• Breaking News

    Thursday, March 12, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - March 12, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - March 12, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - March 12, 2020

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Best exercises for a bigger butt?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 10:21 PM PDT

    19 years old male here. I personally think I've made great gains for my upper and lower body since I started training. Except the butt.

    My butt is painfully flat that my girlfriend often makes fun of me, it's quite embarrassing.

    I've started training hip thrusts, gotten weird looks at the gym but haven't seen any results yet.

    Anyone who's got a good butt cared to shared some of your secrets? Thank you.

    Just for a little info, my squat is 275lbs (1rm) deadlift is 320lbs (1rm)

    submitted by /u/vuhoanganh
    [link] [comments]

    Dietician friend says we also need to detox while we work out. What do you think?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 04:14 AM PDT

    Hi, everyone. I've been working out for two months, I lost 15lbs so far and I'm happy about it. Last night, I met with my college friends and a friend (who's a dietician) asked me about my fitness journey. I told her everything, focusing on cardio and reduced my food intake. She told me that I should also detox while I work out. I asked her how, she explained it but it was very technical. Not knowing anything about that "detoxing while working out", I searched stuff about it and came across this video. Now, I'm more confused. What are your thoughts?

    submitted by /u/allanpeter
    [link] [comments]

    From 2 years PHUL to 4 months into 531

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 11:08 PM PDT

    Yow! just wanted to share my gains running 531 for 4 months/6 cycles!

    Before: 205 lbs

    Current weight: 215 lbs

    Sex: Male

    Age: 24

    Height: 6 ft

    routine: 531 FSL + Jokers / BBB

    to start off, im that guy who posted ~ 2 Years PHUL Progress.

    i have photos there where i was very skinny and an after pic like 2 years into PHUL, Here's what i look now. some progress, but not that impressive.

    I started with 531 as per the recommendation of other redditors in this sub in my last post, only thing i regret right now is not starting this program sooner.

    yes I was very weak back then, but i feel much more stronger now. I'm currently in my 3rd week 6th cycle of 531 FSL + Joker sets and boy the numbers came up pretty fast (well for squats and DL lol).

    Here are my 1 RMs in lbs so far:

    • Squat - from 255 to 350
    • DL - from 315 to 415
    • Bench - from 215 to 255
    • OHP - from 150 to 180

    Current accessory exercise routine:

    • Squat - Dips bodyweight 5x10,
    • DL - Front squat 5x10, hip extensions 5x10
    • Bench - Rows 5x10, Lat pull down 5x10, any tricep movement 3x10, any bicep movement 3x10
    • OHP - Incline dumbbell press 5x10, chin ups 5x10, lat extension 5x10, any tricep movement 3x10, any bicep movement 3x10

    Before starting this routine i was very stiff and my back hurts a lot when deadlifting and squatting, my form was bad, i mean it's still bad till now i guess but i am working to correct then each session. I started stretching after each workout and i feel it really helps with my form and posture.

    I take the deload week every two consecutive cycles.

    Im working on improving Bench and OHP more as i've hit a wall for the last 2 cycles with them.

    Diet: nothing much has changed, i just make sure i hit at least 150 to 170 grams of protein a day regardless of the source.

    Supplements that i take:

    • Creatine
    • Whey
    • Pre workout

    Moving forward: Still sticking to this routine and will alternate out BBB and FSL. Also will start benching 4 times a week and will see how it goes. Goal right now is to further increase the weight of the main movements without compromising form.

    ULTIMATE GOAL IS TO FREAKING DO 225LBS x 10 ON BENCH - 415x10 ON DL - 315x10 ON SQUATS!!!

    TLDR: Strength increased but not that impressive and I am thanking everyone who recommended 531 from the bottom of my heart!

    submitted by /u/Yomamasonice
    [link] [comments]

    Good routines for fat loss when gym is suspended

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 02:45 AM PDT

    Hi r/Fitness,

    My gym got suspended and I want to keep training at home. I was trying to lose fat, do you think running and proper nutrition is enough or you guys have some nice routine that can be done at home?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/zetayshow
    [link] [comments]

    Gyms around here will probably close soon. Should I get a bench or just weights?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 04:43 AM PDT

    I never benched without a bench. Can I bench just fine on the ground? I feel like the floor would fuck with my ROM. What would you guys recommend? A bench costs roughly 90 bucks here.

    submitted by /u/outrageously_smart
    [link] [comments]

    New study providing clarity on diet breaks/refeeds when it comes to lean mass retention.

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 10:15 AM PDT

    There are still quite a few people who are scared about the effects of occasional diet blips or regular refeeds as they believe there is a risk of fat regain etc. there are also individuals who down play the role of metabolic adaptation and still preach dieting until you reach your goal weight, sacrificing calories of weight loss stalls.

    the study looks to confirm that diet breaks are better for preserving muscle mass and resting metabolic rate, what do you think?

    https://www.mdpi.com/2411-5142/5/1/19

    Intermittent Energy Restriction Attenuates the Loss of Fat Free Mass in Resistance Trained Individuals. A Randomized Controlled Trial

    There is a lack of research into how lean, resistance trained (RT) individuals respond to intermittent energy restricted diets. Therefore, we investigated body composition changes in RT-individuals during continuous energy restriction or intermittent restriction. A total of 27 males and females (25 ± 6.1 years; 169 ± 9.4 cm; 80 ± 15.6 kg) were randomized to a ~25% caloric restricted diet Refeed (RF; n = 13) or Continuous group (CN; n = 14) in conjunction with 4-days/week resistance training for 7-weeks. RF implemented two consecutive days of elevated carbohydrate (CHO) intake, followed by 5-days of caloric restriction each week. CN adhered to a continuous 7-week caloric restriction. Body mass (BM), fat mass (FM), fat-free mass (FFM), dry fat-free mass (dFFM), and resting metabolic rate (RMR) were assessed pre/post-diet. Both groups significantly reduced BM (RF: baseline = 76.4 ± 15.6 kg, post-diet = 73.2 ± 13.8 kg, Δ3.2 kg; CN: baseline = 83.1 ± 15.4 kg, post-diet = 79.5 ± 15 kg, Δ3.6 kg) and FM (RF: baseline = 16.3 ± 4 kg, post-diet = 13.5 ± 3.6 kg, Δ2.8 kg; CN: baseline = 16.7 ± 4.5 kg, post-diet = 14.4 ± 4.9 kg, Δ2.3 kg) with no differences between groups. FFM (RF: baseline = 60.1 ± 13.8 kg, post-diet = 59.7 ± 13.0 kg, 0.4 kg; CN: baseline = 66.4 ± 15.2 kg, post-diet = 65.1 ± 15.2 kg, Δ1.3 kg p = 0.006), dFFM (RF: baseline = 18.7 ± 5.0 kg, post-diet = 18.5 ± 4.5 kg, Δ0.2 kg; CN: baseline =21.9 ± 5.7 kg, post-diet = 20.0 ± 5.7 kg, Δ1.9 kg), and RMR (RF: baseline = 1703 ± 294, post-diet = 1,665 ± 270, Δ38 kcals; CN: baseline = 1867 ± 342, post-diet = 1789 ± 409, Δ78 kcals) were better maintained in the RF group. A 2-day carbohydrate refeed preserves FFM, dryFFM, and RMR during energy restriction compared to continuous energy restriction in RT-individuals.

    submitted by /u/rainbowroobear
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best training split for boxers?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 08:12 AM PDT

    What training splits do boxers use?I know boxers don't rely on only building muscles,but speed,stamina and endurance too.What exercises do boxers do the most?
    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/stevic1
    [link] [comments]

    Wrist wraps sizing

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 03:57 AM PDT

    Hi guys, 10 weeks ago I broke my wrist (scaphoid). Soon I can start training again. But I want to approach it slowly and safely. So I was going to order wrist wraps to help me recovering, but I don't know yet which size to get. Should I get 18'' or 24''? I know that longer wraps mean more stability and 24'' are mostly used in powerlifting, right?

    (I am not training for Powerlifting, just a usual gym routine)

    submitted by /u/ELeCtRiCiTy_zAp
    [link] [comments]

    How long until body starts losing weight?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 03:24 AM PDT

    So I have been going to the gym for the past 3 months 5-6 days 1:30hr workout a week using the Fitbod app. When will I see weight reduction. I been at a pretty stable weight of 255-258lbs. I have been doing the "Noom" diet with a 1700-1800 calorie intake.

    I have seen changes in my body composition

    Ex- Chest got an inch smaller, Arms got bigger, legs circumference inch smaller but waist stayed the same.

    All in all I love going to the gym now and doing this diet but I am waiting for the excess weight to finally get off.

    submitted by /u/TheeFapitalist
    [link] [comments]

    How come I don't feel anything with workouts anymore?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 03:21 AM PDT

    I used to do tennis so I was very active in doing workouts and stuff. Now two years after I quit I decided to start working out again just by doing a ten minute workout from a youtube video. But for some reason, I don't feel my muscles burning or anything when I do it exactly like the person is, and I don't really feel sore the next day. I don't want to waste my time and energy doing workouts wrong, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

    submitted by /u/nxicxi
    [link] [comments]

    What should my next step moving forward be, as I want to prove friends who are doubting me wrong.

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 11:14 PM PDT

    So to give a little bit of context, I used to be fat (6'5 about 250 pounds), got really skinny (about 180 pounds at my lowest), and up until maybe 1-2 months ago I've been at 195 pounds and going to the gym inconsistently. I think my mindset finally just clicked and I felt the same thing when I first wanted to lose weight, and I've been extremely consistent for the past 1-2 months and I've seen progress.

    Here is what I look like right now, and I feel like I'm teetering in the skinny fat range, and i have wide hips and carry most of my fat on my hips. I've been swaying in the scale but so far I've maintained weight and have gotten objectively stronger. This is my estimated 1rm chart, and it's starting to look more linear which I'm happy about.

    I'm 6'5 196 pounds and so far I've just been eating at maintenance and some days I eat a whole bunch and other days I don't, but I've been hitting my grams of protein in body weight everyday. My current program is 5/3/1 BBB, and for the accessories I usually just do whatever I feel like, for example dumbbell bench, dumbbell shoulder press, lateral raises, pull ups and pull up negatives when I get tired, seated dumbbell bicep curls, barbell curls, and the rowing machine. I usually do sets of 3's in the 7-10 rep range for my accessories and for the main lifts I have the 5/3/1 app and I just do what it tells me. I go 4 days a week and usually do one compound lift 5/3/1 BBB and then accessories and that usually takes 50-65 min, maybe longer if I do rowing.

    My estimated 1rm lifts are: Squat: 239 pounds Bench: 169 OHP: 112 Sumo Deadlift: 227

    Now I'm here to ask what the best course of action would be so that I could maximize my physique. I have two gym friends, and even though I lift more than them on the compounds and what not, they're like "I've seen no progress in your physique," "you've been going for how long and still no progress," and etc etc. It's already done, I'm focused on the goal to get better, and I've made that mindset shift and I'm super confident I'll be going consistently now as I have been for 1-2 months as I said.

    I'm going to outwork the fuck out of them and we're going to see who stays consistent and keeps pushing. We're going to see who actually has the willpower to put in the work. Right now the plan is to eat at maintenance and keep hitting the protein macros, but I'm wondering if I should start eating a little bit more, the only thing is that I'm deathly afraid of getting fat again, like i hate seeing the scale go up and it's a mental thing probably.

    If anybody with more experience could chime in with some advice that'd be great.

    submitted by /u/Onisontahh
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on cutting calories as a teenager?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 01:21 AM PDT

    Hi, i'm a 5'8 17 year old male. I weigh 138 pounds and i'm in pretty good shape. I work out often with calisthenics and martial arts, so i have a strong core and upper body. however i can tell i have a layer of fat that makes my abs not as visible as they could be.

    My question(s) is, what calorie deficit should i go on in order to safely lower my body fat percentage? Will this have any negative side effects like stunting my growth or harming my health?

    submitted by /u/Griffjord
    [link] [comments]

    Shoe for both lifting and running

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 01:06 AM PDT

    Do you guys have any suggestions for shoes that are good both for running/sprinting and heavy lifting? or am I asking for too much.

    submitted by /u/Bogdan____
    [link] [comments]

    I'm losing weight and I'm getting stronger but I'm not making visual gains

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 11:57 PM PDT

    I'm 4 weeks into my workout plan. I'm doing a push/pull/leg split and tracking my progress. I monitor my caloric intake and, on average, burn 500 more calories than I consume each day. So far I've lost 9 pounds and have increased my strength.... But I don't look any different. 9 pounds seems like a lot. I'm a 23 year old male 5'8 and 174 lbs as of this morning. But for the life of me I can't tell where that 9 pounds came from because my waist hasn't slimmed any, my love handles are still there and my chest/arms don't appear any more defined than they did when I started (even though I've gotten stronger over that time).

    I have a few theories. Number one: even though I'm at a caloric deficit, my balance of macros may be off. Carbs make up like 50% of my diet. I've tried adding more protein to my diet, but it's way harder than I thought. I eat 6 egg whites for breakfast every morning and drink a protein shake, eat some chicken for dinner but it still makes up only like 20% of my total calories. I try to keep fats around 20%. If I can replace my carb heavy food with more protein, maybe it'll help muscle growth? Problem is I don't find high protein foods to be satiating. Like after eating 6 egg whites I'll be hungry again in an hour or so. But one bowl of cereal will ride me over until mid day.

    Number 2: I'm not pushing myself hard enough in the gym. Idk I feel like I push myself pretty hard. I work up a great sweat and my muscles are typically sore the next day. But I also can usually always hit the upper end of my rep range (I train using 3/4 sets of x - x reps). So if I'm constantly hitting the higher end, maybe I'm able to lift more weight and I just need to push more? I lift by myself and therefore I'm a little hesitant to just slap two plates on and try to go for 225.

    Number 3: I'm impatient. I just completed week 3 of my 16 week training plan. Maybe the gains are on the way and I just need to suck it up and keep going.

    Number 4: A combination of all the above

    submitted by /u/Shepard_Wrex14
    [link] [comments]

    Women over 50 "Arm flabbiness" after weight losing 15lbs

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 11:28 PM PDT

    So my mother who is 54 has recently finally been trying to workout. She is 5'2 and was 134lbs and looked "fat" but now she is around 115lbs. She wants to lose her "giggly" arm fat? Since she lost weight it is more pronounced. She even showed me the giggliness lol. Is it possible or does she need to lose even more weight/ maybe arm exercises?

    I know that obese people who lose a ton of weight has the stretchy loose skin but she just lost 15+ lbs and wants to tighten her arm up?

    submitted by /u/Dagger332403
    [link] [comments]

    what are some ways you could be getting in excess calories without realizing it?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 10:25 PM PDT

    I've been eating healthier lately and it's been okay. missing junky foods has my mood a little down. so question. what are some ways I might be taking in excess calories? for example, I completely disregarded olive oil when cooking in it and came to the realization I should probably stop using it, and I have. it's basically liquid calories even if there is fat in it. I'm trying to think of other things I might be doing wrong. ideas?

    submitted by /u/marshmallowman_
    [link] [comments]

    My average weight mysteriously dropped for 4kg (9lbs) of weight overnight! How is this even possible?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 02:08 AM PDT

    - I'm using Huawei AH100 smart scale.

    - I measure my weight first thing in the morning (almost daily).

    - My average weight was 82kg (180lbs) for about 3 months. My weight was in the 81kg (178.5lbs) - 83kg (183lbs) range most of the days.

    - Whenever I drink alcohol my weight will be lower next morning (somewhere between 79kg (174lbs) and 80kg (176lbs)). But my weight quickly returns to its average range, usually in 24 hours. I guess it's just water that gets flushed out. I'm also using creatine which probably contribute to this phenomenon.

    Almost 2 weeks ago something really weird happened. I went out clubbing and drank huge amount of alcohol. Next day my weight was 78.5kg (173lbs) which wasn't really surprising to me at that time because I thought it was because of water loss from alcohol. Weird thing is that almost 2 weeks have passed and my weight is still the same, averaging at 78.5kg. I don't notice any difference in my physical appearance. How is this possible? Where did 4kg of weight go?

    TL;DR: My weight was in 81kg - 83kg range almost every day for about 3 months. After night of heavy drinking my weight dropped to 78.5kg and stayed in 77.5kg - 79kg range for almost 2 weeks now! I've experienced water weight loss from alcohol consumption before, but my weight always recovered in 24 hours.

    submitted by /u/mattozlato
    [link] [comments]

    Fish is so underrated

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 03:10 AM PDT

    Literally just ate 2 pollock fillets, rice and some sweet potatoes. The rice and potatoes filled me, but the pollock didn't.

    But that's a good thing because that means I could just eat a lot of the pollock. 1 fillet had 25g of protein. I bought 6 frozen ones for £3.50.

    Just fucking imagine, being able to eat 50g of protein from chicken breast alone and still be able to eat more.

    For reference I'm a 5'4 male and skinny, I can barely eat an entire chicken breast.

    submitted by /u/LifeTopic
    [link] [comments]

    How to get a physique like mgk?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 02:24 AM PDT

    I really wanna be skinny like him. I'm still 14 so i can't fast/stop eating. So any tips on how to be like him?

    submitted by /u/kkc221005
    [link] [comments]

    Is this too much exercise?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 09:09 PM PDT

    So originally I (26male) worked out Mon,Tues,Thurs,Fri no cardio and i wound up looking kinda bodybuilder-ish with no cardio health. Now, I care more about actually being fit so I was thinking of doing calisthenics Mon,Wed,Fri and running about 2 miles Tues and Thurs.

    I'm wondering, I know everyone's body is different but is this potentially too much workout without enough rest time?

    submitted by /u/love4sports
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment