• Breaking News

    Monday, June 15, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread


    Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 12:47 AM PDT

    Get your dunce hats out, Fittit, it's time for your weekly Stupid Questions Thread.

    Post your question - stupid or otherwise - here to get an answer. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer. Many questions get submitted late each week that don't get a lot of action, so if your question didn't get answered before, feel free to post it again.

    As always, be sure to read the FAQ first.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness".

    Be sure to check back often as questions get posted throughout the day. Lastly, it may be a good idea to sort comments by "new" to be sure the newer questions get some love as well. Click here to sort by new in this thread only.

    So, what's rattling around in your brain this week, Fittit?


    As per this thread, the community has asked that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Moronic Monday thread. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.

    submitted by /u/cdingo
    [link] [comments]

    I'm getting worse at running somehow?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 09:58 AM PDT

    I decided to finally get fit over lockdown, so I've been resistance training 3/4x a week, running 3x a week.

    A couple of weeks ago, I managed to run a 5k in under 25 minutes for the first time in over a year! However, since then I seem to be making reverse progress. I can barely run a kilometre in under 5m30s, and today I got such a bad stitch I had to stop after 2.5k. This isn't "I had a bad workout", but something that's happened over weeks. What could I be doing wrong that's causing this?

    Thank you all in advance.

    submitted by /u/m0st1yh4rm13ss
    [link] [comments]

    Those who finally returned to the gym after quarintine; how much has your strength changed?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 11:37 PM PDT

    I believe most places in the USA have reopened gyms by now. Where I live, we still got another month till they open. Those who dont have a home gym and been relying on pushups and sruff during months of quarintine; has you strength changed alot? Or did working out at home preserve most of it?

    submitted by /u/OhBoyWeGoAgain
    [link] [comments]

    Training Forearms

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 01:22 AM PDT

    What's the actual best way to train forearms? I see so many videos of how to train forearms and I've tried them but they feel extremely ineffective and I just end up giving up, what bothers me more is that people who work produce or things in that area usually build big fore arms, what workouts or training is the most optimal for forearms?

    submitted by /u/Pxnyboy
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any way to accurately measure my body fat percentage??

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 03:12 AM PDT

    I'm looking to cut fat as I'm "skinny fat" for a girl but I want to know how I can measure my progress.

    submitted by /u/poot_i_farted
    [link] [comments]

    Needing longer breaks to handle increased weight. Should I force it?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 10:42 PM PDT

    I've been aiming at increasing my weights and have been pretty successful over the past month since locked down here. My goal is recovering previous muscle and going through a period of gains before cutting.

    I find myself spending so much time at the gym bc I'm doing some 7-6-5-4-3-2-2 sets and increasing weights to my limit and I feel that a 45 second break isn't enough for me to handle increasing weight. I'd like to get out of the gym faster but also want to see the fruits of my labor!

    Should I be taking these long breaks? Would it be better to slow down the weight increase and stick to 45 second breaks? Or should I try to force the weight increase and short breaks and base the weight increases on what I can handle with that time?

    I'm following a 6-day a week push-pull-legs routine with the major muscle groups being on 7-6-5-4-3-2-2 sets

    submitted by /u/hotdiggydog
    [link] [comments]

    Can't get my diet under control. TLDR: I have lost weight before, but can't seem to get the discipline to do it again. There’s junk food available all the time in the house which is not negotiable. How do I get my self-control in check?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 04:47 AM PDT

    I'm 6 foot, male, 24, and need some advice. I'm 160 pounds, which sounds alright but 160 for me means chubby cheeks and a double chin 50% of the time, especially seeing as I have very little muscle.

    I dieted before and got from 170 ish to 139, which was too skinny but still wanted to lose more at that point as my chin & neck is not flattering thanks to genetics.

    I showed that I could lose weight by cutting out sugar & carbs strictly, but I haven't had the discipline to diet since lockdown started. My girlfriend always has junk food in the house, which is her right to be fair, but I can't help but pig out on some biscuits & junk food in the evenings.

    I want to get fit again and be proud with my shirt off, but I just haven't had the discipline or energy. I have what I need to do some solid cardio workouts or weight workouts also.

    submitted by /u/PKAJohn
    [link] [comments]

    What’s next after nSuns?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 04:42 AM PDT

    So I've been on nSuns 5/6 day for about 7 months now and I've finally hit the 1000lbs which I'm stoked about!

    However, I'm at that stage now where I feel like I'm at a good point to switch programs. nSuns is fantastic of course but sometimes the volume can be a little too much. Nothing I can't handle, but my job is also quite labour intensive so sometimes I just fade out.

    So is it worth sticking with nSuns or shall I try a different program and what do you all recommend?

    I'm only using a home gym, with a squat rack, bench, pull up bar and some dumbbells but that easily covers the major lifts.

    I should probably add, I'm happy on the strength/aesthetics route of fitness.

    submitted by /u/XtremeDJW
    [link] [comments]

    Help getting ready for a PT test at work.

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 04:35 AM PDT

    So I found out yesterday that there's an opening for a position at work coming up soon, and part of the application process is a PT test. Among other exercises that are up to the discretion of those administering the test, I know for a fact that part of it entails 25 push-ups within 60 seconds, 25 sit-ups within 60 seconds, and a 1 1/2 mile run in 14:28. I'm asking for tips on how to get myself up to those numbers, particularly the pushups and sit-ups. I'm 6'0 and approx. 270. I used to work out a few times a week, mainly lifting, but I haven't in about a year or so.

    My main issue with the pushups is my hips tend to sag down and I can't keep my back straight after probably the 5th or 6th one, and then I struggle to get back up. My issue with the sit-ups is having to do them and not being able to secure my feet beneath something, such as a partner holding them.

    Any tips would be very much appreciated.

    Also, these are listed as police academy regulation exercises, as this is a position within a corrections facility.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/KKYBoneAEA
    [link] [comments]

    Progression pattern on PHUP 4 days ?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 12:16 AM PDT

    I'm considering starting Campbell's PHUP 4 day split however there is nothing about a progression protocol on the program. Is it normal ? What is the progression protocol for this program ?

    submitted by /u/girlscloutcookie
    [link] [comments]

    Changing routine after gym reopens?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Hey I'm 18, 80kg

    I used the GZCLP program from August 2019 - March 2020 and I've been so lazy during this quarantine, only doing some physical work. I don't think I have lost much strength as I still look kinda fit. My numbers before quarantine: 1REP: Squat: 85KG, Bench: 75KG, DL: 110KG

    I'm thinking of maybe trying another program when the gym reopens, but I'm unsure of which to choose. I'm not a fan of SS and SL.

    I want to maximize my gains when I start working out again.

    submitted by /u/Azeus2
    [link] [comments]

    How do I gain the strength to start working out again

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 02:24 AM PDT

    I lost 40 pounds through healthy dieting and regular exercise a year ago. I then lost another 10 pounds through unhealthy dieting after I stopped working out (skipping meals, barely getting the right nutrition).

    I tried to work out again after a year and I felt EXTREMELY light headed after barely 15 minutes of cardio. I couldn't keep going and felt like I'd pass out and crashed and slept for 4 hours right after even though I got sufficient sleep earlier that day. I also almost passed out while taking a shower once and I generally have been feeling extremely weak.

    I've been scared to go back to the gym ever since, should I just push through and start working out and hope to gain endurance or should I switch to a healthier diet and wait for a few days until I feel stronger again to hit the gym??

    submitted by /u/terewton
    [link] [comments]

    How to cut without much equipment

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 01:48 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I don't have much equipment but I've been bulking for 2 months, I have 2 13.5 kg dumbells and 40 kg barbell. How do I cut and achieve hypertrophy while cutting? As I can't increase weight, do I increase reps?

    Thanks,

    submitted by /u/ICraveSleep_
    [link] [comments]

    Should I change my leg training session?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 01:39 AM PDT

    Hello, my Name is Alex M26. I started with Fitness in August 2019 and lost 38KG. My current weight is 132 and my Fitnesslevel is better now.

    My problem is, that i have very much muscles in the thighs and can lift 500kg 12 Times on the legpress. But my legs are getting thicker and thicker. Can somebody tell me how to loose some thickness and still have good muscles? Should i change my plan from 3x12 repeats to 3x20 repeats? I am still on a diet and eat 1600-1800 calories a day and primary protein.

    submitted by /u/lxndr93
    [link] [comments]

    Is it safe for me to undergo a caloric deficit to lose like 7 pounds? (15M)

    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 12:53 AM PDT

    Recently I have been trying to build some muscle mass and I have wanted to get a six-pack so I have been doing a caloric deficit. I ensure that I get the normal amount of protein and vitamins however, so the only thing that I am deficient in is calories. Will this stunt my growth or cause me to mess up my hormones?

    submitted by /u/MrSlyWalker
    [link] [comments]

    Activity Level?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 11:47 PM PDT

    Hey!

    Make, 17, 61.4kg, 187cm

    I've been looking around trying to find a good calculator for my calories to bulk up during the summer (quarantine ruined my current cut before summer, but now gyms are opened again, where I live)

    Every calculator needs a activity level for the specific person. I was wondering if anybody could come up with what my activity level is. My says are basically the same throughout the week

    I run the PPL from this reddit so I'm going to the gym for about 1 and a half hour, 6 days a week. Every morning I walk 7000-8000 steps before breakfast and I'm hitting 11-12000 steps everyday (Apple Health App Counting)

    I'm considering it as "moderately active" but I'm not quite sure. Right now I've come to the conclusion eating 2700 a day. Don't know if that's too little for a lean and slow bulk. Don't want to eat 500+ maintenance. I'm patient enough, since I have to whole summer anyways! :)

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/Ditz3n
    [link] [comments]

    Dehydration

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 11:34 PM PDT

    I've been working out for 6 days a week for about 2 months now and every so often I get dehydrated. It is kind of depressing as when I get dehydrated I feel fat and heavy. Is this normal. My belly looks like I'm pregnant and I just look huge. I eat a good diet. Yes I have a bad snack or meal once in a while. Once every 2 weeks. I am constantly eating below my daily calories. I eat lean meats, veggies, nuts, fruits. Does dehydration cause this belly problem or am I gaining fat on my belly? I work hard during my workouts which consist of plyo, weight training, and running.

    About me:

    Male

    24 years old

    147 lbs as of Friday

    5 feet 10 inches tall

    submitted by /u/gman96792
    [link] [comments]

    Running & Calisthenics?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 11:48 AM PDT

    Hello,

    Quick question: Does running build calf/leg muscles or does it just burn fat?

    I'm basically a newbie when it comes to fitness. I sat inside most of my life playing video games and eating inconsistent calories that came from pretty unhealthy foods so my muscles are very atrophied and my posture is awful.

    My calf consists of, what I feel is, nothing but fat and it's made walking awkward most of my life because it actually sways side-to-side like a wrecking ball when I walk, eck. So I'd like to see if running would build those leg muscles that have been sitting propped up on my leg-rest for as long as I can remember.

    I'd also like to gain upper body and ab muscles to fix my posture up a bit.. but I'm not sure if that's possible while I have running as a part of my exercise regime, is it?

    I'm 24 and around 150 lbs. A pretty skinny and weak guy.

    Going to be eating roughly 3,500 calories a day.

    Thanks for the help and any tips are appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Psyfi29
    [link] [comments]

    Strength Training vs Cardio?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 10:34 PM PDT

    Hello!

    I'm currently on a quarantine weight loss journey and putting all my energy into maintaining a healthy lifestyle like most of the people here who have really inspired me.

    When I first started dieting and exercising, I was super motivated and loved the results.. so I ate less than 900 calories and exercised for 2 hours everyday: 17 min stretch, warmup -> 21 min abs, glutes, arms strength workout -> stretch and take a break -> 11 min cardio aerobics/dance workout -> 30 min cardio dance workout.

    It helped me lose 9 pounds. Now, its been 2 months since I began this journey and I have been unmotivated, on a weight plateau, and have used more daily time into other things I enjoy doing.

    This has shortened my workout to an hour because I always put it off until 9pm and don't want to exercise too close to bedtime as it interferes with my sleep.

    For an unmotivated person like me who can now stick to a maximum of an hour to workout, should I do cardio or strength training to see the most weight loss results and get out of my plateau? I want to tone my body but before that I need to burn my stubborn stomach, thigh, and forearm fat.

    Sorry for the long post, any help would be appreciated :))

    submitted by /u/anonymous3531
    [link] [comments]

    How to determine calories burned when weights are added to an aerobic activity?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 08:56 PM PDT

    Assume I do a certain aerobic activity. This activity is known to burn 10 calories per minute.

    Let's say that I add 1 lb wrist weights and do the same activity. Is there a way I can calculate the calories burned?

    I do have a way to measure my heart rate, I'm assuming that perhaps there is a way to calculate it from that?

    submitted by /u/makhno
    [link] [comments]

    Better to have frequent smaller runs or less frequent longer runs?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 02:51 PM PDT

    HI all, i was wondering if theres any advantage of doing longer less frequent runs vs more frequent shorter runs. right now i avg between 3.5-4 miles at least 3-4 times a week. sometimes ill do back to back or at least every other day. any advantage to doing longer mileage runs but less frequently?

    submitted by /u/itscool83
    [link] [comments]

    If I take in the correct amount of protein everyday for what I'm trying to achieve, would this mean I can eat whatever I want to fill up the rest of the calories?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 01:55 PM PDT

    I'm 15 and want to start geing more muscly and in better shape and so far I'm just doing research in order to make sure I do everything correctly, I also made sure to read the wiki on the parts I am focusing on and I couldn't really find any answers to this on Google either.

    submitted by /u/VomPineapple
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment