• Breaking News

    Monday, January 4, 2021

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread


    Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Posted: 04 Jan 2021 12:34 AM PST

    Get your dunce hats out, Fittit, it's time for your weekly Stupid Questions Thread.

    Post your question - stupid or otherwise - here to get an answer. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer. Many questions get submitted late each week that don't get a lot of action, so if your question didn't get answered before, feel free to post it again.

    As always, be sure to read the FAQ first.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness".

    Be sure to check back often as questions get posted throughout the day. Lastly, it may be a good idea to sort comments by "new" to be sure the newer questions get some love as well. Click here to sort by new in this thread only.

    So, what's rattling around in your brain this week, Fittit?


    As per this thread, the community has asked that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Moronic Monday thread. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.

    submitted by /u/cdingo
    [link] [comments]

    Is it counter productive to do biking everyday when it comes to strength training / leg day efforts?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 06:50 PM PST

    Cardio benefits are amazing and leg strength and endurance improves from daily biking however do burning of calories and not recovering back to full leg strength act as counterproductive to the goals I mentioned?

    submitted by /u/galaxyfloating
    [link] [comments]

    I’m so embarrassed to go to the gym

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 03:49 PM PST

    I never ever went to a gym. I'm skinny and I don't know how machines work, or where are located, or how to do the exercises, or basic gym norms. Nothing. I've already paid one month, but I haven't made to the gym sadly. I want to start changing my body, but just the fact of thinking that I'll be lost there without knowing what to do embarrases me. Idk if there's some tips or videos or something for beginners? I already have my routine with the exercises and searched for videos of how to do them correctly, but really it costs me a lot going to a gym.

    submitted by /u/Significant_Union780
    [link] [comments]

    What would be a good split for someone not doing legs?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2021 01:22 AM PST

    During quarantine and gyms being shut down, I turned to my long arch nemesis, cardio. I went too hard too quick and ended up wearing out my knee. I'm going to a sports medicine center next week, however I think the conclusion will be that I need to stop any running, biking, and lower lifts for a while.

    My gym recently opened back up. To make the most of my time, what split should I do since I won't be doing any lower lifts? PPL minus L? Bro split?

    Thanks for the help.

    submitted by /u/callofsloth
    [link] [comments]

    Should I do weightlifting, calisthenics or both?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 10:41 AM PST

    Hello everyone,

    I'm finally starting to workout more. I came across something that I haven't really thought about; should I do calisthenics, weightlifting or incorporate both into my routine? When it comes to my overall physique, I'm 6'3, skinny and I can't do a pull up.

    Also, which exercise would be better for building muscle? Should I do weightlifting first to build some muscle before moving on to calisthenics?

    submitted by /u/TheValknut
    [link] [comments]

    Best Whey Protein?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 08:30 AM PST

    As I am considering adding whey protein into my diet, I was wondering what are some of the safest and cleanest options out there?

    submitted by /u/DoNt-BoThOr
    [link] [comments]

    Any way to work the lower back without hitting hamstrings?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 08:43 AM PST

    I'm dealing with high hamstring tendinopathy and haven't been able to deadlift in a few months. I was wondering if there are any effective lower back exercises that focus on the erectors without engaging the hamstrings- if that is even anatomically possible. I'm currently just doing high RDLs, going no lower than the knees. Any better substitutes here?

    submitted by /u/JollyJury
    [link] [comments]

    Tracking Rest Between Sets

    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 03:33 AM PST

    I prefer to take long rests between heavy sets (sometimes around 10min) especially during weighted pullups. Currently I use Google sheets to track progress on PRs and overall volume but I lack a convenient way to track individual sets and the time inbetween. Ive tried multiple apps such as Strong, JeFit and simple workout log but none of them seem to offer a way of recording rest time. With recording I mean that I can also export the rest data as Excel or CSV so I can perform some statistics for myself. Im close to building it as web interface myself, but I seem like I just missing some App or offering for this. Or am I just one of the few who care about tracking rest?

    submitted by /u/g3eronimo
    [link] [comments]

    Pain in front of shoulder after bench pressing

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 01:32 PM PST

    I did some searching and the general consensus seems to be that I've used too much weight and/or didn't warm up enough. I understand the solution is also generally to rest it for a few weeks as well as to change some form or limit range of motion to prevent this in the future.

    With that said, does anyone know what the actual part that is injured is? The pain I'm feeling feels like a slight burning sensation, and also when actually benching or trying to do a push-up, the front of the shoulder feels a little tweaky, as if you're messing around with your funny bone. What's the medical name for this? Is it a ligament or something else? Is it actually torn or is it just a little inflamed?

    submitted by /u/Arthurdubya
    [link] [comments]

    Question about training to failure

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 01:14 PM PST

    I've worked out before but have been slacking lately and want to get back into it and do it "right".

    I've been reading and watching videos and it seems that training to failure is best reserved for the last set of the last exercise per body part (or something similar but certainly don't train to failure on every set). And every set that doesn't go to failure you leave around 2 reps in the tank.

    I have a bit of confusion of actually implementing this though. And for reference, my program will (in general) consist of 3 sets per exercise in the 8-12 rep range and once I can hit 12 reps for each set I will then increase the weight. I will provide an example, let's say I'm doing bench press.

    Week 1 @ 100lbs: set 1=8 reps, set 2=8 reps, set 3=8 reps (for all 3 sets I leave 2 reps in the tank)

    Week 2 @ 100lbs: set 1=9 reps, set 2=9 reps, set 3=9 reps (last set only leaves 1 in the tank)

    Week 3 @ 100lbs: set 1=10 reps, set 2=10 reps, set 3=10 reps (for the last 2 sets I need to go to failure)

    So with the above scenario, in week 3 I was able to do more reps than the previous week, however I went to failure on 2 sets when it should've be 0. Do I now increase the reps to 11 for week 4 knowing that most likely I'd need to go to failure again? Or should I just decrease the weight until I can do all 3 sets of 12 reps with no failure?

    Hope I explained this correctly!

    submitted by /u/marksefor
    [link] [comments]

    Starting out

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 10:50 AM PST

    Hello

    How do people manage lifting weights and cardio when first starting out? I am overweight and am trying to do both, but I just dont have the energy after lifting weights to do cardio and the energy to do cardio on the off days. Any input would be helpful.

    submitted by /u/dogfish1980
    [link] [comments]

    Need help starting a proper training plan...

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 10:40 AM PST

    Hello!

    Not sure where to start, basically, I'm a young adult looking to build muscle and build my form, and just to look better generally speaking. Not "shredded". But every time I try to start that journey it seems to stop somehow. Either by school work or loss of "motivation" due to no results. I understand building a body is a delicate process.

    But I find myself sticking to something that has a plan out and I can see it. For the previous times, I didn't really have that. I had an okay workout plan of YT vids, but no meal plan. And that seemed to be the problem for me. I'm a bit clueless of how to eat good, but also not go overboard with it. I do have experience with exercise and workouts though.

    Here is my main issue: I want to transform, but not sure how. The local coaches where I live are lazy and don't write a proper plan, and I can't pay an online coach due to that fact there is no CC systems in my country.

    So I'm left to ask someone online who had previous experience and willing to share what they did. Or someone experienced who can guide me through this.

    The only equipment I have at home is a pair of weight-changeable dumbbells. Looking to use those and body exercises, if possible. As going to a gym is hard during this time.

    Can I do this at home and see good results? Is 30 mins a day for like 4 days a week possible?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/A-_-ok
    [link] [comments]

    Skinny and long forehands

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 10:39 AM PST

    Hello everyone, I have a problem with my forearms. They are very long and skinny as hell. They look and are weak and so is my wrist. Pushups and normal bodyweight exercises don't work in helping me to get them stronger, sometimes the exercises just give my wrist pain. Do you have any tips, workouts or anything else that could help me, it would be much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/HolySebaa
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone Interested In A Remote Workout Buddy?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 10:00 AM PST

    Last year, I really focused on learning diets, what works for me, etc. It went great, cut my body fat down to 10%, felt great, and ate way healthier than ever before. This year, I plan on doing that with my excercise.

    However, last year I did it alone. My friends would ask me about it, but I wasn't in it with anyone else. I'd like to change that this year. If anyone is interested in a remote workout buddy, post here and your general goal, I will match you the best I can with someone that has similar goals so you can share in your wins, losses, research, questions, etc. And make more progress than you would alone!

    submitted by /u/analyzeallday
    [link] [comments]

    More intense 2nd trimester friendly programs

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 07:04 AM PST

    I've already searched the web, YouTube and asked on r/pregnant but figured you might have some more specific expertise. I'm 18 weeks pregnant and not interested in diastasis recti, therefore I've started looking specifically for pregnancy workouts on YouTube. I prefer to break a good sweat, therefore I like HIIT and more intense workouts. Most pregnancy specific material however is too gentle for my liking. Any recs? Also open to pay for a good app, book etc if any of you want to recommend that.

    submitted by /u/Local-Caramel
    [link] [comments]

    Good upper lower splits?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 08:10 AM PST

    I've been working out for about 3 months, but I'm getting bored of my workout schedule of PPL. Is there any good upper lower splits that focuses specifically on strength? Like not super focused on high rep low intensity hypertrophy stuff.

    submitted by /u/iceman676
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment