is an under-desk pedaler worth it?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 06:59 AM PDT

    I'm working remotely for the time being and was wondering if I should invest in pedals for under my desk. This would not be my only form of exercising; I am really active. Would this do anything for me though?

    submitted by /u/444shadow
    [link] [comments]

    Physique Phriday

    Posted: 24 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Physique Phriday thread

    What's the point of having people guess your body fat? Nevermind that it's the most inaccurate method available, (read: most likely way wrong - see here) you're still just putting an arbitrary number to the body you have. Despite people's claim that they are shooting for a number, they're really shooting for look - like a six pack.

    So let's stopping mucking around with trivialities and get to the heart of the matter. This thread shall serve two purposes:

    1. Physique critiques. Post some pics and ask about muscles or body parts you need to work on. Or specifically ask about a lagging body part and what exercises worked for others.
    2. An outlet for people that want to show off their efforts that would otherwise be removed due to Rule 4, and

    Let's keep things civil, don't be a creep, and adhere to Rule 1. This isn't a thread to announce what you find attractive in a mate. Please use the report function for any comments that are out of line.

    So phittit, what's your physique pheel like this phriday?

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Is it beneficial to do both Sprints and Long Distance Running Workouts or is it counterintuitive?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 08:48 PM PDT

    So I understand that sprinting exercises help you develop fast-twitch fibres that help increase explosiveness and strength, which is something I'm aiming for as a basketball player.

    I also still want to maintain my cardio and long distance ability to have more energy throughout the entirety of games. However I understand that long distance running helps develop short-twitch fibres at the expense of fast-twitch fibres, which helps endurance (I think that's right?).

    So would it be beneficial for me to do say 3 days of Sprints exercises for every 1 day of long distance running? Or should I only focus on sprints as long distance running will be counterintuitive to my sprints training.

    Simply, can I get the best of both worlds or do the workouts take away from each other too much?

    N.B. I'm also doing plyometrics and things of that nature to help my vertical/explosiveness.

    submitted by /u/MrSwankyBLUM
    [link] [comments]

    When squatting what's more important the angle between the feet or the angle between the knees? I have a birth defect that makes keeping my feet in the correct position very hard.

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 01:58 PM PDT

    I have a birth defect that makes my feet point outwards even when my knees are pointing forwards. I've heard that when squatting your feet should be pointing outwards at a 15~30 degree angle, but when my feet are at that angle my knees are basically parallel to each other. I am unable to squat at that angle, but I can squat if I ignore my feet and just concentrate on opening my hips. When I do that my knees seem to be at the correct position, but my feet wind up at a 45-degree angle. Is it okay if I squat like that?

    submitted by /u/gbRodriguez
    [link] [comments]

    Multiple short workouts?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 11:32 PM PDT

    I'm not big into fitness, though I do eat a very specific diet. Recently because of quarenteen I been doing a few variations of bicep curls my friend showed me followed my push-ups, planking, and then squats. I have been doing this 2 times a day for the last week. I've been receiving mild gains and my muscles don't feel fatigued. Is it bad or good to be working out in this style? Also should I take days off even though I do not feel discomfort?

    submitted by /u/cap_wap_
    [link] [comments]

    Routing generator recommendations

    Posted: 24 Apr 2020 04:12 AM PDT

    I have bands, a pull up bar and a foam roller. Does anyone know of a site that will generate a routine based on what equipment you have?

    submitted by /u/rebeltreble
    [link] [comments]

    I need help with the pain.

    Posted: 24 Apr 2020 03:43 AM PDT

    [Serious]

    I am a bit heavy on the chest and have hard time running. It hurts like hell even when I'm in three sports bras. I'm down 50 pounds but I really want to start running. I don't know where else to post this. Is there any suggestions for bras or ways to prevent bouncing?

    (I've been really hesitant to post this because I don't want people being stupid about this question, I'm being for real, please be mature!)

    submitted by /u/livisokay
    [link] [comments]

    Full body in one day or split?

    Posted: 24 Apr 2020 01:19 AM PDT

    Im 16 and currently on a dirty bulk because im very skinny and only 6% body fat. I am a week in and have been everyday getting 3.1-3.3k calories by using mass gainer shakes and food everyday , compared to i used to get 1-1.8k a day before i started bulking. i workout 3-4 days a week. On the days i workout i do every upper body muscle so i'll work out bicep tricep forearm traps shoulders chest back all in 2 hours and i'll do this 3-4 times a week. I then do abs on my rest day. Is it better to split these workouts or is it effective doing everything in one day?

    submitted by /u/Haider890
    [link] [comments]

    All volume on one exercise?

    Posted: 24 Apr 2020 12:30 AM PDT

    Would it be beneficial if did like 10x10 on standing bicep curl, and then im done? Instead of 3 other exercises?

    submitted by /u/Elliot__j
    [link] [comments]

    Increase Bench Max

    Posted: 24 Apr 2020 12:26 AM PDT

    So I've been maxing around 300 lbs for like a year. When I work out I do ~10x3 att ~225 lbs, followed by incline bench, flies and then some cable triceps.

    Is there a quick way of increasing my max?

    submitted by /u/legendarisk_broder
    [link] [comments]

    Bench width and shoulder health

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 07:21 PM PDT

    I bought a rack, barbell, and weights a few months ago. I had an older adjustable bench already. The width of the bench at the top is only 8 inches. I've been having shoulder issues since I've started working out at home, vs previously at the gym. Is the narrower bench harder on my shoulders or could it be something else?

    A new bench was in the plans eventually. I'd consider moving it up but everything is sold out currently anyways.

    submitted by /u/Jacob5514
    [link] [comments]

    Fasting

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 04:45 PM PDT

    So I'm considering fasting as part of my exercise routine. I plan on not eating until dinner, and just making sure that what I'm eating is healthy. My question, though, is when do I exercise when doing this? Do I do it before I eat, or afterwards?

    Additional information: I'm 15, skinny but chubby (the gut is getting out of hand) and male

    submitted by /u/SoS54
    [link] [comments]

    significantly subfailure sets for Hypertrophy

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 05:51 AM PDT

    There seem to be two schools of thought I've heard regarding hypertrophy. One is more volume-focused, arguing that total volume, no matter how it's distributed, is the only real factor that matters for hypertrophy. Another school of thought is more failure-focused, arguing that closeness to failure is what matters most for determining how much a particular set will contribute to hypertrophy.

    I'm wondering how these two ideas interact in the following example. Let's say my AMRAP for bodyweight pullups is 15. On one hypothetical day, I'll do 4 sets of 13 pullups with 'enough' rest, typically ~4-5 min. On another day, I'll do 10 sets of 5 pullups with 'enough' rest, probably ~1-2 min. The 5 pullup sets are obviously very submaximal. Also, let's ignore rest as a variable here: assume that the last set of pullups is just as easy as the first.

    Which rep/set scheme would have greater hypertrophy? Or would the equal volume mean that they'd be essentially the same?

    submitted by /u/happiiiface
    [link] [comments]

    If you have to lower the weight, does that make it junk volume?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 03:17 PM PDT

    I have 2 bicep curl exercises at the end of my pull workout. The incline curls I do 10 reps of 20lbs for 3 sets. Then I move in to concentration curls for the same sets/reps and by that time I can't do it with 20lbs and I have to lower the weight to 15lbs. Since I have to drop the weight, is it even effective still or worth having in my workout? I've looked on the internet but still don't completely understand "junk volume" I still put a lot of effort in the curls but can't lift as much as I can when I'm not tired. I'm 14 if age has something to do with anything.

    submitted by /u/Scrub-papa
    [link] [comments]

    Strength training: many different exercises with fewer sets/reps vs fewer exercises with more sets?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 02:26 PM PDT

    I was wondering about the effectiveness of each workout structure but unfortunately could not really find much information online. Currently, I get about 3-4 separate exercises every time I work out (currently about 5x a week at home) but typically do 4-5 moderate-rep sets per exercise.

    Would it be better, worse or equivalent to instead focus on a greater variety of exercises targeting the day's muscle group (while not compromising on progressive overload) while reducing the amount of sets per exercise to make it fit within the same time budget (say 6 separate exercises with 2-3 sets each)?

    submitted by /u/coaxialgamer
    [link] [comments]

    Running plus gym; legs not getting enough rest? Negative impact?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 09:32 AM PDT

    I do full body workouts monday, Wednesday and Friday. Other days I run. I'm following a specific training regimen for long distance running, so it's safe to say I put my legs to good use.

    When you want to build muscle you need rest days, so will my running impact that?

    submitted by /u/Crystalline3
    [link] [comments]

    I want to get into long-distance running. Where do I begin?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 11:37 AM PDT

    I've recently started working out and it's hard, albeit fun. I'm not overweight and I have no health problems - my only problem is my very bad cardio. I used to be very athletic when I was younger, but it's been years. As someone who can do a fast jog for about 2-3 minutes, tops, it really amazes me when I see people running for over 10 minutes straight. I want to be able to run that long without throwing up!

    I've begun to "run" on the treadmill - it's not going very well. If I do a fast jog for about 2 minutes, I get tired and don't run anymore during my 30-40 minute treadmill session. If I run for 3+ minutes, I won't notice right away, but the second I stop moving I start getting dizzy and it really feels like I'm either about to faint or throw up. In this scenario, I get off the treadmill altogether.

    How do I do this correctly? Do I run for 2 minutes straight every day for a week, and then add on a minute for every week past that? Are there other good methods I should try out? I'd really appreciate some advice.

    submitted by /u/PinkPartyPants
    [link] [comments]

    Speed vs Strength?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 11:08 AM PDT

    I'm hoping to soak in some collective wisdom on a question I've been thinking about- is my goal speed or strength?

    Some context- I'm 27/m/215 and have struggled with weight my whole life. I'm fairly active (playing water polo, cycling about 11/week on average, etc.) and I've always approached exercise as a way of keeping off weight first, then as a way to improve in cycling/swimming, then as a way to get stronger. Given my priorities I always instinctually gravitated towards exercising for fatigue (lots of supersets, lots of sweating). I've always been able to maintain a base of fitness but the focus on sheer volume has led to burnout.

    Now that I can't go to the gym, pool, or really do long bike rides I've been focusing on body weight workouts, resistance bands, and speed/agility work on a football field near my house. I've been lamenting my loss of opportunities to lift which I've always associated with strength. (PS I'm totally aware that you can still build strength without weights)

    But I've been rethinking my goals. I want to swim faster and keep up with my friends on long hill climbs. Rather than really getting stronger to compensate and move my 215 of body weight I'd rather just be able to move faster. So, I've been leaning heavily on speed work (sprints, explosive movements, agility) and backing off the high volume of bodyweight workouts (body weight squats, push ups, pull ups, etc). I still maintain a base of pull ups, push ups, etc but have switched my focus from body weight exercises with running in between, to speed work and a longer run mixed in as the focus and body weight movements on top.

    I have definitely noticed more definition in my legs, improved cardio vascular capabilities, and, after a few weeks, a more trim waist line.

    My questions for y'all- does my line of reasoning make sense? How to I balance things without burning out like I've done in the past? Why don't I hear more about speed work as a way to build muscle and improve cardio?

    submitted by /u/kilgortrout562
    [link] [comments]

    What could be the problem ? (running-returning to sport)

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 10:06 AM PDT

    Dear redditers,
    I'd like to ask for your help in my "special" case. Long story short, I've always been living for sports, especially basketball. I used to be a semi-pro, standing at 1.80m tall (i know its not tall lol) and ~80-85kgs. I've always worked out hard, wanted to compensate my height with being fast, strong, and being able to jump as high as possible. I was able to dunk, so everything was fine. Sadly my mental health worsened in a fast pace, due to problems with my family and i even had a semi-torn achilles which put an end to my basketball career. So i developed a severe panic disorder and depression which lead to me living a very unhealthy and passive lifestyle and also had to take hormonal meds for like 1.5 years. The side effect of these meds were gaining weight pretty fast. I wasnt gaining barely any during my unhealthy lifestyle, but even though i was doing heavy physical work, i just gained more and more weight, and i got up to ~105 kgs. Which is around 20-25kgs more than my normal weight. Thankfully the meds helped me, i defeated my mental issues and now i'm able to live a fair life. But as I kinda got "old" stepping into my 29th this year i wanted to get back in shape, so i started to eat healthier and working out. My legs were pretty strong, i was able to run for eternity, and as i mentioned before, i was able to dunk even though i'm only 1.8m tall. My problem now, is that when i want to go outside and run, my leg just start to hurt so badly that i cant even run a kilometer. I wanted to be smart and start off slow and steady, thats why i only wanted to run a km, but after like 500meters, my calf and feet start to hurt so bad i can barely walk home. Of course i'm stubborn and want to show myself that I'm still rock solid, so i just keep on running for like another 100-200meters but it only gets worse and i just drag myself home. But during this, i barely break a sweat, and i dont feel tired nor starting to run out of breath, only my legs give up on me. So my actual question is, how could i get my legs back to a fair level? What could be the problem? My shoes? Running on concrete road? Or simply i have to accept that my legs are struggling and start out even slower? Also one plus info, i had no problem cycling for like 1hr (15kms), also i go out and play basketball sometimes, jumping around.
    Thanks in advance guys,
    I wish you all the best!
    Keep safe:)
    D.

    submitted by /u/twkzz
    [link] [comments]

    Weight Exercises With One (working) Arm

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 07:48 AM PDT

    So long story short I broke my wrist and am in a cast for three months. Working out was my number one stress relief during lock down and I was in week 8 of P90X when this happened and was really happy with how I was doing physically for the first time in a while. With that being said I don't want to lose all my progress. I was wondering if anyone had experience/ suggestions for how to work out with one arm/ if there's anyway to use resistance bands without putting stress on the wrist. Really open to anything.

    submitted by /u/xLargeChungusx
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment