• Breaking News

    Monday, April 13, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Can having a strong back increase my bench press?

    Beginner Fitness: Can having a strong back increase my bench press?


    Can having a strong back increase my bench press?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 10:30 AM PDT

    I started doing pull ups in between games of a game I play. I usually play 6 games a day. (Modern warfare if you're wondering).

    I just finished my second week. I started with being able to do 4-5 pull-ups, and now I can do 10-12 depending on my speed.

    I'm surprised I was able to double, or triple my pull ups in just 2 weeks!

    Today while benching, I usually do my last set with 225lbs for 4-5 reps which is my max. Today I did it for 8 reps!! And I felt like I could do more. What happened?

    The only thing I can think of is my new routine of daily pull ups. Do you think doing pull ups made my bench go up?

    submitted by /u/Rumblet4
    [link] [comments]

    Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 12:44 AM PDT

    Get your dunce hats out, Fittit, it's time for your weekly Stupid Questions Thread.

    Post your question - stupid or otherwise - here to get an answer. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer. Many questions get submitted late each week that don't get a lot of action, so if your question didn't get answered before, feel free to post it again.

    As always, be sure to read the FAQ first.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness".

    Be sure to check back often as questions get posted throughout the day. Lastly, it may be a good idea to sort comments by "new" to be sure the newer questions get some love as well. Click here to sort by new in this thread only.

    So, what's rattling around in your brain this week, Fittit?


    As per this thread, the community has asked that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Moronic Monday thread. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.

    submitted by /u/cdingo
    [link] [comments]

    Owners of a 6-post squat rack, why did you spring for the extra posts?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 11:06 AM PDT

    I'm on the fence right now about which kind of rack to buy. I have space right now for either, but at a difference of $650 for 2 more posts, I'm reassessing why I am drawn to 6 posts.

    So far, I've come up with

    1. They're "more stable", which is physically true, but practically does it matter?
    2. They are familiar. I use them all the time at the gym, I see them on YT, etc...

    Have any of you faced this question?

    submitted by /u/Spirarel
    [link] [comments]

    Rest/sets

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 03:16 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I am trying to build size and work on HYPERTROPHY and had a question; I have just started adding rest times between my sets, although, with only 60 seconds rest I can no longer complete my sets, for example my usual 10x3 set has became more like 10x1, 8x1, 6x1 with only 60 seconds rest.

    My question is, which option is better for HYPERTROPHY;

    3x10 with enough rest between to complete the sets

    Or

    As many as I can do with the same weight x3 with only 60 seconds rest between.

    Or Alternatively whether you think a longer rest period is optimal.

    Hope this make sense,

    submitted by /u/94Hawk
    [link] [comments]

    have i gained muscle or should i start restricting calories?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 02:32 AM PDT

    hi i'm 5'3 female, i'm a healthy weight but not very muscular so i've been working out about 5 days a week for about 20 - 40 minutes a day, trying to tone up/gain some muscle mass. i've only been doing this for about 2 weeks but i've gained 3 - 4lbs... i've heard that women can't build muscle that fast so why could this be? could i be eating too much?

    thanks everyone, this is baffling me as i really don't wanna keep gaining weight/fat again as i've only just lost about 3 stone a few years ago.

    also! if i keep working out to tone up, will i eventually get a more muscular physique or do i need to lose more weight in order to see my muscles more?

    submitted by /u/omgitsajen
    [link] [comments]

    Question about GVT

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 02:18 AM PDT

    I was introduced to GVT the other day and am considering trying it out for a few months after the lockdown.

    I was wondering if the weight is static (can I lower the weight a few sets in if it's getting difficult) or if the point of GVT is just to get the reps out?

    Also how light is the weight typically?

    I can nearly bench 100kg (97.5kg just before my gym closed), percentage wise how low should I go on exercises? Should I go to 60kg or lower?

    submitted by /u/Darcyoss
    [link] [comments]

    A novel exercise to isolate the upper trapezius

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 03:58 AM PDT

    Fitness enthousiasts of /r/Fitness, (TL;DR at the bottom):

    Over the years, I have had issues with my body, as most of us will eventually hit a wall due to an injury of some kind. One issue was with an overactive levator scapula, and an underactive and weak upper trapezius. Having tried the different exercises for training the upper trapezius, I have found most of them to have issues that were hard to resolve. For example:

    The standard arm-by-your-side shrug with a dumbbell, barbell, kettlebell, etc. We know that the upper trapezius assists with scapular elevation (debatable, but humor me), hence, most will try to target them with this type of shrug. The issues are that the levator scapulae is a more efficient scapular elevator, and depending on the goal, this can be troublesome. EMG studies have also shown that the upper trapezius receives little stimulation with the arm by the sides during a shrugging pattern, which further decreases stimulus to the target musculature.

    The solution that EMG studies push forward, is to shrug with the arm in an abducted position. Why? because this puts the upper trapezius in a more favorable position to elavate the scapula. This is due to the multitude of functions the upper trapezius has, being scapular elevation, but also upward rotation (with the assistance of the lower trapezius and serratus anterior). This is a step in the right direction, but, in the last paragraph I noted to humor me with the "scapular elevation" function of the upper traps. Why? Because I believe the upper trapezius doesn't function like this. Why though? Plenty of bodybuilders have big traps and do shrugs, even by their sides. This is true, but is it causal as well? Bodybuilders usually have more exercises that directly and indirectly stimulate the upper trapezius. Deadlifts, overhead pressing, etc. all stimulate them, and in different ways. The deadlift puts them at an extreme weighted stretch, which has been shown to be an independent stimulator of muscle hypertrophy. The overhead press moves the scapula from a neutral position, to a upwardly rotated position, which targets the upper trapezius as well.

    Now, what other options do we have that directly target the upper trapezius, while minimizing levator scapula activation? We could perform shrugs with a barbell in the front rack position, but we hit a wall once more: shrugging isn't the function of the upper trapezius.

    So, what does the upper trapezius do then? We can look at the fiber orientation and attachments it has. Specifically we'll look into the function at the shoulder complex and the clavicle. The upper trapezius has a great line of pull to rotate the clavicle posteriorly. This function happens when we also upwardly rotate the scapula. This is a big issue why front rack shrugs suck for upper trap stimulation. We put the scapulae into an upwardly rotated position, which is good, but we don't have the posterior rotation of the clavicle, and to top it off we shrug, which wasn't a great way to activate the trapezius regardless of abduction height.

    So, after tinkering, I came up with an exercise that effectively targets the upper trapezius, but putting the scapula into an upwardly rotated position and performing posterior rotation of the clavicle.

    You start out by:

    1. Grabbing a weight and standing with it.
    2. Bend over slightly, between 15-45° is adequate.
    3. Bend the elbow to a 90° angle.
    4. Externally rotate the shoulder (degree of rotation can be experimented with)

    This is the starting position of the exercise.

    The movement that follows resembles moving from this position, to going behind your head to scratch your neck. Alternatively, it resembles pulling out a sword from behind your back.

    This can be difficult at first, because the right muscle activation has to occur for it to work. The cue and feeling I have, is that I spread the scapula in the starting position, so that my arm "rests" on my lat in a slightly upwardly rotated position. Moving from there to what I described above will move the scapula into higher degrees of upward rotation (good) BUT also rotate the clavicle posterior. Done right this movements pumps up the upper trapezius like no other.

    A variation on this can be done with holding the dumbbell between the elbow crease instead of the hand, especially when mobility is restricted, this modification can help.

    Let me know if you tried it!

    TL;DR: a novel way of isolating the upper trapezius by performing lesser known functions of it, lessening levator activation and putting more stress on the upper trapezius. Exercise description can be found in the second half of the post.

    submitted by /u/Siske1995
    [link] [comments]

    Getting the best of light weight

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 09:38 PM PDT

    I'm stuck with two 20lb dumbbells at home. I'm age 17 and weigh 120 lbs. I heard you don't have to lift heavy, as long as I'm reaching failure with light weight. But how many sets of failure should I be doing?

    submitted by /u/PexX_
    [link] [comments]

    I completed T25 gamma, What to do next?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 07:42 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I have completed the T25 workout till gamma and wondering where to go from here. My fitness goals are to lose the belly fat and gain some muscle and become lean. Should I continue doing the T25 gamma our switch to either P90X3 or insanity max 30?

    also, AFAIK, P90X3 has some resistance training using dumbells while instanity max 30 focuses more on cardio, is this true?

    submitted by /u/rotronic
    [link] [comments]

    Pain in toes after jumproping barefoot outside

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 11:22 PM PDT

    My feet hurt from jumping rope in my backyard today on concrete. My toes are slightly red also. The jumprop cased pain wherever it struck after missing a jump. Could doing this cause permanent damage, or is this pain mostly from adjustment?

    submitted by /u/awokepsl
    [link] [comments]

    Does anybody else have a structurally longer right arm and right leg?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 07:23 PM PDT

    I have been struggling with this issue for years now and I was wondering if anybody else on this sub is experiencing the same thing.

    My right arm is about an inch longer than my left and my right leg is 3/4" longer my right. I have been doing a combination of weight training and calisthenics and I have just been feeling a bit uncomfortable from time to time.

    Anybody here got any advice? It would be much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/mcsalts99
    [link] [comments]

    Cable Bar Press or Basic Bench Press?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 06:28 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, So I've been wondering, if I bring a flat bench to a Cable machine (a functional trainer like the Precor S3.23), and hook in a flat press bar, will it be just as good as an actual Bench Press?

    From what I can tell, most (or all) Functional Trainers have like a "2:1 weight ratio" (so if you hook up 100 lbs, it'll take 50lb of force to lift), does this matter?

    I ask because I have room for only one thing in my condo, so it's either going to be an actual bench press, or a Functional Trainer.

    Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/derpmcturd
    [link] [comments]

    What to do about dominant traps

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 06:27 PM PDT

    Hey. I'm wondering how to 'deactivate' my traps while doing back workouts? Specifically seated rows or reverse pec dec? I try mind muscle connection but I find my traps always take over. I really have to think and focus and repeat 'shoulders down and back ' at the start of every rep. I'm wondering if there's a better way so I don't have to concentrate so hard every single rep.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/datchi-k20
    [link] [comments]

    HIIT and regular cardio on separate days?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 05:27 PM PDT

    I understand you shouldn't do HIIT on the same day as regular cardio, but if I do a HIIT session, how long should I wait before I can do a normal cardio session? If I were to go back and forth between the two, what would a good workout schedule look like? What would such a schedule look like it I wanted to go yoga or weight lifting?

    I like variety. I really don't want to go the same thing over and over again.

    submitted by /u/FemaleEvilScientist
    [link] [comments]

    Workout Suggestions

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 12:09 AM PDT

    Hey all, I wasn't quite sure where to post this but this community seemed to be the most fitting. I am looking to get back into working out during this quarantine but didn't quite know where to start. I have a rack very similar to this one and was wondering if any of you had suggestions for routines or exercises and the amounts of sets I should do or something along those lines if you catch my drift. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/TheRealScrappyD
    [link] [comments]

    HIIT and the CNS

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 04:15 PM PDT

    So I have been doing the 'Insanity' workout series with Shaun T since quarantine started and am about to wrap up with the first month. My diet has not changed much (still eating 2K calories and hitting 1g/lb body weight of protein) and I have noticed that I have lost about 4 pounds in this month. I have also noticed that I have been extremely tired this last week. I went from rarely drinking any caffeine to requiring at least 1-2 cups of coffee to make it through the day. I have also noticed fatigue when climbing up the stairs. I also noticed that I have been sleeping an extra 30-60 minutes every night.

    My question: When people state "HIIT is very taxing on the CNS", is what I have described about a byproduct of a 'taxed' CNS? Or is this just secondary to me 'cutting' (burning more calories than I'm eating)? What else should I expect?

    By no means do I intend to give up on insanity. Just wanted some clarification! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/bubblesncash
    [link] [comments]

    Brad Schoenfeld - M.A.X Muscle Plan routine query

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 05:08 AM PDT

    Hi Folks, I'm currently following Brad Schoenfelds M.A.X muscle plan. From reading the book I cannot see anything regarding what you should follow post completion of all phases (strength, metabolic, muscle). From people who have followed the routine do ye just repeat it again from the strength phase?

    submitted by /u/johnnyforthewin
    [link] [comments]

    How to find your working weights after all this is over?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 04:10 PM PDT

    My gym opening back up again feels like being months and months away, but I do wonder about how I should approach going back to regular lifts again for the first time when this magical moment ever happens? I wouldn't have a clue how much my lifts have dropped since the last time I lifted. Right now I'm mostly doing home excercises, which are primarily bodyweight ones, with just a very small calorie surplus (100-200).

    Should I just guess a weight and keep going up till it feels as it's supposed to?

    submitted by /u/StarKanon
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions for foam roller?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 09:35 AM PDT

    Since the gym is closed I'm buying a bunch of home equipment. Can someone give advice on the various types of foam rollers? High vs medium density, ribbed vs smooth? Right now I'm recovering from a pulled hamstring. I sometimes have recurring shoulder pain / impingement. Seems the ribbed options would provide a deeper release? I really don't know tho.

    submitted by /u/backpackingvideos
    [link] [comments]

    Building routine around specific goals in relation to each other?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 01:15 PM PDT

    Hello! So I've never been super into fitness because I never really knew where to start. I'm 20F, 5"6 and ~160-170lbs. As could be inferred, I'm not in horrible shape but it's by no means good. Recently my boyfriend and I had a talk about my physique, and the things I could improve based on his preferences. The difficult thing though is my genetics... I'm not really built for what he's looking for. He's into the Instagram model type (who isn't lol) but I'm, well, I'm built a bit like a frog. I know I'll never actually get there but I do want to get as close as I can so I leave as little to be desired as possible.

    He's looking for bigger, perkier breasts and said those could be achieved by pushups, and about 20lbs gone from the stomach area which could be done with bicycle kicks, planks, and mountain climbers, and a more toned butt which could be done with squats (all with dietary change and regular walking/jogging obviously).

    The thing is, I'm not sure how to cherry pick working on my body like that. I can find the individual answers on google but I'm not sure about using them in conjunction with each other. I feel like if I start to lose weight in my stomach my breasts will get smaller, which he doesn't like, or if I do too many exercises with squats my butt will get too firm which he doesn't like either (he's looking for big/soft).

    This is the plan he gave me to do 1-4 times a day, but I'm not sure how well he knows female workout routines compared to men's.. will this routine in conjunction with a healthy diet and daily hikes with weights and all that be a good start to getting me in the right direction? Like I said I don't expect to ever look like them as their bodies are basically their full-time jobs, but with the goals I have (stomach fat loss, perkier breasts/pecs, bigger butt, etc.) will any of these get in the way of each other?

    50 Squats

    50 Mountain Climbers

    50 Bicycle Kicks on Back

    3 sets of 45 second planks

    25-50 Push-ups

    submitted by /u/DeviantDahlia
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment