• Breaking News

    Thursday, March 19, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - March 19, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - March 19, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - March 19, 2020

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    And advice for somebody trying to hit their macros without going insane?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 12:33 PM PDT

    In my younger days I became obsessive with counting calories, weighing food, getting all of my protein, etc. It got to the point that if I didn't get enough protein or missed a meal I'd feel really guilty. As a matter of fact, if I didn't "hit my macros" I felt a bunch of regret and was convinced all my time in the gym was a waste of time.

    Those days are long gone but very recently I got serious into nutrition again and fitness again and started using MyFitnessPal. I felt like once again nutrition was taking over my life in a negative way so I deleted the app.

    I do intermittent fasting (18/6) but have a lot of days when I know I'm not getting enough calories/protein/carbs (I strength training 3x week and do conditioning 3x week).

    Any advice for somebody who would like to come close to hitting their macros without it turning into an obsessive habit that takes over their life? I was thinking about just trying to get close to my protein requirements and let the rest fall into place while eating "pretty clean"? Thoughts on this? I weigh 200 pounds and would like to get down to 190 so I try to hit 190 grams of protein/ day.

    submitted by /u/trckr55
    [link] [comments]

    Find it easy to hit protein goals, but everything else...

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 03:39 AM PDT

    I'm gaining / bulking.

    Protein is fine. 40g of almonds in my morning porridge. Chicken for dinner or lunch. Protein shake with 60g+ of peanut butter. Easy.

    But then, when I see I'm still around 700 calories shy of my goal, I notice I'm way below my carb goal. Like sometimes 200g below. Like what do I eat? Even a big bowl of pasta with just cheese and oil is 300-400 calories. Do I just need to snack?

    submitted by /u/fatherly_lizard
    [link] [comments]

    Dropping dominant shoulder?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 03:06 AM PDT

    I'm just in the last month or so getting back into getting fit after a few years off because of depression and injury, and have bought a mirror to try and check my form when picking up heavy things. I'm in a small town with no gym or PTs o I'm looking here for a small insight.

    I have noticed now that I can watch myself that when I am doing barbell curls and deadlifts, my right (dominant) shoulder seems to drop down a couple of inches no matter how much I try to keep them even, and there is heaps more engagement in the shoulder muscles on that arm.

    Could this just be because of a strength imbalance between the arms and the right arm trying to take the strain, or simply just me needing to drop weight and focus more on form?

    I know it's hard to give advice without seeing the problem but I cannot upload videos at the moment so any vague ideas I could take away in the meantime until I can see someone in person would be most helpful.

    submitted by /u/Larrakin
    [link] [comments]

    How to combat exhaustion in legs since last Monday

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 03:27 AM PDT

    Hello r/fitness! I come to you regarding advice on how I could get my legs fit again after some stuff that pulled quite a number on them last week, they continuously feel heavy and exhausted

    To preface I did a lot of leg work out last Monday followed by some more exercising after 2-3 hours where my legs couldn't take more and gave in under me (someone was able to keep me up before I hit the floor luckily) the following day we had a running test on 2200m within 12minutes followed by more exercises for the legs so I definitely know where the exhaustion is coming from

    Is this where I just should kick back and take a break or would it be advisable to 'walk it off' ie. Small walks outside or something else entirely?

    Cheers and stay fit and healthy guys!

    submitted by /u/ShieldAndArrows
    [link] [comments]

    Bench press weight and chest size

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 10:33 PM PDT

    I've been told that there is a strong correlation between the amount of weight you can bench press and the size of your pecs. Out of curiosity, I want run a quick poll on how much weight you were consistently benching during your sets when you realized that your chest could be considered "big"? I know height and weight could affect the numbers so please drop those down below as well.

    submitted by /u/Laxagy
    [link] [comments]

    Lifting vs Running's cyclic nature

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 08:25 AM PDT

    In running the year is typically set up where you base build over the late summer with higher mileage but a lower intensity. In the fall you incorporates a slightly lower mileage but a high intensity. The workouts tend to long and not too fast. In the winter you start to incorporate a little more speed and explosive work while keeping up with the longer workouts. In the spring most of the longer workouts are replaced with faster shorter reps. By the time early summer rolls around mileage is very low and workouts are fast and short. The cycle then repeats itself hopefully building on the previous years.

    I understand there is bulking and cutting for weightlifting but is there something similar to the breakdown of seasons for lifting as there is for running? Perhaps replacing regular squats and dead lifts with Olympic lifts or trying to be more explosive on regular lifts?

    submitted by /u/TwistedWorld
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone using SmartGym?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 02:25 AM PDT

    Hi guys,

    Anyone here using SmartGym app?

    Do you know if with the local purchase plan my routines will be synchronized in the app cloud? Or I'll loose them if I restore my iPhone?

    I want an app to set my custom routines from my personal trainer.

    I think /u/abrasmateus is the developer.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/jfim88
    [link] [comments]

    Fuel Pureformance (CAP) Power Rack - Quality?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 10:30 AM PDT

    https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/fuel-pureformance-power-rack/6000196488392
    https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/fuel-pureformance-deluxe-fid-bench/6000196488389

    Gonna buy this set to train until gyms re-open. These are cheap and reviews seem to be good, but unsure if they are real or not. Is this an ok brand? aka won't break after a few weeks. I won't be lifting much heavier than 315lbs.

    submitted by /u/Taiga666
    [link] [comments]

    How to stabilize during calf raises with dumbbells in both hands?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 07:55 AM PDT

    Hi,

    because the gym is closed, I work out at home using my loadable 30lb dumbbells. Calves are super important to me, because I kind of don't have any, so I have 2 sets of 12 every day of my full body program (home or gym). Now though, when I need to hold the dumbbells with both hands to have my desired working weight, I can't stabilize myself. I tried leaning towards a closet and resting my head against it, but rubbing and up down against the wood doesn't feel great on my forehead/hair. Do you guys have any ideas?

    submitted by /u/AutisticDave
    [link] [comments]

    Want to easily carry my girlfriend

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 12:07 AM PDT

    So, I'm gonna start working out now and there's a lot of differences between calisthenics and actually weightlifting. I wanna be able to carry my girlfriend, would calisthenics allow me to do that or is weightlifting a better way to go?

    submitted by /u/VRShit
    [link] [comments]

    Why do nutrition Goals change when I exercise?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 11:05 PM PDT

    Im using MyFitnessPal, trying to get about 1500 calories a day. I just did a HIIT session that burned 240 calories, and now MyFitnessPal is showing my daily goal to be 1740 calories.

    I thought exercise was already calculated as a part of TDEE, so why are my goals changing when I add in exercise calories burned?

    submitted by /u/NovelAries
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment