• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 10, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Routine Campfire - 5/3/1 (General)

    Beginner Fitness: Routine Campfire - 5/3/1 (General)


    Routine Campfire - 5/3/1 (General)

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 10:53 AM PDT

    Welcome to the next r/Fitness Campfire series - Routine Campfires! You can read the original announcement thread along with the future schedule here.


    This week's topic: 5/3/1 (General)

    Ask questions you have about this routine in this thread, and the community will help you get an answer.


    Here are the rules for Routine Campfires:

    • Routine Campfires are for asking specific questions about a specific routine and getting answers from the community.
    • Top level comments must be a specific question about the topic routine. Questions which are excessively vague to a point of being difficult to answer directly will not be permitted. Comments should not be used for general chit-chat, just for asking and answering questions.
    • Routine Campfires are not for routine critique requests of any kind. This includes but is not limited to: tweaks, lift replacements, accessory choices. All such questions should be directed to the Daily Thread exactly as any normal routine critique would be.
    • Replies to questions should be either an answer to the question, or asking the poster for information necessary to better answer the question.
    • Comments which in any way support or encourage piracy of a routine or its material will be removed and posters who make them banned permanently.
    • Comments should be civil and serious. Jokes, memes, and rudeness will not be permitted.
    • If the answer to a question can be found in an existing page about the routine, please be sure to include a link to the page.
    • Please check the thread to see if your question has been asked prior to posting.

    Comments which break these rules will be removed and posters given bans at the discretion of the moderators. Remember when you participate that the purpose of these threads is to develop community resources for those who come to r/Fitness for help in the future.

    submitted by /u/purplespengler
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Simple Questions Thread - March 10, 2020

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Diet/exercise

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 03:15 PM PDT

    I'm a 75 yr old male in generally good health. I've been on a low carb diet with a calorie limit of 1361/day. I exercise four days a week using a treadmill and several muscle building machines. I burn on average 525 calories per session on the treadmill. This, according to my diet plan calculator (MyFitnessPal) gives me 1886 calories per day.

    I've been dieting for nearly a year and was losing weight at a fair clip until mid-January. Since then I've bounced around between 182 and 185. My goal is 160 to 170. I'm frustrated over the lack of progress. I know all about diet plateaus and so forth, but this has been going on for two months now.

    I've tightened up my diet and been brutally honest with my diet diary but none of that has helped. I have one last area to look into and that's why I've come here.

    I have read that if you eat too few calories your body will begin to preserve fat and burn protein. I usually get within 10% of my 1361 calories and try hard to stay on the lower side and am generally successful doing so. Because of the exercise calories I seldom meet my protein goals, missing them anywhere from 20 - 40 grams, my carbs are generally below 20 with the occasional foray into 25 gramland, my fiber is always over 30 gms, and I virtually never make my fat gms. But, my question is which total calorie target should I be shooting at, the 1361 or the 1886 or something in between?

    Help!

    submitted by /u/fgsgeneg
    [link] [comments]

    Do body types make it impossible for some people to look a specific Way even when in great Shape?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 03:47 PM PDT

    I always see pictures of people who, without a doubt, no argument, are in great shape. Their muscles are large, they have little body fat, etc. But a lot of the time there is still just something off about how they look. Comparing them to the physiques of many famous fitness pros and ripped celebrities who all arguably have a very similar look, there's just something missing.

    Is this simply because some bodies physically can not reach a certain point? In the way you can't make yourself taller, or your bones any different. Or is it because these people just aren't training in the same way or have the same access to fitness professionals and diet plans etc..?

    submitted by /u/PM_YOUR_SIDEBOOB
    [link] [comments]

    Maintaining progress while gyms are closed?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 05:04 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    I live in Italy. The entire country is shutting down and gyms are all closed. I suspect this will be the case for several months. For the first time in my life, I have started seeing progress at the gym by working hard on a very simple 2 day a week intense strength split. I can't do more due to time with University.

    How can I maintain this progress and at the very least halt any losses? Will working out at home doing an exercise or two per muscle group do the trick?

    submitted by /u/VidimusWolf
    [link] [comments]

    Motor coordination improvement

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 01:51 AM PDT

    Hello all!

    I am a former no play bookworm who is on his journey to add meat to his skinny frame and become strong and athletic.

    I am going in the gym for the improvement, however there is one area where I feel severely lacking. Not much sports in life resulted in terrible motor coordination. So I struggle with catching or tossing a coin etc. This an area where I am not improving. Apart from playing sports, any other method do y'all recommend to solve this issue?

    submitted by /u/guycalledpari
    [link] [comments]

    Need help between choosing one of 2 routines.

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 05:40 AM PDT

    Hello, I am looking to do one of 2 routines, either 5/3/1 PPL or the one at the bottom of this page https://weightology.net/the-members-area/evidence-based-guides/set-volume-for-muscle-size-the-ultimate-evidence-based-bible/#summary

    If it's any help, right now I'm trying to bulk, gain some weight and mass.

    submitted by /u/davesalias
    [link] [comments]

    Breakfast for nervous eater

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 01:49 AM PDT

    I have a really nervous stomach in the morning which makes me (almost) throw up most mornings from just one slice of bread with ham.

    I am meal prepping my dinner, which works alot for my weight gain, but the breakfast is where I "miss" most of the calories (should be at least 500 kcal) to reach my goal.

    What are you guys eating for breakfast, especially the nervous eaters amongst you?

    Any advice is appreciated :)

    EDIT: I should add that I also can't eat much at once, which is why have 5 meals a day, including a big dinner

    submitted by /u/Hemutsneck
    [link] [comments]

    I do so many sit ups on the decline bench that I’ve bruised my tail bone. Can anyone recommend an ab workout that works?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 04:48 AM PDT

    I have really strong abs and normal crunches don't do anything for me. The decline bench with a weight used to work but now my tail bone is so sore I can't put any pressure on it. Need some new exercises. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/imcleanasawhistle
    [link] [comments]

    Question about where my caloric intake should be

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 04:21 AM PDT

    I have been working on cutting over the last month while building back up some detrained muscle. I had been eating like garbage and finally decided to clean up my diet and train for another half-marathon.

    I'm 6 ft, and weighed 200 pounds about six weeks ago (not sure on body fat % but I would estimate 23-25?), and this morning I weighed in at 191.2 with 19% body fat.

    My caloric intake has been about 1700 calories per day with 190-200g of protein per day as well (meals aren't that hard, surprisingly? I love cooking!), but I'm wondering if I should up it to preserve/build muscle? I'm not starving myself but I had come up with these calories when I first started training and now that I'm back up to 6x week long steady state cardio plus lifting, I feel like I should be eating more. My current TDEE is looking like 3200 or so, which puts me at a -1500 caloric deficit. Should I bump my calories up in this situation?

    Thanks for your help!

    submitted by /u/systematik
    [link] [comments]

    Whats a good 3 day full body program coming off a 6 day PPL program?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 09:14 PM PDT

    A big issue with me not staying motivated at the moment is how much time I spend at the gym doing PPL. 6 days is a lot and I'd like to move to a 3 day program. Is there any program that can hit similar muscle groups to PPL that goes over 3 days rather than 6 (I'm fine with each session lasting longer on those days). I was considering 3 day PPL but to my understanding it's not very effective for muscle gain/maintenance compared to a full body program, but I really enjoy PPL, the frequency just makes it difficult to do due to time restraints I have. As an extra note, I am currently on a cut, I'm just doing PPL to try my best keep the muscle that I have while cutting.

    submitted by /u/Skunkzz96
    [link] [comments]

    Are push workouts enough to train front delts?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 02:53 AM PDT

    Recently upped the load on my shoulder workout and as a consequence i have not been as strong on my push days due to soreness. My question is, could i cut targeted training of my front delts out of my training completely and instead only work them along with my chest exercises on my push day? Doing 5 different chest exercises of each 4 sets on my push day currently if that helps.

    submitted by /u/Ziplax243
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need to incorporate an overhead tricep exercises to optimize tricep growth??

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 09:26 PM PDT

    I've been training for 2 years and haven't needed any overhead tricep exercises. It's my most developed muscle but a lot of bodybuilding geniuses believe you need at least one overhead tricep exercise.

    The problem is I have trouble activating my triceps when trying any skull crusher or overhead extension

    submitted by /u/DanIzQt
    [link] [comments]

    Can I get your experiences with Arnold's Program, variation #2?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 12:42 AM PDT

    Is this a realistic program? Retired Veteran with lots of time. Keto and a multivitamin. I want to look like a Greek God. Any criticism is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/164Pages
    [link] [comments]

    How possible is a 315lbs bench within 1,5 years

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 12:13 AM PDT

    Hey i am at 245-255lbs bench atm, my bodyweight is 170lbs. I want to hit the bench before i turn 18. I am 16 rn. Do you think it's possible?

    submitted by /u/lll_dlcky
    [link] [comments]

    Squats: Wide, shoulder width, or narrow?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 07:55 AM PDT

    I'm interested in getting thoughts about the benefits of wide, shoulder width, or narrow stance for squats. I do understand that many powerlifters choose a wider stance for greater glute activation and the ability to push more weight. Shoulder width is standard.

    However, I've recently adopted a narrow stance - mainly because it feels better on my knees. Also, I feel less lateral stress on my ankle than if I adopted a wider stance. Narrow means that my feet are 8-10 inches apart. Since I'm training for the first time in 18 months, I've deloaded significantly.

    My goals are to improve strength and athletic conditioning. Building some mass in my legs would be nice. I'm 40 years old this year. Noncompetitive. Just want to remain mobile and recover some athleticism.

    I have really good ankle flexibility. It surprised my orthopedic and PT prior to surgery. I can squat low in any position without compromise to the lumbar.

    So I have basically two questions:

    1. Can anyone provide a more in depth explanation of the pros and cons of each stance, assuming that one can perform any of them with proper form?
    2. How low is too low? I can basically go into an Asian squat, basically sitting at the bottom, rest if I want, and lifting dead weight. Should I instead pause right above that position?

    I'm leaning towards this routine for the short term (6 months or so) building back strength:

    • Warm-up: Bar-only x 10 reps, then 95 lbs x 10 reps
    • Rebuild strength: 5x5 (currently squatting 195 lbs) w/ narrow stance. Increase weight as I get stronger.
    • Finish: 135 lbs to failure (currently 12 reps) w/ shoulder width stance
    submitted by /u/raggedsweater
    [link] [comments]

    Breakfast

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 11:33 PM PDT

    Not sure if there's a sticky but,

    does anyone know a good breakfast for building lean muscle? I have boiled eggs and oats with yogurt

    Should I be fitting veggies in somewhere ? Or more variety?

    Would love any advice or your breakfasts of choice.

    P.s Dinner and lunch for me are salmon or chicken with broccoli and a scoop of rice.

    Not sure if that really adds anything

    submitted by /u/Davidj74
    [link] [comments]

    changing hobby from lifting to martial arts. can i keep my aesthetics?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 03:16 AM PDT

    i'm a regular lifter who went from lanky to "huh, this guy has some muscles i guess". I'm 6'2 and at my biggest I was 90kg, and am right now probably around 83kg since i've been out of the gym doing only light callisthenics and eating less for 3 months (long story, i'm between house moves)

    I think I'd be pretty happy if I was as lean as I am now, but at 85kg+.

    this year I'm moving away from lifting and taking up a combat sport, most likely Muay Thai. I am going to go to classes 3 times a week and train up my cardio etc a few days a week on my own. I could continue to go to a gym and lift maybe twice a week in place of some of the cardio, but it's extra expense that i don't really want

    If I want to keep as much of my glamour muscles as possible, what's the best way to go about it? I'm sure there'll be quite a lot of callisthenics going on in the coming year, and I can supplement with pullups and resistance band stuff, but I'm not sure how I'd approach diet? eg would i go only just slightly above maintenence?

    I'm used to eating quite a lot since I tended towards powerlifting style in the last couple of years, so I kinda wanna go back to shoveling food down but obviously there's not much point getting fatter if i'm doing a combat sport

    submitted by /u/RossFromBritain
    [link] [comments]

    Pre-workout advice

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 01:17 AM PDT

    It's been 6 months since I've had pre, or any real supplement besides amino's. Reason I stopped taking pre is because I was taking it once/twice a week for damn near 3ish years. I eventually did a 30 day squat program that pushed my squat through the roof (405lb squat) but i could feel the stuff wear on my body. I was taking esp pre once a week for a month back in august, which is like fucking extreme cause esp is insane, but it did me no justice in the end other than make me think I was gonna have some horrid health problem. Now that i'm 6 months sober, should I start taking it again? I've got total war in my cabinet just calling my name, and I just switched to a new shift. I know total war isn't all that bad, but I'm just a little weary.

    submitted by /u/INSANEOne15
    [link] [comments]

    Is it wrong/dangerous to exercise off the same amount of calories you ate in a day?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 08:50 PM PDT

    It's not intentional. I estimate my amount of calories each day, and today I happened to only eat about 700 (I usually eat 1200+ but I genuinely didn't feel the need to eat anymore today). I worked out on the treadmill for 2 hours at 3mph (Ran 6 miles total) and estimated based off of an online calculator that I coincidentally burned 700 calories. Is this dangerous or detrimental to my weight loss in any way?

    submitted by /u/Pistachiyox
    [link] [comments]

    Hey r/fitness! Any advice?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 10:43 PM PDT

    Heya! Quick question! I have a 10 km hike this Friday, which isn't too long but it's going to be quite a steep climb! I have a good BMI of 20.3 and I have a decent diet, but I'm not very fit. I obviously don't have a long time to get to my desired fitness, so do you think there's anything I can do to help myself better cope with the hike? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Kool_lampshades
    [link] [comments]

    Used to be pretty big with low fat, had to take 6 mounts off, how to get to wear I was.

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 09:13 PM PDT

    Classic situation, just trying to regain my muscle and lose this fat. How can I do that simultaneously. What should my diet look like.

    submitted by /u/-THEsponge-
    [link] [comments]

    Lifting is getting real hard...

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 04:39 PM PDT

    Hello friends. I've been on a basic SL 5x5 program for about four weeks now, 3 days a week. I have a squat of 195lbs, a bench of 135lbs, a 90lb OHP and a 175lb DL.

    Every workout gets harder and harder to maintain, and longer, too, because I'm so worn out. I feel like I could really use a trainer to help me on proper form.

    For instance, I can't break parallel on the squat, weight on or no. I think it's a flexibility issue, but I'm not sure how to work on it.

    Another problem is my deadlift. It's really heavy. The SL 5x5 phone app I use only requires a 1x5 DL, but at 175lbs, my form just crumbles. What muscles am I supposed to use to lift the bar in DL? Because usually my back arches no matter how hard I try to straighten it, and I feel bad because that's not good for the spine.

    I want to improve, but without any peer support or professional training, I'm kind of lost when I encounter issues like these.

    submitted by /u/Vintage_Cola
    [link] [comments]

    Is HIIT going to be my best bet? 30 days to get fit!

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 06:19 PM PDT

    I want to get into shape.
    I've roughly 1 month before my fitness test.

    It's a combination of running (pacer) and bodyweight - push ups, sit ups etc.
    There's also some other aspects that pull from both aspects.

    I want to really go all out over these 30 days to improve.

    Will something like HIIT cardio work best?
    Hill Sprints?
    Tabata?

    How intense can I go?
    I see a lot online saying HIIT is only suppose to be done 2 days a week, but I can't see that getting me to where I need to be in this short space of time.

    Maybe it's not possible, but if there's anything I can do I'll give it 100%.

    What's the most intense workout I can do for 30 days to improve my cardio and overall conditioning?

    submitted by /u/seanf999
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment