• Breaking News

    Monday, July 20, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread


    Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 12:41 AM PDT

    Get your dunce hats out, Fittit, it's time for your weekly Stupid Questions Thread.

    Post your question - stupid or otherwise - here to get an answer. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer. Many questions get submitted late each week that don't get a lot of action, so if your question didn't get answered before, feel free to post it again.

    As always, be sure to read the FAQ first.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness".

    Be sure to check back often as questions get posted throughout the day. Lastly, it may be a good idea to sort comments by "new" to be sure the newer questions get some love as well. Click here to sort by new in this thread only.

    So, what's rattling around in your brain this week, Fittit?


    As per this thread, the community has asked that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Moronic Monday thread. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.

    submitted by /u/cdingo
    [link] [comments]

    Does a home Water Rower really work 86% of muscles? and can it replace an exercise bike?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 09:31 PM PDT

    I'm looking into water rowers and came across an article that says rowers in general utilize 86% of your muscles. Is this true? and can it replace an exercise bike?

    I'm looking for something different that I'll be excited to use every day or every other day, is quiet and this seems like it'd be kind of cool. I have a small living room I can fit one or two pieces of equipment so I have to make it count!

    Thank you for the read.

    submitted by /u/floridaman15
    [link] [comments]

    Reverse dumbbell fly vs Band pull apart

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 09:36 AM PDT

    Do they have the same function? Is one better than the other? I have 5kg dumbbells and different resistance bands.

    submitted by /u/sekundes81
    [link] [comments]

    Are workouts in bursts as useful as long workouts?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 02:21 AM PDT

    I usually do a 60 minute workout a day to burn about [800 kcal]\* with BeatSaber (VR rythm game where you cut blocks to the beat). I don't think my fitness tracker takes the session length into account, because it's really basic.

    During homeoffice, I do 5-minute-workout-breaks every hour to reset my brain. That works quite nice. But what about burning calories? Are these 8*5 minutes comparable to a single 30-minute-workout?

    \ as others mentioned, this value is probably off. The tracker I use relies on tracking the controllers and the headset. However, smarter people than me came to the conclusion, that casual Beat Saber is equivalent to playing Tennis casually. And the more difficult the levels, the higher the burn. Source:* https://www.roadtovr.com/playing-beat-saber-burn-number-calories-tennis/

    submitted by /u/skalibran
    [link] [comments]

    Early morning runs or afternoon runs?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 05:54 PM PDT

    I've been going on runs around 5pm ish, but my friends have said going early morning is better, especially before you've eaten as you use your body fat as an energy source rather than using the food you ate earlier. How accurate is this?

    submitted by /u/Cramondb0y
    [link] [comments]

    Pre-exhausting muscles?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 04:13 PM PDT

    Does pre-exhausting muscles before a bigger lift increase or decrease muscular hypertrophy for that muscle?

    An example, if I wanted to grow my triceps, would doing overhead extensions and push downs before OHP yield better or worse hypertrophy than doing the bigger lift first?

    submitted by /u/Qwsdxcbjking
    [link] [comments]

    Is your lower back meant to be sore from back squats?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 08:14 PM PDT

    After BW back squats, (around 60kg) my lower back feels pretty beat up. The day after my leg day my lower back is sore, and I don't do deadlifts on leg day. I just want to make sure that I'm not wrecking my back, and if I need to improve my form.

    submitted by /u/cold1nfern0
    [link] [comments]

    Diet issue - I struggle with eating enough

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 10:38 PM PDT

    I eat healthy, good food, but I struggle with quantity. I am a woman, have a slim stature, but seem to find it difficult to eat a lot, especially in the morning. Most times it makes me sick if I force myself to eat a larger quantity.

    The problem is when I get to doing my workouts, I get fatigued quicker, making the workout less effective. I'm hungry after the workout and find it easy to eat more then, but how do I solve this problem of not eating enough before my workouts?

    Also am I not eating enough carbs and proteins maybe? What other carbs can I eat other than bread?

    submitted by /u/squatternutboshh
    [link] [comments]

    Staying lean after a cut and increasing carbs.

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 04:15 AM PDT

    Ever time i come off of a cut and increase my carbs my leaness disappears. Carbs are no good for me at all but I crave them so bad after a cut that I just end up over indulging. Is it possible to stay lean eating at maintenance after a cut? Is it just a case of increasing protein to hit maintenance calories?

    Due to the loss of leaness when increasing carbs i tend to spin my wheels constantly going from bulking to cutting.

    Any advice please?

    submitted by /u/duplex78
    [link] [comments]

    A few questions about the Hex bar

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 11:56 PM PDT

    First let me say that I consider myself to be a newbie lifter, male, 6'0". I weigh 217 lbs. I'm 38 years old. I've been at it for about a year, but I look at it as a 5 or 10 year process to get a perfect natural (natty) physique. As a newb, I'd like to explain my situation and have you guys critique my workout and tell me what I should do to put on muscle faster.

    I like using the Hex bar (aka trap bar) instead of doing squats. I just don't like squats at all, but I just love the Hex bar. I was so out of shape, that I had to work my way up from having only two 35 lb weights on the hex bar. But now I've got two 45's, and two 35's on the bar. For a total of 160lbs in weights. I do 4 sets of 5 reps. And I do this every other day. Lift 1 day, rest the next day, lift again the day after that. Is this a good routine? 7 reps is about all I can muster per set, if I really try hard. Should the weight be lower? I do feel like I'm still gettting stronger, but is this the best way to put on natural muscle? I feel like soon I will need to replace the two 35 lb weights, with two 45 lb weights.

    Would you say that I'm training properly? I've heard it said that as long as you're still gaining strength and you haven't plateaued, you're doing it well enough. Is this true, for someone who is looking for that very nice bodybuilder's physique? I want to earn that "perfect" physique no matter how long it takes. With the knowledge to maintain it for the next 20 years.

    Afterthought: I do other workouts where I have noticed gains over the past year, but the hex bar is the one I'm kind of unsure whether I'm doing everything right.

    submitted by /u/rampitup55
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a good full body workout (I do it every 2nd day) what should I add or remove?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 03:26 AM PDT

    Squats 5x5 Bench 4x10 Row 3x10 each side Deadlift 3x8 Bicep curl 4x8 Dumbbell stepping lunge 3x8 Lat pull down 3x8 Treadmill 20 min

    submitted by /u/patrikGcvc
    [link] [comments]

    Extreme muscle fatigue in the morning

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 11:38 PM PDT

    Due to my current situation I am only able to work out in the morning, ever since I have suffered from extreme muscle fatigue in the morning. It's incredibly hard for me to get going and do lifting or just follow my routine. It gets easier to do it during the day but again as said my schedule doesn't allow for this. What can I do to make it easier for myself?

    submitted by /u/MyChuunibyou
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to have gained 5kg in two weeks?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 01:56 AM PDT

    I am currently on leave and due to lockdown have been very inactive. Usually my job is very active and I have gained 5kg. Is this even possible?

    submitted by /u/ZestycloseGarden5
    [link] [comments]

    Workout days

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 01:00 AM PDT

    I follow a program that has a split of chest and biceps, legs, shoulders and triceps, back. I was wondering would it be beneficial for me to add extra day to improve my muscles that I want to develope faster. For example my bicep and shoulders, or should I stick to the program.

    submitted by /u/Philosopfinn
    [link] [comments]

    How do i balance bodybuilding with sport?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 06:19 PM PDT

    Im finding it really difficult to gym between basketball & volleyball sessions. Often when i gym the day before i play ball, i end up with seriously sore muscles. Even trying to go to the gym at 3x/week seems really difficult and was wondering how long between activity i should be resting or any other tips without having to compromise another.

    Rn my schedule is

    Mond Tues - bball Wed - upper Thurs Fri - volley Sat - lower Sun - upper

    submitted by /u/S2ilverEagle
    [link] [comments]

    Should I take a week off and what should replace my workout?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 11:02 PM PDT

    Hey there,

    So during quarantine I decided to become more active and I bought some adjustable dumbbells and a bench. I started just doing whatever my Fitbod app told me to do for a while but I decided to follow a actual plan. It's a simple 5 day Dumbbell workout. I've been enjoying. So far I've completed three weeks of it and I feel a lot stronger and have noticed myself building muscle.

    I'm pretty tired though lol. I'm considering taking this week off and then doing another 3 weeks on and then another week off (going out of state for a wedding that week). But I'm not sure if I will lose any gains this week or if I should do something else this week, like yoga or something.

    Any advice on taking week breaks from a workout plan? Should I do something, like yoga or stretches, during this off week?

    submitted by /u/churro777
    [link] [comments]

    Starting mesocycle with low volume high rpe and working towards high volume and lower rpe? For hypertrophy

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 06:27 PM PDT

    Hey, new to programming here, before I was just doing brosplit ppl shit without any structure

    I'm planning on hitting each muscle group 3x a week, besides legs which is 1.5x a week I'm wondering if at the beginning of the mesocycle, I start at low volume and week By week working up to a high volume , overreaching past adequate recovery for a week or 2, then deloading

    The beginning of the meso I'm not gonna be doing much volume. If I'm doing 3x for chest, I might do like 4 sets at the beginning and work my way up to like 8 sets 3x a week. Since the volume is so low can I just train for strength and really make those sets intense

    And as I progress to 8 sets 3x a week, individual sets will not be as difficult but enough to generate adequate muscle damage for growth

    Is this a legit plan? Plz roast me if it's awful

    submitted by /u/czw5377777777
    [link] [comments]

    How to progressively overload on dumbells?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 06:21 PM PDT

    Sorry if my english is trash; but just curious on how to increase dumbell weight when lifting? Where I live, they increase with a 2kg gap (4,4 lbs). For instance, i can do 3x12 shoulder flies with 8kg, but if I try 10kg, i get terrible form the last 4-5 reps. How do I make this work?

    submitted by /u/PortalBreaker
    [link] [comments]

    How far does eating over your calorie deficit for a day actually set you back?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 07:25 PM PDT

    Every once and a while, obviously not often, but I have those days where I just say fuck it and rather than eating my calorie deficit amount, I eat around the amount that I would to "maintain" my current weight, so no calorie deficit at all, because I know it won't set me back a lifetime, but how much does it actually set you back if at all?

    submitted by /u/pumpkinqueen25
    [link] [comments]

    Why am I still able to complete a rep even though I'm extremely exhausted?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 07:24 PM PDT

    Basically, when I am bench pressing, the last 1-2 reps of each set are really, really slow. But I'm never not able to get the bar back up. It feels like I'm about to give up, but my body is just able to push through. Is there a scientific explainatIon for as to why my reps become extremely slow but still strong?

    I worry for the day that my final rep actually fails and I get a bar on my neck.

    submitted by /u/throwRAAWAYwithme
    [link] [comments]

    what should i be doing

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 12:39 AM PDT

    i'm 15, 6'2" and a little over 150 lbs. i play volleyball and basketball so i want a body that suits those. i want to be heavier but not bulky. i want to be lean, muscular, and flexible. what sorts of exercises should i be doing to achieve this? also how much should i be eating and what sorts of things?

    submitted by /u/gartshrimpson
    [link] [comments]

    Not sure how to continue my workouts?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 05:52 PM PDT

    So when quarantine first started I weighed around 145 lbs (I am a 5'4 male) with quite a bit of fat (skinny fat). I have been doing a pretty consistent cut where I eat 1500 cal/day and work out 3 times a week (strictly upper body only). I've now lost 25 lbs and I still don't really see my abs that well, because there is still a layer of fat on top. Ideally I would love to have abs before I start the bulking process, but I'm worried that if I continue my cut I might sacrifice more muscle and not reach the 6 pack. To give you some idea I have been doing bench press, bicep curls, diamond push-ups, and hammer curls (mainly focusing on my arms/chest). Recently I have replaced the hammer curls with chin ups, because I heard it's a better core workout and may help me get abs. My question is should I continue with the cut until I get abs or should I just start bulking now? If I do continue cutting, what other workouts should I incorporate to build my abs? Maybe I should also do cardio? If anyone has any advice/tips that would be great. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/TMGunna
    [link] [comments]

    I gained 4 kg and then lost it all the next day? Help.

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 12:39 AM PDT

    For context, I play soccer on the top level at my age (15) and I am 186 cm

    So I was on holiday and I ate quite a bit. Before the holiday I was 73 kg. I had a lot of food and after I weighed 77 kg (When I weighed myself the last day on the trip). But when I got home I was back to 73 kg like magic. Any reason for it?

    submitted by /u/Windex450
    [link] [comments]

    Question from a 16 year old

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 05:51 PM PDT

    Hey, im a 6'2 16 year old who weighs roughly 80kgs, while I think I am in good shape I am having some trouble getting my abs to form. What advice and easy daily things could I do to help build up some ab muscles?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Sabawoonoz25
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment