• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 23, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 23, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 23, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 23, 2020

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need a “rest cycle” before I switch programs ?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 09:35 PM PDT

    Thanks in advance for any help anyone lends! I've been doing StrongLifts 5x5 since April and I haven't missed a workout. I've made great progress (in my opinion) but linear progression has slowed. All numbers below are 5x5. After my first reload, I was able to surpass my squat to 255 and row to 145, but my deadlift seems to have stalled out at 255 as well and I haven't recouped all of my bench and OHP weight yet. While I don't feel muscle exhaustion all the time, I suspect I've reached the end of the efficiency of the stronglifts 5x5 program. I'd like to focus more on my bench, dead and OHP. I think I need a more structured program. I've been considering nSuns but welcome any other suggestions. Do I need a "deload" period before I start a new program?

    submitted by /u/juntao215
    [link] [comments]

    Why am I not getting the same results as many months ago?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 10:19 PM PDT

    So about 9 months ago I cycled every morning 10km. I did this regime for about 2-3 months before I moved onto more intense strength training. In the first 2 months I saw a significant drop in bodyfat % (7.6%) and muscle gain. I was also doing strength conditioning alongside however.

    Now though, I have been cycling 50km every day. I have gained about 3% bodyfat since my significant loss, but for the past 2 weeks I have seen nothing. No results bodyfat wise, I still measure the same. With a much, much more intense regime I am seeing close to no results. I am not working out my upper body due to a broken wrist, however I believe my cardio should offset the calories not burned.

    submitted by /u/FrozenClorox
    [link] [comments]

    Running/HIIT

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 12:21 AM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    So I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on running and HIIT. I am moving to a new house in about a week, and as the weather has also gotten much nicer I have decided I want to start alternating between runs and HIIT workouts every day.

    My fitness goal's are more basketball oriented so I was hoping both of these could help increase my endurance as well as my overall quickness. I plan on increasing the distance on the runs as time goes by, as well as resistance on the HIIT workouts through the use of parachutes as well as weighted vests (please let me know your opinions or past experience with these).

    So overall, as the gyms are still closed, my plan was to alternate between runs and HIIT's daily, and then in addition do bodyweight and resistance band workouts about 5 days a week.

    I am brand new to long distance running as well as HIIT so let me know if I am trying to overextend myself by doing bodyweight/resistance band workouts on the same days, and if I should spread them out on different days instead.

    Please let me know your thoughts on this, as well as any tips or suggestions you may have.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/abidk1211
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone here tried the Ultimate Diet 2.0 for a lean bulk? How did it go? Would you do it again?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 04:52 AM PDT

    Lyle McDonald mentioned it here and there online that it could, jut wondering if anyone tried it and how it worked?

    submitted by /u/mayermail1977
    [link] [comments]

    Garmin Fenix 5 and mapping / navigation for running

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 04:44 AM PDT

    HI all,

    I may be able to get a cheap Fenix 5 off a mate. I want to use it to build maps for off-road runs that i can follow on the run.

    I've been looking through interwebz and see you can upload courses etc to a fenix 5, but how good is the map that comes with the watch? is it easy/clear enough to follow for navigation? or do i need to buy a map add-on?

    i know old garmin edge bike computers basically gave no map detail and you just had to follow a line on the screen - is this the same with a fenix 5, or do you see proper topological features on their maps?

    submitted by /u/CimJotton
    [link] [comments]

    One bowl, microwave only quick protein meal/snack

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 04:42 AM PDT

    This is something other than protein shakes that you can have in between your meals to supplement your protein intake.

    Ingredients: 2 eggs, a handful of red lentils (not the most nutritious kind but it's the easiest to cook), a dash of milk (optional), seasoning (optional)

    1. Add the lentils to the bowl. Add enough water to cover.
    2. Microwave for 2 minutes until lentils are in a half-cooked state. Drain as much water as you can.
    3. Beat 2 eggs and a dash of milk into the same bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes.
    4. Scramble the finished product. Season to taste.

    Recipe concocted by me during a ponderous moment with the pantry door open.

    submitted by /u/JBlakd
    [link] [comments]

    How much protein do I ACTUALLY need to cut?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 12:55 AM PDT

    Hi all, I've seen this asked around before, tried to google different sources, but unable to find a definitive answer.

    I'm a 180cm tall 19 year old active male (6 days at the gym, 2 hours at a time), and I just finished bulking to 81kg.

    I plan on cutting down to a more manageable low-mid 70kg range, and I'm trying to track my macros better, but I've found varying consensus online on the range of protein I'd need. I know I need more protein than when I bulked, but I've found varying sources from the 0.85ish gram protein per lb body weight, 1 gram protein per lb body weight (which was argued against as too much a lot), as well as the tdee calculator (https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=metric&g=male&age=19&kg=81&cm=180&act=1.725&f=1) which is telling me I need a whopping 201g (!) protein per day.

    What do I do? I'm afraid to be under the right amount, so I'm currently trying 201g, but it's a lot and hard to disperse evenly throughout the day.

    Any input appreciated, thank you all!

    submitted by /u/kangdashian
    [link] [comments]

    5x5 Stronglifts

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 03:42 AM PDT

    Hey guys, i'm fairly new to lifting and i've been thinking about giving the 5x5 app a go as i've only ever heard good things about it, to be honest with you all i really want to do is get bigger and i was wondering if this app was going to help me achieve this and if not if anyone has any good apps that will help me track weight and tell me what to do ect! cheers guys

    submitted by /u/jbans2x
    [link] [comments]

    At what point does pushing through it become unhealthy, and taking a break is okay?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 02:50 AM PDT

    Hey all, first time posting here. 24m, 6'3", 235. chonk

    Backstory: I've been working out regularly for the first time in my life since early may, and it's been a fantastic time so far. I'm loving the results for sure.

    Of course, the first few weeks were pretty hell-ish but I definitely got a great routine - 30 min cardio every day, then bodyweight training 3 days on, one day off. It's been working well - occasionally i take an extra day off of the bodyweight stuff (and those days i do extra stretching) but it works for me, so I'm stoked.

    Problem: As I've been getting stronger, I've been pushing myself a bit more. Saturday I had a gig involving lifting lots of heavy audio gear for hours, and I am SO SORE.

    How do I properly utilize rest days? More importantly, where is the line separating "good struggle" and "pushing too hard"? I don't want to get sore to where I can't workout at all.

    Any advice is awesome. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Firebird1282
    [link] [comments]

    I’m wondering if anyone can help explain why I feel like I have a hard time working out.

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 02:10 AM PDT

    So I've just recently started trying to get myself into shape. I've probably been to the gym a total of 5 times in the past 18 months, so I understand that this could be just because I'm out of shape. But even when I had weights class in school and I was lifting a little more consistently, I still had this problem. Whenever I'm getting reps in and I start to get tired, it feels like I can do my last full rep fairly easily, and then right after that I just hit a wall. The next two feels physically impossible to finish, and I have to rest even if I didn't get all my reps. Is this something that will change if I stay more consistent? Am I not breathing correctly? Could it have something to do with my diet or blood flow? If anyone had an answer for me you would help me immensely. Thanks if you read this far, have a good day.

    submitted by /u/LobsterKiing
    [link] [comments]

    Resistant bands

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 01:55 AM PDT

    From the start. I workout using 2 dumbbells 15 kg - 20 kg each (weight depends on the excessive). I'm going for a 2 week vacation and not gonna be able to take that dumbbells with me, but I don't want to stop workout for 2 weeks. What type of bands should I buy to continue my training during vacation, without losing strength or muscle mass? Should I buy 2 resistant bands 15kg - 20kg resistance and keep my workout routine as I'm doing with my dumbbells? Or this is gonna recalculate differently while using bands, and maybe I need bands with less weight resistance?

    submitted by /u/Wraithlor
    [link] [comments]

    How long should I hold a plank for every day?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 01:42 AM PDT

    I've been doing planks before bed every night now and I still have no idea how long I should be doing them. I do them in bursts of 4, 1:30 long each time. Is this enough or should I do longer? I usually undergo heavy stress but I think fitness is about pushing through the stress right?

    submitted by /u/Master00J
    [link] [comments]

    Tight Tibialis Anterior during squat

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 01:14 AM PDT

    I am getting serious about getting in shape and Im on PPL routine. I have already done my first week but during squat I have to use some kind of plate under my ankle or else I cannot sqat low enough. I have looked it up and it comes down to ankle mobility and some suggest stretching and rolling out calf muscles. But for me I feel extreme tightness on my front outer shin muscle. Is this the same as ankle mobility? Any suggestions are nice

    submitted by /u/Thosewholost
    [link] [comments]

    What are your opinions on zigzag dieting?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 12:50 AM PDT

    I just heard about zigzag dieting and i wanted to try it out, but i want to hear people's experiences from it, and also do you guys have any tips along the way? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/sparkly-cheesecake
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment