• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 2, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 02, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 02, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 02, 2020

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    The Third Annual Garage Gym Competition (Virtual Powerlifting Meet) is Back! Full details in comments.

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 08:25 AM PDT

    Hey everyone, I am a moderator over on r/HomeGym and one of the broader Home Gym Community events we participate in each year is the Garage Gym Competition!

    I crossposted this last year here, and got a lot of great feedback, and especially with more and more people lifting at home right now, wanted to make everyone aware of the opportunity.

    We just launched our full website with details here: https://garagegymcompetition.wordpress.com/

    At the site you'll find details on the over $10,000 worth of prizes, 30+ sponsors, rules, FAQs, and results from the last two years.

    For those not familiar with the Garage Gym Competition, let me provide a quick overview:

    This is the third year for the annual, VIRTUAL, powerlifting competition that is made by, and for, anyone lifting in their own personal gym (Home, Garage, Basement, Living Room, etc.). Free entry, super easy to participate, and you can compete at any time during the week of May 10th.

    The majority of prizes are handed out on an "Open Raffle" concept, where whether you total 100lbs or 3000lbs, you have an equal chance of taking home some cool new gear. We do pull a few select items out for our Top Athletes, but it is a small portion.

    Prizes range from power racks, to bars, to shirts and banners, and even a $1,000 Gift Card to u/Repfitness ! Oh, and I personally donate money to the Special Olympics based on participation. So no down sides.

    Any questions, fire away!

    submitted by /u/dontwantnone09
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for a young first timer?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 07:09 AM PDT

    Hey everyone! Sorry if this ends up long I'll try to keep it concise and straight to the point. I'll introduce myself first, my name is Paul and I'm 16 year old with little muscle and a bit chubby. I'm excited to go the gym this summer with or without a partner but hopefully with. I was hoping that the kind fitness community would give me some pointers. I'll try to organize this post into different sections.

    My diet has improved a lot during quarantine, I've improved my portion size as well as my eating times. I'm getting lots of protein and good nutrients from wherever I can, but my lifelong problem is that vegetables gross me out, nothing I do can get me to eat them so I've tried to improvise. I plan on maintaining these improvements for good and was hoping for some exercise recommendations to go with my diet. Now I'm very inconsistent, every other day I start off with 3-5 pushups then do sets of 10-20 depending on how I'm feeling. I try to do sit-ups but I've gotten bad at them and have a hard time. I can't do enough pull-ups for a routine yet so those are out of the question. I'm thinking about dumbbells but how should I go about them? I'm clueless.

    If I don't get a partner what should I do? I want to do bench but I'm too shy to talk to anyone. What can I do instead for upper body? With lower body I'm clueless, I've never legs due to medical issues which I'm hoping to power through, what can I do to start off slow? I enjoy running on the treadmill but what should I do if I feel myself wanting to vomit? Last time I power walked for about 30 minutes and that was too much, I've gotten used to running so how can I find myself a good place?

    Since I'm flat footed, my ankles have collapsed and my feet point outward, it looks like an upside down triangle. All my life it's been easier to walk tiptoed so that's how I normally walk/run without shoes, with shoes I do everything better but my feet still aren't completely straight. When I squat with straight feet my knees bend inward so it's very difficult to do stuff like that, does anyone know ways to fix that? If anyone would like to see pictures I'll post them.

    Lmao I wrote this twice and cut out all the unnecessary bits, thanks for reading and for all advice in advance. I really want to take hold of my life and enjoy my young years before I ruin them, my HS years have been rough and I'm hoping that improving myself will be the first step to feeling better about everything!

    submitted by /u/AngryFeminist69420
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Simple Questions Thread - March 31, 2020

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Gorilla bow workouts for muscle gain/retention??

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 06:17 PM PDT

    Due to all the gyms being closed, I've decided to invest in a gorilla bow.

    If anyone has any good plans they've used in the past that they would like to share, it would be much appreciated

    EDIT- to anyone suggesting adjustable dumbbells, look them up. You can't find them for cheaper than $400-$500 for heavy weights. Maybe they were cheaper before the virus, Idk a I know is they aren't now

    submitted by /u/ncrees
    [link] [comments]

    Is it a good idea to do less reps with too heavy weights if I don't have access to lighter weights?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 02:08 PM PDT

    So Im 17M and obese. When I was 15 I lost 12KG and reached barely normal weight by just walking and eating less but I gained it all back. Now instead of just doing cardio I decided to start lifting.

    At my home we have this ball with a mug-like handle pointed upwards. I don't know if it's a dumbbell since English isn't my first language. Anyway I have basically 0 muscles and it weighs 6KG.

    I started yesterday by lifting it 12 times with both arms and did some squats after that. I did that 3 times so 36 times total both arms + the squats which I didn't really count.

    When I went to sleep I felt normal but I woke up at 4 and my left arm hurt like hell. This whole day I haven't been able to extend it fully straight without it hurting really bad. When I rest my arms it automatically points forward by a pretty big amoun because it won't go straight.

    Anyway I know it's normal and I'm not worried about lasting damage but I was wondering if I should ditch lifting entirely untill I can leave the house and by better weights. The other alternative is using the same weights but only doing 8 or so reps instead of 12. I don't know if that's effective because so that's what I'm asking.

    Bonus question is it worth it if I can't get much protein in my diet? I'm basically just eating what my mom makes every day and some days I eat absolutely no protein as far as I am aware. I don't know if my mom would appreciate sponsoring me with protein powder and I don't really fancy buying it myself being a teenager and all

    Edit: going to sleep so will not reply to comments for about 7 hours

    submitted by /u/Unicorncorn21
    [link] [comments]

    Supination of the short head bicep

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 02:48 PM PDT

    I am satisfied with how my arms look when I flex with the outside of them facing forward but when I flex with the inside of my arms facing forward 💪 my right short head bicep is a little bigger than my left one. To increase the size of my short head I've been doing preacher curls and concentration curls

    but if I wanted to do the kind of supinated curl where you grip one side of the weight, which side would I grip (so that the long end of the weight is close to me or pointed away from me) to focus on the short head? I'm guessing the longer heavier side should be on the inside, but I just wanted to make sure.

    submitted by /u/jackstaman78
    [link] [comments]

    Which is the best arm form for farmer's walks, overhand or underhand?

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 03:42 PM PDT

    Like many people, I'm trying to find gym substitutes. One way I have cooped is that I found some car straps and cinder blocks. I have been using them for farmer's walks.

    The problem is this setup makes it so I can't do them the traditional way with my palms facing my body. Instead I have to hold them either underhanded or over handed (kind of like doing bar deadlifts). I have been walking them up and down my hilled sidewalk. I've been doing underhand up the hill and overhand down the hill.

    Which arm direction would be better? Would the direction I'm walking on the hill decided the best arm direction?

    submitted by /u/KingOfCook
    [link] [comments]

    Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 12:32 AM PDT

    Get your dunce hats out, Fittit, it's time for your weekly Stupid Questions Thread.

    Post your question - stupid or otherwise - here to get an answer. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer. Many questions get submitted late each week that don't get a lot of action, so if your question didn't get answered before, feel free to post it again.

    As always, be sure to read the FAQ first.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness".

    Be sure to check back often as questions get posted throughout the day. Lastly, it may be a good idea to sort comments by "new" to be sure the newer questions get some love as well. Click here to sort by new in this thread only.

    So, what's rattling around in your brain this week, Fittit?


    As per this thread, the community has asked that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Moronic Monday thread. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.

    submitted by /u/cdingo
    [link] [comments]

    Indian clubs and their effectiveness

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 07:54 PM PDT

    Obviously anything that's heavy or goes against your body's movement paths can create strength, but I'm more interested in the the shoulder health aspects from club swinging.

    Anybody have any experience with them, either for or against?

    submitted by /u/llomas01
    [link] [comments]

    Victory Sunday

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Victory Sunday Thread

    It is Sunday, 6:00 am here in the eastern half of Hyder, Alaska. It's time to ask yourself: What was the one, best thing you did on behalf of your fitness this week? What was your Fitness Victory?

    We want to hear about it!

    So let's hear your fitness Victory this week! Don't forget to upvote your favorite Victories!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    How much fitness/cardio/lifting can I realistically do in one day?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 11:02 AM PDT

    So, as most of us are, I'm trapped in my house. Luckily, I started building a home gym a while ago and have a bar/plates/rack/dumbbells/bench to work with as well as running around my neighborhood (nice 1 mile loop).

    The nature of my work has me staying at home getting paid, but I can't do much teleworking. I'm going to be at home probably for like a month, so my question is, are there any routines I can do that would literally take up multiple hours everyday? I'm gonna split my time between learning a language and working out, any suggestions? I don't want to overdo it, but I feel like I can do more than I'm currently doing (which is run in the morning and lift at night).

    submitted by /u/ohconnor7122
    [link] [comments]

    Upcycling an entire home gym in a couple days.

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 04:39 AM PDT

    So we've seen so many videos lately of how to hold your cat and do a plank. A friend I decided to make a video on how to just build an entire home gym in a couple days, with everyday materials.

    The metal rack is scrap from powerline towers.

    The 2x4s and screws are from old election signs.

    The yoga mat and plywood were purchased in their own. So that was 25 dollars.

    The rest was just stuff I had lying around - we decided to just use the timeless method of Montage to save some time to show building and testing.

    I'm working on a rack that'll be steadied by a 2" towing receiver so I can go full homeless and still be able to workout.

    submitted by /u/1morepl8
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Simple Questions Thread - March 29, 2020

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment