• Breaking News

    Monday, June 8, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread


    Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 12:32 AM PDT

    Get your dunce hats out, Fittit, it's time for your weekly Stupid Questions Thread.

    Post your question - stupid or otherwise - here to get an answer. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer. Many questions get submitted late each week that don't get a lot of action, so if your question didn't get answered before, feel free to post it again.

    As always, be sure to read the FAQ first.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness".

    Be sure to check back often as questions get posted throughout the day. Lastly, it may be a good idea to sort comments by "new" to be sure the newer questions get some love as well. Click here to sort by new in this thread only.

    So, what's rattling around in your brain this week, Fittit?


    As per this thread, the community has asked that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Moronic Monday thread. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.

    submitted by /u/cdingo
    [link] [comments]

    How many calories do you burn working in a kitchen?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 01:23 AM PDT

    Since lockdown/furlough began, I've been carefully tracking my weight and calories for 12 weeks. I've worked out my TDEE to an accuracy of ±2% taking in to account home workouts and an otherwise sedentary lifestyle.

    Naturally I'm curious how my TDEE might change when I go back to working 40 hour weeks in a bakery kitchen with tasks including doing dishes, carrying flour bags and being on my feet all shift. TDEE calculators either assume you work in an office or in construction with nothing in-between. The best way is to continue tracking and find out for myself, yes, but I'm interested in hearing your numbers.

    submitted by /u/pythasaurus
    [link] [comments]

    Being tall and getting results?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 02:29 AM PDT

    Hello, I was wondering if working out and seeing results as a tall person would be significantly slower than a person with an average height. I'm 6'4 and I have friends who are 5'7 - 6'0 who started working out the same time I did. However, I noticed that they have way bigger gains when compared to mine. Could it be my genetics or does my height play an important factor in this? It's pretty demotivating to see some of your friends get better results than you when you're the one who began helping them out with lifting/nutrition. Did anyone else go through a similar experience?

    submitted by /u/Z_Gunner
    [link] [comments]

    40+ days of exercise and not a single gram lost

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 04:07 AM PDT

    Hi everyone. First some data:

    Gender: Male

    Age: 34

    Height: 1.70m

    Weight: 76.5Kg

    I've been a bit overweight the last few years mostly caused by a very sedentary life and I thought it was time to change. I've been following this program https://darebee.com/programs/hero-journey.html with some friends reporting everyday and having some interaction during quarantine. As my main focus was general fitness and weight lost I choose rope as my "weapon" to do some cardio. My numbers have increased (repetitions to failure, sets, time...) and I found myself stronger overall BUT I haven't lost any weight whatsoever. I try to weight myself every monday as soon as I wake up. There has been of course slight variance but I mantain my 76.5Kg ish and I'm a bit depressed to be honest. I changed from not doing any exercise to give my best every single day, no cheat days.

    As diet concerns, as my plan is to change my life habits for the long term I'm not under any restrictive diet. Having said that I only have 2 meals a day, lunch and dinner. Dinner is always light (salad, scrumble eggs and the sort) and lunch is one dish course trying to eat as healthy as possible but as a normal person, so for example yesterday I cook a delicious pasta with ragú and pesto. I only drink water and the ocassional consumption of alcohol (wine/beer), no sodas and shit. Try to avoid any processed food and excesive sugar, but I eat a little amount of ice-cream from time to time.

    All in all, I know I could go into a strict diet to try to lose more weight but I know for a fact that I don't want to spend my whole life dieting, so I focused on a more healthy/fitness apporach. I can't understand why I'm not losing weight. I know I'm building muscle and that can compensate for a certain weight lost but not evena a single gram in 40 days? I started to think maybe I have a metabolism problem.

    If you have any constructive opinion or advice it'd me more than welcomed. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Schrodinger85
    [link] [comments]

    My entire perspective on exercise has changed

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 03:38 AM PDT

    I've had a really strange relationship with exercise my entire life. When I was a young kid I never enjoyed any sports and I rarely enjoyed PE class. I started to gain weight quite substantially throughout my teens, becoming 295lbs by the time I was 18. This resulted in me having a lot of self confidence and body issues which made me exercise even less.

    When I started losing weight last year I joined a gym and did start visiting frequently and consistently but my actual workout was all over the place. I had so much anxiety around using equipment, waiting for other people or doing body weight exercises. I honestly started to hate it so I stopped going.

    However over the last month I picked up the dumbbells I bought for myself when I was about 15, planned a workout and a schedule and have been doing it consistently since. I've got myself a jogs mat, an exercise bike and a pull up bar now too so I can throw more variety into the mix.

    I've only been on this plan for about a month but I'm already feeling much better. Combine this with hitting my goal weight of 175lbs, I'm hoping by this time next year I will be much more fit and have a much better physique!

    submitted by /u/chrisd848
    [link] [comments]

    How do you deal with distorted body image ?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 04:12 AM PDT

    You know some day you look in the mirror and feel massive, then the next day you feel skinny or fat or strong or weak or wathever. and those inconsistencies of your body reflection makes it nearly impossible to correctly adapt your routine to responds to your needs.
    What are your tips and tricks to get a reflection of your body that is as close as possible to truth ?

    Sorry for the broken english, i'm still learning.

    submitted by /u/MrGims
    [link] [comments]

    If I do an hour of strength training with 5-10 minutes rest in between sets, does this count as an hour of exercise?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 03:55 AM PDT

    I mean in the context of meeting the recommended weekly amount of exercise. I can see how this would apply to things like cardio, aerobics and circuit training where you're constantly moving, but for strength training you spend 90% of your time just resting.

    submitted by /u/anon_1349
    [link] [comments]

    I started my heavy bag workout routine.

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 03:36 AM PDT

    I just put up my punching bag and I am starting a workout routine on it. For the last week I've just sort of hit the bag some to pass time, and to build my tolerance to hitting it. However, today I did my first set (?) of reps and hit the bag a total of 400 times today and I feel good. I am not super accustomed to fixed workout routines (I usually just run a bit, try to break my max push-ups and plank a little bit.)
    I did not make this routine rather I am trying it out.
    Edit: I think I'm going to do it 2 or maybe 3 times a week. My primary goal is to introduce a more interesting cardio routine as well as written on strengthening muscles
    Here's the routine I use:

    50X Left-handed jabs (30 second rest)
    50X Left-handed double-jabs (30 second rest)
    50X Right-handed straights (30 second rest)
    50X Left-handed low hooks (30 second rest)
    50X Right-handed low hooks (30 second rest)
    50X Left-handed high hooks (30 second rest)
    50X Right-handed high hooks

    The original routine calls for 100 reps per set (?? I don't know the lingo well but I'm trying), but part way through I started to notice that I'm just not there yet and revised it on the fly.

    TL;DR: I'm a novice in fitness and just started on the punching bag.

    I would love to get some input as well as to hear your own personal experiences with a heavy bag exercise routine.

    submitted by /u/the_legitbacon
    [link] [comments]

    Can you drink all your water at once?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 03:30 AM PDT

    Let's say you have to drink 2L of water a day, if you drank that 2L in the morning would you just pee it out and be dehydrated again by evening time? Or does it work like calories?

    submitted by /u/ethzvn
    [link] [comments]

    Learning the muscle up

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 09:01 PM PDT

    I'm trying to get my first muscle up. Currently I'm practicing weighted pull up, straight bar dips and hanging knee raise.

    Is it more efficient to practice the muscle up movement itself or work on getting better at weighted pull up, dips and knee raise? I don't have the stamina to do both in the same workout.

    submitted by /u/stoney93922
    [link] [comments]

    PT Course Experience, Part Time PT viability

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 11:47 PM PDT

    Anyone from the UK done the L2+L3 PT Diploma?

    Looking into doing it myself but would be good to get others experiences of it before I take the plunge.

    On a side note, does anyone know of many gyms that offer pay as you go contracts to PTs? I want to be a PT part time so monthly costs or 20 hours free service contracts wouldn't work for me as I already have a 40 hour working week.

    Sorry if this isn't appropriate but thought /r/fitness would be ideal to chime in on this topic

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/umirinbrah29
    [link] [comments]

    Physique Phriday

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Physique Phriday thread

    What's the point of having people guess your body fat? Nevermind that it's the most inaccurate method available, (read: most likely way wrong - see here) you're still just putting an arbitrary number to the body you have. Despite people's claim that they are shooting for a number, they're really shooting for look - like a six pack.

    So let's stopping mucking around with trivialities and get to the heart of the matter. This thread shall serve two purposes:

    1. Physique critiques. Post some pics and ask about muscles or body parts you need to work on. Or specifically ask about a lagging body part and what exercises worked for others.
    2. An outlet for people that want to show off their efforts that would otherwise be removed due to Rule 4, and

    Let's keep things civil, don't be a creep, and adhere to Rule 1. This isn't a thread to announce what you find attractive in a mate. Please use the report function for any comments that are out of line.

    So phittit, what's your physique pheel like this phriday?

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 05, 2020

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment