• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 14, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 14, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 14, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 14, 2020

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    How should cardio feel?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 09:24 PM PDT

    Hello, I was wondering how should cardio feel? Cause I don't know if I should be trying to kill myself with intensity or just keep a mild heart rate going for longer. I feel like I am dying each time I do cardio.

    submitted by /u/KingHenryIXI
    [link] [comments]

    Which is better for my health: Walking or cycling?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 07:08 AM PDT

    The ice has finally cleared off the sidewalks in my town and I can take my bicycle out again. But should I give up my daily walks in favor of cycling? Is walking 5km better for my body than cycling 5km? Or is it a matter of time rather than distance?

    submitted by /u/Jerswar
    [link] [comments]

    How do you combat mental boredom during workouts / running?!

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 01:27 PM PDT

    Hi! Im 29f. I'm new to this subreddit and fitness in general. I don't normally get excersize other than walking and weekly badminton but need to keep active during lockdown. So I've started home workouts and jogging. Well... trying. By far my biggest, hugest problem is immediate severe mental boredom. Listening to music helps but does not solve it. I feel compelled to stop because of severe mental boredom way before I need to stop physically. I really can't cope with it! I am a person who gets bored VERY, very easily in general so perhaps it is just the way I am? Thanks for listening!

    submitted by /u/elle-10810
    [link] [comments]

    Monthly Fitness Pro-Tips Megathread!

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Monthly Fitness Pro-Tips Megathread!

    This thread is for sharing quick tips (don't you dare call them hacks, that word is stupid) about training, equipment use, nutrition, or other fitness connected topics that have improved your fitness experience.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Rest time and progressive overload

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 02:43 AM PDT

    Hi,

    For hypertrophy purposes :

    Should I keep my rest times consistent every week, and try to increase reps and sets for progressive overload ?

    Or should I take the rest time i need in order to achieve my goal of repetitions/weight?

    Because if i'm able to do more reps/weights because i took more rest time than last session, am i really gonna improve my physique ?

    submitted by /u/smeyichou
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to overtrain when you’re only doing body weight exercise or lighter weight exercises?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 04:07 PM PDT

    Since the beginning of lockdown (about three weeks here) I've haven't taken any rest days because it feels bad enough not being able to move about a lot. I usually would go to the gym and lift heavier weights but I don't have that at home. Is it still bad for my muscles if I don't take rest days? I still use resistance bands and ankle weights for exercises, and my heaviest dumbbell is 4.5kg. Occasionally I will lift a 20kg bag of rice haha, but my arms are not strong enough and the bag is really bulky so it's very clumsy.

    submitted by /u/apole2308
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone know any good workouts for the forearm

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 03:42 AM PDT

    I've been checking online for the past hour or so and sources mostly conflict with eachother and I can't find any definitive answer. Anyone know any ways to workout the forearm muscles?

    submitted by /u/reddit_everyman
    [link] [comments]

    Paid subscription VS youtube workouts

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 05:12 AM PDT

    I am fairly new to fitness, especially working out at home with no equipment and wanted to find out if paid subscription programs are worth it or am I better just finding workouts on youtube and saving the cash?

    Currently trying out gymondo for their full-body toning program and yoga basics to increase my flexibility, it's about £11 per month, there are many programs to follow, but not sure if this is better than free resources

    submitted by /u/utopiaconsumed
    [link] [comments]

    Stupid question... about counting macros

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 04:54 AM PDT

    So let's say I gotta eat 163 g of carbs, let's use rice as an example.

    Does that mean I gotta weigh out 163 g of rice an eat that?

    or

    A quick Google search reveals that 100 grams of white rice contains 28 g of carbohydrates. So does that mean I should be eating 580 g of rice? (163/28 = 5.8, which means 580 g of rice, right?)

    I'm just using rice as an example, please don't worry about me eating JUST rice.

    I feel like it's the second option but I'm so nervous now

    submitted by /u/PoesMyHardAsb
    [link] [comments]

    Left shoulder locks when doing push shoulder work?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 04:08 AM PDT

    I'm sorry if this is an injury post. My left shoulder locks without pain but is uncomfortable. For example when doing dumbell press or lateral raises the range of motion locks at about half way regardless of weight. However pulling work like lat pull downs or facepulls don't affect. Any ideas what I can do?

    submitted by /u/carlosbanditez
    [link] [comments]

    What nsuns accessories should I do if I have limited equipment?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 12:21 AM PDT

    I have an Olympic bar, 150kg in bumper plates, a sports cage with a pull-up bar, a few resistance bands and a bench. I don't have anything else other than those things. If I'm doing the 6-day deadlift focused routine what can I do as accessories with what I have? (Looking for specific exercise)

    Monday: Bench + OHP (Accessories - Chest, Arms, Back)

    Tuesday: Deadlift + Front Squat (Accessories- Back, Abs)

    Wednesday: OHP + Incline bench (Accessories - Shoulders, Chest)

    Thursday: Squat + Sumo deadlift (Accessories - Legs, Abs)

    Friday: Bench + Close-grip Bench (Accessories - Arms, other)

    Saturday: Deadlift + Front squat (Accessories - Upper Back, Legs)

    submitted by /u/Mobavvaly
    [link] [comments]

    Preacher/Scott Curl Machines - how to differentiate between a specific weakness in the elbow flexors VS a mechanical clash due to the fulcrum?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 04:04 AM PDT

    Preacher/Scott Curl Machines - how to differentiate between a specific weakness in the elbow flexors VS a mechanical clash due to the fulcrum?

    Example - select the lowest weight possible. The initial 30* of movement is "easy", the rest of the movement is then very hard and then impossible to complete the full ROM of the joint.

    Is this reasonably a sign that your Biceps Brachii are very weak compared to the Brachialis or that your limb proportions are not matching the lever/fulcrum so you're essentially pulling against and immovable force?

    I have tried taking DBs and an EZ bar to the bench which is far easier and allows the ROM to be completed but this would generally be expected VS a cable stack, as the resistance approaches 90*.

    before the 20,000 posts stating "majoring in minors" there is a specific need to keep both elbows at the same amount of shoulder flexion.

    submitted by /u/rainbowroobear
    [link] [comments]

    Really narrow hips and flat butt improvement

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 04:04 AM PDT

    Hello everyone! I have started glutes workout recently. My goal is to have 5x20 bodyweight squats, 5x20 bw hip thrusts and 5x20 bw lunges. So far I can only do 3x20 of each before my legs shake. I am 110 lbs and 5'3, I try to eat 90 grams of protein per day + 1700 calories.

    After about the 2nd round of my hip thrusts I feel that my glutes are not activated at all. If during the 1st round I feel them.. then that feeling completely diapers when I achieve the 3rd round. How to fix it?

    Squats are the easiest part so far.

    I don't feel my glutes at all during lunges.

    I would be very grateful if someone can add corrections to my routine:) Thank you for reading!!

    submitted by /u/disposable_expense
    [link] [comments]

    Underdeveloped Lat

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 03:18 AM PDT

    Hey Reddit,

    due to beeing a stupid kid and not knowing right, my left lat is visibly smaller than my right, I started lifting about a year ago, and little differences in the muscles grew into big. Now my left shoulder is bigger than my right because its more strain on them when im exercising due to the smaller lat on the left. Ik you have to be pretty stupid to train uneven, but I really was lacking strenght at this time and we moved and due to the whole carrying boxes my right lat grew bigger this time and now im stuck with this problem.

    Any tips would be very helpful.

    submitted by /u/exmchna
    [link] [comments]

    Any cool gym gear ideas?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 01:46 AM PDT

    So the gym I work at is, as everyone knows, closed atm. During this extra time we're trying to buy some new small equipment that people might enjoy. For example chains, special bars, etc... I'd be really happy to hear some cool ideas from you guys that some of you might think would be nice to have in a gym! :)

    submitted by /u/heyBeeterr
    [link] [comments]

    Where should the bar hit the chest on the incline bench?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 01:26 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    Where should the bar hit the chest on incline bench. I'm actually using DB's at the moment (due to home lifting) but the same idea goes. I'll usually flat bench at the gym and bring the bar down to about the nipple line.

    I see a lot of variance in videos online for incline press. Some people bring the bar down to nipple line like flat, others bring just below the collar bone (clavicle). Which is right?

    On flat bringing the bar to a point that is higher than nip line is dangerous on the shoulders. Same for incline?

    submitted by /u/count-duckula-69
    [link] [comments]

    Need new fitness/sport goals that are as big as losing weight (autism)

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 04:48 AM PDT

    I get bored if I don't have a big milestone to work toward. I need big activities and goals I can work toward. I have autism so I'm not sure what competition type things I can do. If they're from home that'd be WAY better. I get bored to the point I think gaining fat back and re-losing it is an option. I know about marathon running but would need a lot more goals than that. Help! Every bit of advice helps!

    Edit: I prefer goals that take years to master

    submitted by /u/IlliterateRed
    [link] [comments]

    How can anaerobic training be incorporated with strength/hypertrophy training, and is it even necessary?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 12:31 AM PDT

    My understanding is that lower intensity aerobic training can be fit around weight training without impacting too much on the later, but higher intensity anaerobic training can have a negative impact on size/strength progress.

    For someone who's interested in all-round fitness, is high intensity cardio even necessary if you're regularly lifting heavy weights and doing lower intensity cardio? By heavy weights I mean your typical barbell orientated routines geared towards maximising strength & size, not something like crossfit.

    By "is it even necessary" I mean is your body's anaerobic capacity going to meaningfully increase by lifting weights alone? If for example I was suddenly thrown into a game of football or other high intensity-interval exercise am I likely to be under-cooked despite a good aerobic base and regular weight training?

    How can anaerobic training be best fit into a typical weights routine given the potential negative cross over? Would it be better to incorporate the two together, e.g. sprints and squats in the same session? Or perhaps a periodization approach, which is what I'm guessing athletes playing sports like rugby & American football would favour given the rigours of the on-season?

    submitted by /u/nzomad
    [link] [comments]

    When should i do cardio?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 02:52 AM PDT

    Hey guys, i do a pull push leg split 6 days a week and leave a day to rest. At the moment im doing cardio daily as well (45 min bike ride) but i dont know if im better off doing the cardio an hour or so before or weights before the bike ride. Im 15 so I have quite a big appetite meaning i cant really do one straight after the other without eating. This probably sounds a bit stupid but i dont want to affect my gains. Any suggestions? Thanks

    submitted by /u/Benji2433
    [link] [comments]

    Ordered this package from fringe and it’s finally getting in. Any recommended programs I can do with this while I wait for the stands to come back in stock?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 10:39 PM PDT

    This is the package, I was doing phul for 3 months after having not worked out for almost a decade. So I'm not super versed in what I can do with this.

    https://www.fringesport.com/collections/weightlifting-packages/products/1-person-package

    submitted by /u/Blemblem321
    [link] [comments]

    Number of sets vs reps per week?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 10:36 PM PDT

    I've heard numerous resources claim that you should do 10-20 sets per week per muscle group, while others say you should do 30-60 reps per week. Obviously these go hand in hand, but which one should I prioritize? I often like doing longer sets (10 reps/set), so just 6 sets would already reach the upper limit of 60 reps/week, while not even hitting the lower limit of 10 sets/week. How should I balance these two?

    submitted by /u/__mahi__
    [link] [comments]

    How many sets and reps

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 12:57 AM PDT

    Hi I'm 15 male and started lifting weights a couple months ago and I'm wondering what the best amount of sets and reps to do to gain strength I've looked at programs like 531 but the problem I have is at my house I only have a bench press, a bar I can use for deadlifts and my roof is too low for standing shoulder press and I don't have a rack for the squats. I'm soon getting a all in one gym for my home gym that will hopefully help a bit.

    submitted by /u/fariskhan786
    [link] [comments]

    Deadlifts... with a trailer!!

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 03:18 PM PDT

    I've been really missing strength training with a set of plates a rack and a bar. Know I'm not alone. Realized today, I have an 8 foot long trailer, some 90lb dumbbells, some rocks, some car tires... I'm betting I could actually load it up with enough shit to be effective!

    Thing is, the grip width will be virtually non-existent. And I can kiss a typical bar path good bye. Can anyone tell me what they think, is this nuts or not? What the mechanics will train for better or for worse compared to a traditional lift? I personally think it could be crazy enough to work!

    submitted by /u/foul_nourishment
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment