• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 29, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 29, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 29, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 29, 2020

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Should I do my exercise in intervals?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 11:33 PM PDT

    For example, if I were to do a hundred pushups, would it be just as effective of I did 25 pushups, switched to some other exercises and repeated the same 4 times?

    submitted by /u/big-potato-diccs
    [link] [comments]

    Binging during a bulk/spinning my wheels.

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 03:40 AM PDT

    As a bit of background I'm a male who was overweight until my late teens and lost a good 50-60 pounds and kept it off(also should mention I had and still have to a lesser extent body dysmorphia since childhood). Unfortunately I became very comfortable training in a deficit or attempted deficit for extended periods, I hated the idea of gaining bodyfat in any way and despite the occasional binges I'd remain at around 140-150lbs at 5'11 while simultaneously spinning my wheels in the gym and never getting a lot stronger(been at 160 bench, 225 squat, 300 deadlift for MANY months).

    So after hitting another low in my weight I said F it and just went for the calories and tried to make it simple by not going for specific macros and just making sure I get enough fat and protein from decent sources while trying to be less restrictive and incorporate foods I'd normally ostracize(things like "unhealthy" cereals after a workout or pasta for carbs etc.).

    Some days have been alright, but overall it felt like I was just losing control on my intake with a few bad binges over the course of a month and a general feeling of anxiety over the weight gain and feeling very soft. I've been trying to focus on my energy levels for training, while definitely leaning on the dirty bulk side being up about 10lbs in a little over a month(about 160ish right now).

    I expected a bit of an explosion after years of such restrictive and regimented eating, but it's still very frightening to me. I don't want to go back into a deficit AGAIN, but it feels like I'll either be lean and weak forever or get way too fat in the name of strength. Sorry for the long ramble, but it's been really stressing me and I'm curious if anyone has words of wisdom from a similar struggle and how they overcame it.

    submitted by /u/Jerbalis
    [link] [comments]

    Rant Wednesday

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to Rant Wednesday: It's your time to let your gym/fitness/nutrition related frustrations out!

    There is no guiding question to help stir up some rage-feels, feel free to fire at will, ranting about anything and everything that's been pissing you off or getting on your nerves!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Is it ok to add exercises to program?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 01:40 AM PDT

    I have recently hired a coach who wrote me a workout program. The program he wrote me is significantly lower in volume than the previous one I followed and many exercises have quite a low RPE (I'm hoping it'll get harder as the program progresses). I was wondering if it's acceptable to add in a couple exercises at the end of some of the workouts (that I know won't impact my recovery due to prior experience)?

    Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

    submitted by /u/Nomorethan2genders
    [link] [comments]

    Setting goals with cardio?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 12:41 AM PDT

    Setting goals with weights are easy. There are weights you can't attempt now but gradually working towards and reaching it has become a standard way to practice for me. You figure out by studying the muscles involved in making that weight. Incrementally improving through measurement gives me enourmous joy.

    With cardio it seems different because if I did really try I can run for 2hrs. But of course the level of exhaustion will be different compared to the state if I was well trained. Problem is this feeling of exhaustion is subjective though probably largely correct. I can easily sense if my daily 20min run felt easy or not but it's not something I can reliably measure everyday.

    Can you recommend a way? I can think of strapping myself with heart rate monitor and seeing how low it stays I suppose (?) but it seems so uncomfortable.

    submitted by /u/hotaway
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking lifestyle tips and advice for the most undetermined person ever...

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 03:11 AM PDT

    I'm a petite female only weighing 55kgs. My goal isn't to necessarily lose weight, but to tone up and become stronger and fitter. The problem is I have no willpower. Whether it be what I eat (I'm currently laying in bed with a freddo frog), or the ability to get off my butt and go for a walk. I need some motivation please.

    submitted by /u/mrsmanzo
    [link] [comments]

    Bias Against Conjugate Periodization

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 12:11 AM PDT

    It seems to me that there's a strong and unwarranted bias against conjugate periodization within the exercise science community (by which I'm referring to people like Mike Israetel, Eric Helms, Greg Nuckols, James Krieger, Brad Schoenfeld, etc.). They all staunchly advocate the traditional concept of periodization, which relies on strategic manipulation of volume and intensity in order to overcome the biological law of accomodation and drive continual progress.

    Conjugate periodization is fundamentally different in that volume and intensity are more or less held constant year-round, with frequent exercise variation serving as the primary driver of continual progress.

    Thousands of people around the world (including me) have had tremendous success running systems based on this unconventional paradigm, yet it doesn't seem to even get meaningfully acknowledged within the exercise science community -- I don't know of any scientific studies that have attempted to test the efficacy of conjugate periodization.

    Does anyone know why that is?

    submitted by /u/G_O_A_D
    [link] [comments]

    How to build a bigger and stronger neck without stressing that part of your spine

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 01:19 AM PDT

    Hello. I have a disproportionately sized neck compared to my head and I'd like to change that. My problem is that I have some issues in the thoracic spine that leave me with less spinal mobility and I have to be careful with anything that has to do with the spine. So how can I train my neck without putting too much stress on my spine both short and long term. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

    submitted by /u/RigasVelestinlis
    [link] [comments]

    Reverse dieting

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 10:34 PM PDT

    Does this work for those who have tried this. I do well for a while being in a calorie deficit then all of a sudden i dont lose weight. Does it help with your metabolism?

    submitted by /u/Candidate_Cautious
    [link] [comments]

    Why is running a thing?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 10:23 PM PDT

    I love it. With my whole heart I LOVE running. it's almost august now, i've been running consistently every other day (or more often almost everyday) since mid february. I struggled with bulimia at that time so my body and health was a mess. But i have been following a meal plan and getting much more protein in than i used to. Although i am satisfied with my results/pace (i'm doing 7km every other day) given that my body was pretty much destroyed.... i want to improve my pace but it doesn't seem to budge, no matter how good i feel. Should i be doing more strength training? are my legs doing just cardio and not any strength training not enough to advance my running goals? i would love to hear others' experiences with building endurance without injury! thanks!!

    submitted by /u/seapeachh
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment