• Breaking News

    Friday, April 17, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 17, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 17, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 17, 2020

    Posted: 17 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Long vs. Short time Jumping Rope

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 11:51 AM PDT

    Hello!

    Recently I've been jumping rope as cardio to just burn off a few calories. I used to do 6 rounds of 5 mins with a minute of situps or pushups in between. Recently, I've started doing 3 rounds of 10 minutes of jumping rope with the same exercises in between.

    I find that I go a little bit faster in the 5-minute rounds, but just barely.

    In terms of burning calories, which one is more beneficial?

    submitted by /u/cachapa360
    [link] [comments]

    Running tips for beginners

    Posted: 17 Apr 2020 01:18 AM PDT

    Hi I really want to start running. Currently I can't even complete a KM with stopping or exhausting myself. Yesterday I ran for 900m at a 6'21 pace. Any tips for improving this? My height is 6'1 and weight is 80KG

    submitted by /u/abhinavtyagiat1
    [link] [comments]

    Physique Phriday

    Posted: 17 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Physique Phriday thread

    What's the point of having people guess your body fat? Nevermind that it's the most inaccurate method available, (read: most likely way wrong - see here) you're still just putting an arbitrary number to the body you have. Despite people's claim that they are shooting for a number, they're really shooting for look - like a six pack.

    So let's stopping mucking around with trivialities and get to the heart of the matter. This thread shall serve two purposes:

    1. Physique critiques. Post some pics and ask about muscles or body parts you need to work on. Or specifically ask about a lagging body part and what exercises worked for others.
    2. An outlet for people that want to show off their efforts that would otherwise be removed due to Rule 4, and

    Let's keep things civil, don't be a creep, and adhere to Rule 1. This isn't a thread to announce what you find attractive in a mate. Please use the report function for any comments that are out of line.

    So phittit, what's your physique pheel like this phriday?

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Does having poor cardio mean you are in poor health?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2020 02:36 AM PDT

    I'm M 23 188cm 91kg (Body fat is probably around 16%) I've always been a pretty active person, always played sport, I'm on my feet all day at my job and I had been going to the gym for a few months (before this lockdown started) and was starting to show muscle gain.

    Anyway I thought while I've got nothing better to do I would just try a 5km run and I felt like death, I did it in 28 minutes but god I really didn't think it would be so painful. Now I've got no intention of being a runner, intact I hate running. But obviously I want to be healthy, so should I be concerned that my cardio fitness is bad, or is cardio completely different to actual health? (also for what it is worth my resting heart rate is 55bpm if that is relevant)

    submitted by /u/Arexz
    [link] [comments]

    What do you all think of my self-made "barbell"?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 12:36 PM PDT

    Found 3 17kg water buckets and a broom here where I am currently stuck. They give me some decent pull and curl exercises! Also overhead pressing works, but I have to do it relatively far from my face which is not optimal but oh well. Any other exercise suggestions with this unit?

    submitted by /u/malsetroy
    [link] [comments]

    Maintain weight/remove deficit after achieving weight goal

    Posted: 17 Apr 2020 02:57 AM PDT

    Hi everyone! I'm 22F, 160cm and have gone from 140lbs to 122.4 pounds in 7 months. Sustainable weight loss using MyFitnessPal, 10k steps a day and have been weightlifting for 3 years. Calories 1700 2 months, 1650 2 months, 1600 2 months, 1550 1 month-current.

    Looking for advice on how to increase my calories (so I'm not in deficit) without gaining weight. Maintenance seems to be around 1800/1900 but lower now because of lockdown. Essentially would like to eat like a regular person as much as possible, still track calories/macros but not restrict as much and still maintain the same weight.

    Hope you get where I'm coming from! I'm not a beginner but advice/experience from those who have been in the same position would be good so I'm more likely to succeed 😊

    submitted by /u/jeshikari
    [link] [comments]

    Rest Time Between Different Exercises

    Posted: 17 Apr 2020 01:01 AM PDT

    I'm relatively new to resistance training so I am not sure what my rest time should be between exercises. For example, I have to do 3 sets of diamond pushups and 3 sets of pike push ups, how long should I rest in between the diamond pushups and pike pushups?

    submitted by /u/MinerMan204
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner - Plan Advice?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2020 12:08 AM PDT

    So I've never really had a workout routine, I just ran or rode my bike whenever I felt like it, I was never overweight. But for about the past 4 months my life just wasn't great and I fell into a really bad depression, I didn't do anything all day but eat really shitty food. Luckily I was able to pull myself out of that, but I came out a lot heavier, like I'm currently the heaviest I've ever been. So now I really want to try to make working out a normal part of my life. I don't really have any specific goals right now, I would just like to lose fat and get a little more toned.

    My plan right now is to do 30 mins on the treadmill and then 15-20 mins of dumbbells, resistance bands, basically strength training. So about an hour a day and starting off at maybe 4 days a week. Since I don't have a specific routine that I'm following I guess my question is does this plan sound ok for a beginner? I'm really not comfortable going to gyms, so I'm trying to do what I can at home, I'm thinking about possibly buying a total gym model, do you think that would help a lot?

    submitted by /u/anm11x
    [link] [comments]

    Can cartilage/tendons etc. remember previous size and strength as muscles?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 06:18 PM PDT

    Hi, was curious if cartilage, tendon etc. (any connective tissue) may have a specific process involving rapid build the same way muscles do? I'm aware that muscles "remember" previous size and strength due to the number of nuclei built up previously.

    submitted by /u/DefiantSet8
    [link] [comments]

    How to improve tuck jumps/split lunge punches

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 05:06 PM PDT

    I'm doing insanity max 30 but I always struggle with tuck jumps. I can't get my knees up even to my hips. And on my split lunge jump i end up leaning forward onto my toes too much. How can I improve one these? Is it's all about core strength?

    submitted by /u/shelleybean1
    [link] [comments]

    Is there an advantage to knocking out all of your reps back to back as opposed to a circuit?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 04:16 PM PDT

    So I've been working on building out my home routine, and it's currently set up as a circuit that includes 1 min back to back of squats, crunches, planks, dumbbel military press, wall sits, and pushup variants (I of course warm up and do variants of each exercise depending on the day, but that's not the point of the post). There is a 15 sec break break between exercises, and I do this circuit 4 times.

    My question is - should I just be knocking out 4 sets of each individual exercise and moving onto the next one, or is the way I'm doing it (going through them one by one and repeating the circuit 4 times) totally fine? I was also doing EMOM before this, but I switched to a circuit because I found I was able to get more reps in with the break.

    If there are different advantages to each way, what are they?

    If it helps, my goals are to stay in/get in better shape to continue training to box once this is all over. Cardio (running, skipping rope, etc) is a part of my routine as well, but that's not relevant to the post.

    TL;DR - should I be doing all of my sets of one exercise back to back, or should I space them out in a circuit.

    submitted by /u/no_melody
    [link] [comments]

    No improvement?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 11:27 AM PDT

    I've been doing this certain HIIT workout every other day for about a month now, and I've noticed that I haven't really improved.

    Rather, I don't think I've improved because the workout is still just as straining and tiring to me now as it was when I first began.

    Is this normal? or am I doing something wrong?

    submitted by /u/BananaOldman
    [link] [comments]

    Running AtS2 with concurrent tail run training

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 05:09 PM PDT

    At the likely expense of some hypertrophy, I'm going to run AtS concurrent with running/hiking training.

    In part, just from being cooped up and needing to be more active in general, but also I had been training for a 20mi trail race that was cancelled.

    It's not really out of my norm to lift and hike, but I'll be adding a lot more running volume than I'm used to.

    Is this a topic of interest for anyone? Personally I'm interested to see how well they jive together.

    Edit: more about me

    Bw 200lbs Sq 335 Dl 374 Bn 220

    These aren't my all time pb's but my current numbers.

    Running wise I can do 8mi in 1h40m on a trail with about 1500f of elevation gain. I'm not fast but I'm not looking to be so much as just able to keep going. If I can get to a sub 5h 20mi trail run and a sub 13h 100k that's about all I'm looking for.

    submitted by /u/JmsVndrbk
    [link] [comments]

    Low ROM/hard to feel glute activation - kicking leg straight back vs. 45 degrees back and out

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 11:48 AM PDT

    I feel like I have a harder time getting a good squeeze and ROM when I kick straight back for something like a donkey kick, versus when I move my leg back and out to the side 45 degrees ( | | vs. | \ ) with something like a banded kickback.

    Due to my biomechanics, I have massive external hip ROM, and limited internal ROM. I feel like this may have something to do with it.

    Am I doing something wrong with my posture or technique? Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

    submitted by /u/DartHackin
    [link] [comments]

    How to easily reach optimal BPM?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 10:57 AM PDT

    Hi! I recently started to lose weight, and it's been going stellar. I've also been biking to get some excercise in, but today was the first day I used a fitness tracker. What I do is that I go and cycle to a nearby town, take a breather, drink some water, and go back. About 12 kms, half an hour. However, I saw my blood pressure stats, and it was 108 tops before I stopped, and 180 after. I get that I need to go a bit more leisurely to get it down, but how do I get it up starting the excercise?

    https://imgur.com/a/HDGvFJJ the screenshot

    Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/DerpyChop
    [link] [comments]

    Is 1.5-2g of Protein Per Pound Fine?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 04:04 PM PDT

    I am on a ketogenic diet, but basically eating equal protein and fat calorie wise. Trying to bulk, very skinny right now. Like my body fat is low, but I'm jogging (2 miles), boxing (30 minutes), and doing calisthenics (hollow body holds, planks, situps), and some bicep curls and squats. If I get 1.5g-2g of protein per pound from chicken breast, eggs, bacon, sausages, is that fine? I'm a healthy young adult, no health problems, kidneys are fine. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ShouldBeWorking-
    [link] [comments]

    Pulse spikes initially, rest, and everything is fine?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 02:28 PM PDT

    Ok, I admit it. I've been cheating with the cardio and focused to much on the heavier lifts. This however made me discover an interesting phenomenon.

    I've been alpine touring (splitboarding tbh) this week and during the initial climb every day my pulse spiked quite a bit. Than I stopped when it got to heavy, rested until the pulse went down and then kept going.

    I repeated this 2-3 times and after that there was no problem. I could just go a d keep on going without needing more breaks for rest. This happened on every tour.

    Can anybody explain this phenomenon?

    submitted by /u/Flaeskpannkaka
    [link] [comments]

    How much effect do isometric & isotonic have?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 03:21 PM PDT

    Due to quarantine, i'm home all-day. I've been cutting for 3 months, and I'm at 105 with 20% body fat.

    Will isometric & isotonic exercises have effects during this time, in regards to gaining muscle mass? Or will it just help with not losing muscle mass? I'm eating about ~50 grams of protein a day.

    submitted by /u/Comprehensive_Set
    [link] [comments]

    How can people say that the time of day when you workout doesn’t matter?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 06:35 PM PDT

    Your body obviously needs protein to build muscle, but your body can't store protein. It can't store any of the amino acids, let alone the whole polymer chain that makes up the protein because they're just so big and wouldn't fit inside any cells. Once protein gets digested, it either gets used to make muscle, be stored as fat, or come out the other end. This means that the protein you ate at 8AM-1PM isn't used to build muscle if you work out at 4PM. The only proteins that is used to build muscle is the protein digested after the workout.

    Am I wrong? I'm mostly asking for outside opinion since I've never crossed this question online.

    submitted by /u/nofapisfake
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment