• Breaking News

    Monday, August 10, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread


    Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 12:35 AM PDT

    Get your dunce hats out, Fittit, it's time for your weekly Stupid Questions Thread.

    Post your question - stupid or otherwise - here to get an answer. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer. Many questions get submitted late each week that don't get a lot of action, so if your question didn't get answered before, feel free to post it again.

    As always, be sure to read the FAQ first.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness".

    Be sure to check back often as questions get posted throughout the day. Lastly, it may be a good idea to sort comments by "new" to be sure the newer questions get some love as well. Click here to sort by new in this thread only.

    So, what's rattling around in your brain this week, Fittit?


    As per this thread, the community has asked that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Moronic Monday thread. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.

    submitted by /u/cdingo
    [link] [comments]

    Higher Rep-Range Squats Being Limited by Me Getting Out of Breath Rather than Muscle Fatigue?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 08:39 PM PDT

    I'm currently doing Ivysaurs 4-4-8, which has you alternate between four heavier sets of four reps, and four lighter sets of eight reps, for each exercise.

    When I do the sets of four, if I struggle with a set, it's always because of muscle fatigue. Which makes sense to me, because it means I'm lifting a challenging enough weight for adaption.

    However, when it comes to the sets of eight, before I even feel that burn in my legs, I find myself struggling to catch my breath, almost as if I were doing cardio. It makes the 8-rep squats feel brutal, and I look forward to them the least out of any exercise in the program.

    Seeing as there are many people out there who lift in 12-20 rep ranges, eight shouldn't even be considered "high reps," should it? Well, it feels like a lot to me, because I'm panting like a dog afterward, and the fact that my pulmonary system is getting tired before my muscles do makes me suspect that getting out of breath is preventing me from being able to lift weights heavy enough to actually tax my muscles at the eight-rep range.

    I've been adding cardio back into my exercise routine recently, as that had kind of fallen by the wayside. Will continuing to run help train my heart and lungs to handle sets of eight squat reps better? What can I do to make it so lifting a weight for eight reps doesn't make me so out of breath that I can barely lift heavy enough to actually tire out my muscles?

    submitted by /u/MrDownhillRacer
    [link] [comments]

    Disabled due to a neuropathy looking for some easy exercises to improve his fitness.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 11:58 PM PDT

    Good morning.

    I know mine is a strange request and I'll try my best to give as many info I can.

    I'm disabled with a peripheral neuropathy. This means I basically can't move my legs (really limited movement) and I can't stand up except with the knee leaning against something and the support of someone or resting with the whole torso on a table. My arms are better than my legs but they aren't strong enough.

    My fitness problem is that I have a few extra pounds (I am not obese, officially I would be in the overweight) and they are all in my belly. In fact, although the rest of my body is "normal", I have too many centimeters on the waist. That's what I want to fix!

    If it can help you, I already do some exercises to mobilize my legs with the help of therabands.

    I'm ready to consider everything.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/hero46it
    [link] [comments]

    14 Year Old. Any advice for healthy habits and a decent body?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 03:32 AM PDT

    I wanna get into more physical activity for myself to be overall healthier and content with my body. Probably induce better habits too. Right now I'm around 118 pounds and fairly frail. (;-;)

    I'm 5'7ft if that matters(?)

    I'm not looking for a ripped body, but just some definition in my stomach and chest ig. Though im not sure what I really need to do. Different websites say different things and some of it is not really what I'm looking for.

    Also, I don't have any equipment. I do although have a 15 pound-ish barbell. There's not much room in my apartment to get anything big and I have no money :(

    Any advice helps!!

    submitted by /u/haiitsme_
    [link] [comments]

    Quarterly Routines Megathread!

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Quarterly Routines Megathread!

    This thread is for sharing workout routines that others may not know about which you've followed and that helped you in your fitness goals.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Working out "opposite" muscles prevents growth, is there any truth to this?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 11:55 PM PDT

    Back in high school, my physical education teacher taught us that working out 'opposite' muscles such as the biceps and triceps in the same day or workout prevents each other from growing, or somehow countering the other.

    Is there any truth or scientific evidence to back this? Ever since then I've subconciously incorporated these to my workouts and I want to know if Im being inefficent in my workouts.

    submitted by /u/gab51299
    [link] [comments]

    Arms and shoulders are quite shredded, core is very fatty.

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 04:05 AM PDT

    Noticed this for a while now, if you see me in a tee shirt I look pretty shredded. You can see separations on my forearms, bicep and tricep, I'm very veiny along forearms and biceps and even from time to time very sight striations are visible around my arms and even shoulders. However I have alot of fat around my core. My abs are barely visible through around 14-16mm of fat.

    I've tested my bodyfat with 7 site caliper bodyfat calculator and it comes back between 11-13%, with everything but my core being sub 7-8mm. Is this normal?

    submitted by /u/NitrooCS
    [link] [comments]

    Plan for Tramping/Hiking Fitness

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 03:47 AM PDT

    Hi all!

    I'm going to do a 3-day hike to summit a local mountain in 23 days, and I was advised to do some casual fitness training so I'd be prepared 2 months ago... yes, I left this very last minute.

    I need some advice/a plan to build some level of aerobic fitness in the short time I have left if at all possible!

    A little about me: I'm a 19 year old, 173cm tall, 65kg woman. I do no regular exercise beyond a moderate level of walking necessary in my day-to-day activities.

    Thanks for any help you can offer!

    submitted by /u/Star_Statics
    [link] [comments]

    Help creating a lighter/less frequent workout coming off strength training

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 03:44 AM PDT

    I've been weightlifting for about 4 years now, using 5x5's, Madcow, then 5/3/1, however I've recently started playing tennis and love it! I haven't got the leg energy to put the volume of squats/deadlifts these programs require any more, and I know with my upper body lifts I need to probably hit each group twice per week to maintain/build strength now. Could anybody advise me on any possible twice per week all round workouts, or how to create one? Happy to include any compound lifts/pullups/dips. Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

    submitted by /u/GrahznyEggywegg
    [link] [comments]

    How to cycle yohimbine

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 03:27 AM PDT

    I was thinking about using yohimbine to increase my weight loss, but i have read that the body builds tolerance to it, so how can i cycle it? and does it build tolerance to the stimulant effect and the fat burning effect?

    submitted by /u/azad01325
    [link] [comments]

    Back always sore on 6 day beginner PPL split

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 03:24 AM PDT

    I've recently started the Linear Progression PPL program, but have been working out for about a year now.

    I've been focussing on perfect form on all lifts, but the Romanian Deadlift (still a deadlift variation I guess) and Squat (retracting and depressing my scapula to support the bar) on Leg Day and Bench Press and Incline Bench Press (retracting and depressing your scapula) on Push day make my back too sore to follow the 6 day split. Is this normal and will it fade away? I only just started doing Romanian Deadlifts (only did regular deadlifts on leg day before which I stopped because my back was too sore following that) and started really squeezing together my shoulder blades throughout the entire set of my benches and trying to depress them (which is pretty hard for me still).

    It might be that my recovery was slightly off because I've been sleeping a bit less (around 7 hours rather than 8 hours) than before the heat wave my country is experiencing at the moment. However, I didn't have more soreness in my legs or chest shoulders and triceps, so I don't think this is the deciding factor.

    submitted by /u/Janu5142
    [link] [comments]

    Iso/Hypo/Hypertonic drinks for strength training

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 03:13 AM PDT

    Hi guys,

    I am not totally new to fitness, already have couple years under my belt, but since it was mostly reduction reasons, I did not really ran into this. I naturally sweat a lot. And by lot I mean A LOT, as in raining on my friend while spotting him.

    Do you think that hypotonic drinks would make sense for me, since I am losing quite a bit of water during any activity (I sweat salty, not watery..) ? I used to have isotonic, mostly for the carb fuel during heavier days.

    Findings online vary, so asking here :) Thanks for any input

    submitted by /u/cepeshi
    [link] [comments]

    Workout during school days

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 03:12 AM PDT

    So recently I've been working out a lot due to lockdown and I want to continue like this, but the schools are opening soon so should I workout before or after school?

    submitted by /u/get_out_im_anonymous
    [link] [comments]

    Need a beginner hand grip routine with a 10-40 kg gripper.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 10:31 PM PDT

    Need advice on a grip routine as a beginner with hand gripper and finger extensor band.

    Your Goals. Need to make my overall hand grip stronger. I have a very weak handshake and weak wrists. So, basically, I need to strengthen my grip and wrists. I want a crushing firm handshake and good grip for holding on to things and rock climbing( I have only done it 3-4 times). Forearm aesthetics would be awesome but not necessary for now.

    Prior grip experience. No prior experience.

    A bit about your situation. I have a very weak grip, weak handshake and weak wrists which start paining if I keep my head in my hand for too long. I also don't have a good gripping technique. So, I need to learn good form, and gain good grip and wrist strength. Muscular forearms would be a plus.

    How do you train, now? Do you have access to a gym? Do you just use random stuff at home?

    I currently don't have access to a gym right now. I am buying a 10-40kg hand gripper and finger extensor band.

    I may buy a pair of 5kg dumbells but I would love to get a routine without them as good quality dumbells and barbells are out of stock or too expensive for me.

    submitted by /u/Yagami888
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to rupture a spleen during deadlifts?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 01:57 AM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I was warming up for deadlifts today and during my last warmup set which is 80% of my 5 rep max, I felt a pain in my upper left abdomen/ribcage area. I think the injury is more to do with my bracing rather than my form. I think I just take a big gulp of air and think I am bracing when I am not...? Anyway, my upper left abdomen area is swollen and sore when pressure is applied or if I brace my abs.

    I am worried I ruptured/injured my spleen. Or do you guys think its just an abdomen injury? Any help is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/snarfarlarkus
    [link] [comments]

    Greyskull base program without any ‘plug-ins’. Can I make progress?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 01:27 AM PDT

    I'm a complete novice to weights, strength building etc. All I've really done at the gym is use the weight machines without really knowing what I'm doing.

    I'm planning on starting Greyskull to begin growing some muscles!

    My question is, will the base program be enough? or should I add some plug-ins?

    The base program seems pretty short to me only doing 2 exercises per workout, but then again, I don't know anything about weights etc so reddit, please enlighten me...

    For a bench mark, I'm 18 and can do 40 press-ups but I don't have much visible muscle definition and have a bit of fat that could probably be lost (although I wouldn't consider my self as 'fat' per se).

    submitted by /u/taxationcrustacean
    [link] [comments]

    Question about burning calories

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 12:17 AM PDT

    If two people do a exercise, but one of them is really in shape, and the other is pretty average, do they burn the same amount of calories for the same movements/actions?

    In that same thought process, if someone in shape is able to burn more calories in the same amount of time, does that mean in general exercise/fitness is more efficient the more in shape you already are?

    So someone could do a 30 minute run that someone in better shape could do in 20?

    Or is the opposite true, that being in shape means your body is more efficient at exercising so you actually burn less calories?

    submitted by /u/SteezyCougar
    [link] [comments]

    Walking 10km versus Running 10km: Do both burn the same calories?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 12:06 AM PDT

    I'd like to figure this out for my sake and the sake of others who experience knee and leg pain while running and jogging, and who therefore cannot complete their cardio regime due to injuries. Walking is far easier on the joints and I wanted to know if walking the same distance as running it, would burn the same number of calories.

    For example, I could run/jog 10km in 50 minutes, or I could walk 10km in 1.5 hours. The same distance is covered. Running is more efficient as you complete you goal faster, but so long as the same distance is covered, are the same number of calories burned minus the obvious post-run effect of a little more calorie burning (that can easily be made-up for if walking, by reducing your calories by 50-100).

    submitted by /u/CyberPunkCity
    [link] [comments]

    If I have a new caloric intake, do I scrap my old data (nSuns)

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 10:29 PM PDT

    So I've been logging my data for almost 3 weeks. Got an idea of my maintenance and now want to lower it -300cal for a recomp(25/M/189lb-87.5kg/25%bdfat/beginner). Here's my TDEE 3.0 data so far. Would changing the caloric intake mess with it? Should I just start again with my new daily calorie goal?

    submitted by /u/Engret
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any benifit to training each muscle more than twice a week(say 3 times a week)

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 09:12 PM PDT

    I'm new to working out and have been on a push/pull/legs split for a month. I'm wondering if switching to a push/pull split or total body 3 times a week will make a difference.if weekly volume remains the Same, does frequency even matter? Thanks in advance! :)

    submitted by /u/-PRED8R-
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment