• Breaking News

    Tuesday, May 11, 2021

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 11, 2021

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 11, 2021


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 11, 2021

    Posted: 11 May 2021 02:00 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it. Rule #0 still applies in this thread.

    Also, there's a handy search function to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search r/Fitness by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to check first are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    If you are posting a routine critique request, make sure you follow the guidelines for including enough detail.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk, chit-chat, jokes, memes, "Dear Diary" type comments, shitposting, or non-fitness questions. It is for fitness questions only, and only those that are serious.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Birthday OHP - 40 Strict Reps with 225lbs

    Posted: 10 May 2021 05:02 AM PDT

    Howdy!

    My previous posts here have all my training history, background, etc. so I'll skip that part. I did 8x5 at 225lbs strict with 1 minute rest between sets for a total of 40 reps in under 10 minutes. It was very difficult for me.

    Vid of the Did

    Current Stats

    • 40 years old
    • 225ish lbs
    • Still male
    • Still 5'11"
    • Still no steroids

    Pics Since I Always Get Asked

    Weirdest OHP PR Chart Ever

    Rack and Equipment

    Current Training

    • I've been focusing on this for 10-12 weeks. In that time every upper day was OHP focused (yep, no bench days during this time). For the main OHP work, I would cycle through:
      • 8x5, 1 min rest, try to increase weight over the 12 weeks
      • 8x5 with 225, try to decrease rest
      • 8x1 with 225, 1 min rest, try to increase reps
    • For lower days, I focused more on conditioning. So, each lower day started with 8-10 sets of 16-20 reps of belt squat. I reduced my training frequency down to maybe 5ish days/week on average. The only thing other than pressing that I really pushed was back work. A typical back day would be 4x5-8 and 4x12-30 of rows, 4x5-8 and 4x12-20 of weighted pull ups, and some fiddly bits. I also did direct core work every lifting day.

    Other Random Observations

    • My shoulders are a bit toasty.
    • I kept the increased grip width that I started a few months ago. Maybe it keeps the bar closer instead of getting out in front of me?
    • In total, this was my 5th attempt.
    • I tried 8, 7, 5x5, but failed twice. 8x5 was only one additional set, but actually went quicker because I didn't need as much rest between sets.
    • 8/7/5/5/5/5/5 was waaaay harder. Starting out with 8 reps got my heart and lungs going significantly more than 5 and I struggled the rest of the sets.
    • Trying to stay as calm as possible and focusing on catching my breath during the rest periods helped.
    • I tend to black out on OHP a lot, so I've been drinking a lot of water even though it tastes bad.
    • This was a fun challenge. It was very different from what I usually chase and I think the change of pace was nice. I like setting goals/challenges for myself. 40 reps with 2PL8s (BW) on my 40th birthday just seemed cool. :)
    • I miss Spengs.

    FAQs

    • What's next? I want to bench. I'm going to do Grog's 28 Free: 3xInt High Bench, 2xInt OHP, 2xInt Squat, 3xLow Deadlift. I'll be lean (for me) for the summer and then I'd like to bulk back to 245.
    • Why do you obscure your face? So people can't see it.
    • Why the funny lights? Preference.
    • Why don't you compete in a strength sport? The same reason I don't compete in any other sport… I don't want to.
    • Have you ever measured your testosteronies? Yep, I'm about 300ish.

    Wrap-Up

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/ZBGBs
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment