• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 24, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 24, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 24, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 24, 2020

    Posted: 24 Jun 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Should I keep my ankle weights?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 03:25 PM PDT

    After I bought a pair of ankle/wrist weights (2.3kg each) a few days ago my sister told me they were bad for long term use and could effect joints and etc. I used them once yesterday while doing a home workout, attached them to my wrists for extra weight during squats (also used 3kg dumbbells) and can definitely say they're helpful. But should I return them? I feel like they might have a bad impact on my wrists/arms.

    submitted by /u/masturbathe
    [link] [comments]

    Rant Wednesday

    Posted: 24 Jun 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to Rant Wednesday: It's your time to let your gym/fitness/nutrition related frustrations out!

    There is no guiding question to help stir up some rage-feels, feel free to fire at will, ranting about anything and everything that's been pissing you off or getting on your nerves!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    How bad does a cheat meal set me back?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2020 03:54 AM PDT

    So I'm at a normal weight but just cutting for the summer. Lost about 8kg so far.

    I'm 5ft 9 18 Male 80KG

    I'm eating 1700 calories a day with about 1hr 30min of exercise cardio 5 times a week. Now for my cheat day I was thinking of eating 2100 calories instead of 1700 calories a day but on that cheat day instead of 1hr 30min of exercise I'll increase it to 2hrs 30min of Cardio exercise.

    Will it still greatly affect progress?

    submitted by /u/LineSpectrum
    [link] [comments]

    Foam Rolling and muscle twitching

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 10:42 PM PDT

    So whenever I foam roll I tend to find the most tender spots and usually switch to a lacrosse ball to try to get deeper into those spots. Whenever I do I can feel the muscles begin to twitch when I do. It is not painful, but I was just wondering what is happening and if this is just the muscle relaxing?

    More specifically I do this on my right shoulder which I can feel is definitely tighter than my left. Whenever I do this for a prolonged period I can feel my ROM increase, but it becomes extremely weak for a day like even lifting my arm becomes difficult but there is no pain?

    submitted by /u/SlipperySalamander11
    [link] [comments]

    My tummy is really firm and I'm not really sure what is beneath it

    Posted: 24 Jun 2020 03:43 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I. 25 yo male, my height is 185 cm, and as of today I weigh 75 KG . My physique can be seen as skinny fat.

    The thing that I don't understand is my belly is really firm. When I tab it, it doesn't flab like typical skinny fat.

    My overall body is mostly lean, except my tummy.

    I have examined other skinny fat, they usually flab aroun and feels like water. But mine is really firm.

    I don't do weigh training anymore (last time was 9 months ago).

    Anyone have any idea what may be beneath by belly?

    I tried to google but none came up good.

    submitted by /u/flock1316
    [link] [comments]

    Running and Resting

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 05:25 PM PDT

    Hey friends,

    In an effort to get into running, I began doing it daily. No excuses. I figured if the old adage was true, that doing it for 20-30 days in a row (or whatever it is), would make it a habit.

    I've now run at least 2 miles for 40 days in a row. The most I'll do is 4 miles. But I generally land somewhere between 2-3 miles a day.Now that it's become a habit, I feel like I'm ready to maybe dial it back just a hair. My legs are definitely really tired and could use a rest!Curious what more experienced runners consider a good schedule. Running 5 out of 7 days a week? What do you do during your rest days (if anything)? Do you rest for 2 days in a row? 1 day here and there? Or, is it in fact okay to run daily, and I just need to work up to that level of endurance?I can just tell my legs are begging for a day off, and I'm also worried about injury if I continue to proceed at this daily pace.But other than the fatigued legs, I feel great and am starting to get addicted to the "runner's high", as it were. Would prefer not to take days off at all! But I figure there must be a balance if this is to continue as a lifestyle.

    Thanks for any tips/advice!

    Edit: Not sure if it matters, but I am a 28 year old male. In fairly decent shape, but about 15-20 pounds overweight.

    submitted by /u/mdoes420
    [link] [comments]

    Meal Sizes and Total Calories

    Posted: 24 Jun 2020 02:55 AM PDT

    Hi Guys,

    Im currently 25 years old, 162cm and 81kg.

    I am planning on doing a weight loss kick before going back to regular resistance training.

    Currently I am eating roughly 1200 calories per day (300 breakfast, 300 lunch and 600 dinner), drinking 2 litres of water and doing 5 F45 classes per week.

    I am not too knowledgable when it comes to nutrition and diet and have tried a few different approaches but this one feels good so far.

    I just wanted to know other peoples thoughts on this plan and if there is anything they would do differently?

    thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/Jimbo_Sanchez
    [link] [comments]

    I ruptured my eardrum and I am wondering if it is safe to exercise (what way is the safest)

    Posted: 24 Jun 2020 04:51 AM PDT

    Hello! This is my first post here, and I'm not sure if it's the right place to ask but I'm gonna shoot my shot. Also sorry for formatting, I'm on mobile. English is also my second langue, so I'm sorry if there are any mistakes.

    So ruptured my eardrum yesterday because I dived too far underwater, it was a stupid mistake and I'm currently waiting for it to heal on its own with some prescription ear drops. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried this, or know whether/when it's safe for me to workout again. Or if anyone knows any specific exercises that are safe/not safe to do?

    submitted by /u/ttassse
    [link] [comments]

    How do you actually hook grip ?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 04:36 PM PDT

    Hi, I've been trying to hook grip for deadlifts, and honestly I can't figure out how people do it. My thumbs are jacked. I can do it pretty comfortably for low weights, and I've looked up 'painless hook grip' instruction videos (pressure on the meaty part of your thumb) but I cant get used to it. Is it a matter of 'toughen up' or is there something I'm missing ? I've also got really small hands, if that impacts anything If anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it Cheers

    submitted by /u/senditbroo
    [link] [comments]

    Coming back to the gym after lockdown - Routine to get back on track

    Posted: 24 Jun 2020 03:05 AM PDT

    24M, 185CM, 87KG.

    I've been training for 9 years now. My maxes always sucked tbh and i would like to make change about it. During lockdown I lost 3kg's and I plan to lose more, however, I'd like to gain some strength in the process. I think it's possible because i didn't train for a while and I'll just recover. For example, my Squats went down from 120KG ORM to 90KG ORM.

    Which routine should i choose to push myself? I'd like to focus mainly on legs. I thought about Deep Water. I'm not sure if it's not too much of a fatigue while not being on a surplus. Stronglifts is an option too.

    submitted by /u/Vela102
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on rounding back on ab wheel? More activation?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 04:18 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I wanted the community's opinion on a recent youtube video I watched ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OGs1AbO3ts). Essentially, what this guy is saying is it's recommended to round your back when doing an ab wheel. I had always thought that rounding your back on any exercise could be dangerous. Is there something I am missing here?

    submitted by /u/0010000100111111
    [link] [comments]

    Miscalculation of calories!!

    Posted: 24 Jun 2020 02:26 AM PDT

    For the past two months I had been doing frequent workouts of every muscle group on the "Nike training club" app.obviosuly due to quarantine.

    A phenomenon I struck across was miscalculation of calories.the NTC app shows a few calories but the calories shown on the GOOGLE fit are way more.

    FOR EXAMPLE:- a workout known as "CORE COUNTDOWN" UPON COMPLETION on the NIKE TRAINING APP would show 70 calories.,whereas THE GOOGLE FIT app would show around 330 calories which I feel is a lot more.

    Ppl I would want to know why does this occur and which calculation should I actually consider,(NTC app or GOOGLE FIT)

    submitted by /u/Familiar-Eye
    [link] [comments]

    Is it unsafe to bench press without hooking your thumb for your grip?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2020 02:20 AM PDT

    Basically I hyperextended my thumb a few weeks back. It's healing, but when I started benching, when i use a standard grip, it hurts. If i don't grip with my thumb, and let the bar rest mainly on my lower palm, there's no pain.... But i feel this grip might be unsafe. I'm not pushing high weight

    submitted by /u/NewbutOld8
    [link] [comments]

    Not sure if I should start eating less or working out more?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2020 02:05 AM PDT

    23 male 6 foot

    So basically I have always been underweight I think - last year I was around 130/140, maybbbbee 150 but I don't think so.

    I would post pictures but I don't have an imgur and it's too much work so I'll just say I am a slender lanky kind of build, and I was determined to gain some weight because my arms were just so skinny like twigs. I spent a good year eating a lot of junk , I did delivery for a few restaraunts and ate a lot of pizza and Chinese, had a lot of peanut butter jelly sandwiches, just wanted to gain weight. Now I will say for years, for the life of me I could just not gain weight. Now however I forced myself to eat a lot more than I was used to, and I guess slowly my stomach had a bigger appetite. Now fast forward a year later; I think I gained 20 /30 pounds. I am either 160 or 170 now.

    Now I notice my body looks a bit more full, and rounded, I can no longer see my ribcage as much. The problem is , I am starting to have a bit of a little belly /pouch , nothing crazy like a gut, but it's definitely noticeable and while my arms look a bit more healthy, I feel like my stomach sticks out in a weird kind of way, and when I go to tuck in my shirts , there's a little bit of seepage of my belly that kind of shows which I don't like.

    I really don't care about having a toned nice body, I just want to have a flat stomach so I can tuck in my shirts without having to wear high waisted pants because of my belly being noticeable. Again, most people ive told have said it's nothing, but I notice it for sure, and fashion is important for me and I miss the flat stomach.

    Do I just need to up my waist size, and maybe my stomach poking out is more prominent because I've outgrown my waist? Or should I start eating less? Or should I eat the same and just work out my abs and core to tighten my stomach?

    I've been eating healthier the past few months -avocados, rice, salmon, pork, but I know I have cheese and potatoes and and still indulge sometimes - last night I had 5 grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner (just cheese and bread)

    I don't know what I am asking other than how can I lose my stomach without having to get too strict with my eating? ( my brother is doing intermittent and plant based, but he's so cranky all the time and honestly that's not for me I love food too much)

    submitted by /u/penguinchange
    [link] [comments]

    Is pilates an effective way to tone up?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2020 12:51 AM PDT

    For the past 4 months I've (17F) been working out everyday and I have done many workouts programs from yt since gyms are not available. I have results but they are small and come slowly. I've been told that pilates are a nice and a great way to tone your body. And I found a new program on yt 30mins per workout 7 times a week. Opinions?

    submitted by /u/happycoconut05
    [link] [comments]

    Does it matter which time of the day i walk my 10k?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 10:46 PM PDT

    Heyo!

    Was wondering, (since i couldn't find any information on the internet), if the 10k steps I'm walking everyday needs to be done mostly at once, (mayB 5k in the morning and 5k in the evening) or if i just cna go on with my day and then walk the remaining steps before i go to bed? Will it make a difference in calorie expenditure or?

    :)

    submitted by /u/Ditz3n
    [link] [comments]

    I Missed a lift

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 10:44 PM PDT

    So if I was busy for a day and I missed a lift. Should I skip the planned day or should I try to push the rest of lifts back to make it up? The routine I'm trying to get into is Push Pull Legs Push Pull Legs Rest. I'm committed and consistent with this typically, but this was the one time. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/lust_issues
    [link] [comments]

    Ring Widths

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 03:39 PM PDT

    Hello, looking to buy rings, there are options with different width of the ring itself, like 1.1-1.26 inches (as in the same company is offering different sizes), does it really make a difference for exercises or it's just based on how big your hands are? just not sure what to go for. I am mostly going to be using it for chinups/pull ups (need wrist flexibility), ring rollouts, and evantually RTO Pushups and dips

    submitted by /u/Juluns
    [link] [comments]

    Should i (17F) lose more weight (56kg,171cm)?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2020 12:56 AM PDT

    i've lost a ton of weight for the last couple of months and my body now looks how i wanted to be but when i was looking at my back profile i noticed that i had lower back fat,,, any tips on how to lose this? i know i can't target a specific area to lose the weight on but if i lost more weight ill be considered underweight

    my back profile

    submitted by /u/okokookkkkkk
    [link] [comments]

    Should I lose more weight?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2020 12:54 AM PDT

    I'm a female, 17y/o, 56 kilos, 171cm

    i've lost a ton of weight for the last couple of months and my body now looks how i wanted to be but when i was looking at my back profile i noticed that i had lower back fat,,, any tips on how to lose this? i know i can't target a specific area to lose the weight on but if i lost more weight ill be considered underweight

    my back profile

    submitted by /u/okokookkkkkk
    [link] [comments]

    What muscles should I workout to make my hips looks look smaller?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 03:14 PM PDT

    I think I have naturally wide hip bones. What should I workout to make them have a more even appearance on my body?

    submitted by /u/Extriker
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment