• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 3, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 03, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 03, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 03, 2020

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    How different is advice from a good fitness coach compared to information you can find on good fitness websites?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 09:47 PM PDT

    Basically, what I'm wongdering is if you compare the advice a good fitness coach can give compared to good fitness articles or reddit threads, is the good coach able to offer good advice that you can't find on the web? I can kind of see it when it comes to monitoring your performance and suggesting changes to your fitness program based on what he's noticing is or isn't working for you. Other than though, there's also advice they can give on form and people paying him to read about fitness for them but that's all I can think of at the moment. I'm also not trying to bash coaches by the way. I'm just curious about what the good ones can actually do.

    submitted by /u/Jack114
    [link] [comments]

    Effects of not working out for three months?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 10:17 PM PDT

    I have not been able to work out in three months because of quarantine. In addition to this, I have barely been doing any cardio & eating like shit because I am stupid. What should I expect when I return to the gym? Will I have lost a lot of muscle? What is the best way to get back into it? I would love some advice, thanks!

    submitted by /u/jobeman123
    [link] [comments]

    After advice on dumbbell workout

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 10:03 PM PDT

    Hello everyone, first time poster just after some advice. I live a fair distance from any gym, so I've been trying to follow a routine at home using what I have. It's not much, but I have a set of Dumbbells, a bench press which has some form of attachment for your legs on the end and a treadmill.

    I've working out six days a week, running 1k on the treadmill and using the bench press. I'm mostly after advice/opinion regarding the dumbbell workout I found and have been following, I'll link it below.

    https://www.coachmag.co.uk/fitness/workouts/dumbbell-workouts

    I've been using this dumbbell workout plan mostly just as a guide for the exercises and not following the tempo it describes and just following it at my own speed.

    My big issue is that I'm having trouble completing anything with a push-up type motion. I just don't have the strength to lift my body weight when my arms are even slightly fatigued. Is there any alternative I can use at home to replace these exercises?

    I'm also having issues completely the lunge, I have a knee issue and find it difficult to complete a full 90degree bend and I don't think any amount of effort or repetition will help, is there something I can replace it with that will work the same muscles?

    I'm also after just a general opinion on the workout plan and whether you think I can add anything on top of it that would help me.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Deafmetalman
    [link] [comments]

    Should I do isolation exercises as a 15 year old?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 04:12 PM PDT

    I'm not new to lifting but I know that I should be focusing on compound lifts and I have been but would isolation exercises benefit me at all or should I just stick with compound movements? I built some good strength and mind to muscle already.

    submitted by /u/Scrub-papa
    [link] [comments]

    Rant Wednesday

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to Rant Wednesday: It's your time to let your gym/fitness/nutrition related frustrations out!

    There is no guiding question to help stir up some rage-feels, feel free to fire at will, ranting about anything and everything that's been pissing you off or getting on your nerves!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Preparing for 5 day hike

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 04:36 PM PDT

    Hey everyone!

    I have never been a very fit person- I'm am a 24 year old female and although Im thin, Im extremely out of shape. I've never been athletic. I really enjoy being outdoors and hiking though. In the middle of July myself and two of my male friends are going on a 5 day hike on the ACT. They are both extremely fit and want to average roughly 10 miles a day. They know my level of fitness and are okay with slowing the pace for me.

    I want to be in my best shape for this trip so I'm trying to get in the best shape I can be in so I don't slow them down too much. I wanted to know what I should be doing.

    For the past two week I've been riding my bike about every other day. I average about 7-11 miles at 10 mph. It's been good- my thighs get super sore quick and I occasionally get a bit dizzy towards the end but I can always make it home.

    I absolutely don't like running but I will do it if you guys think it's necessary. I'm not worried about walking for long periods of time on the trail- I can walk forever. I'm mostly worried about the elevation and wearing myself out going uphill.

    What would you guys do to prepare if you were me?

    submitted by /u/late___bloomer
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to miss out on noob gains?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 03:45 AM PDT

    I started lifting last year, stuck at it until December then went abroad for a few months not doing much/any exercise until I returned this April, having lost around 23lbs and with it plenty of strength.

    My question is am I back to square one with noob gains because my muscle mass is back to square one? Or is the time I gained noob gains "used up" in a way?

    Let's say the first 12 months of lifting is when you see the most noob gains, does that mean if you lift for 12 months then lose all that muscle, then lift for another 12 months it would be much more difficult to gain muscle or would you ALWAYS have those 12 months of noob gains no matter how many times you did this?

    submitted by /u/billylones
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a secret trick to get the lower chest going?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 03:09 AM PDT

    I am doing decline dumbbell presses and (slightly tilted) dips regularly but I don't really see a lot of improvement.

    My chest in general is already bulky I would say, but it needs the lower chest muscle to grow in order to look good.

    submitted by /u/xGundhi
    [link] [comments]

    Weak Conventional Deadlift

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 02:54 AM PDT

    I'm 16 years old and weigh 69kg and I've been training for 2 years.

    Recently I switched from sumo deadlifts to conventional because I thought it would be smart to train it since I have not done it consistently in 2 years. I've also been stuck on sumo progress wise and I particularly struggle at the middle of the lift around mid-shin level.

    My max in sumo is 170kg and once I switched to conventional i could barely do 140 for 3 reps and when i tried doing it of blocks i couldnt even do 1.

    Should i start deadlifting conventional of blocks cause i think this will strengthen my weakpoints.

    What can i do help : (

    submitted by /u/xxdennismcxx
    [link] [comments]

    Good quad exercises for weak leg?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 02:48 AM PDT

    About a year and a half ago I injured my right knee really badly in basketball. I had to get my mcl repaired and two screws through my knee cap. My muscle atrophied and got really weak.

    My left leg/quad area is really weak and it really affects how I run and play sports. I would like to take the summer to build my muscle up. I had PT but those exercises can only take me so far. Are there any exercises where I can nips quad muscle while having one leg weaker than other? Thank you

    submitted by /u/leobatt123
    [link] [comments]

    All types of cardio the same?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 04:35 PM PDT

    Hope this is the right place to ask this. I've started doing ~40 minutes of cardio each morning which consists of ~15-20 minutes each jogging and jump roping. I'm planning to ramp up the length of each, just want to form the habits first. However over the last week I've realized I hate running and am considering just doing ~40 minutes of jump roping instead. I'm wondering, is there any benefits of jogging that I don't get from jump roping? And if not, is jump roping by itself good enough cardio?

    submitted by /u/porkycloset
    [link] [comments]

    Should now be the time I should be starting a new routine?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 09:20 PM PDT

    With the 2 month absence I had from the gyms due to them being closed, I was just wondering if now would be a good time to fully invest myself into a new workout regime, such as push, pull legs or just doing 5x5

    I have a bigger cardio focus with at least incorporating 10-20 mins in every hour session.

    submitted by /u/Randall-Harper
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need to switch up my training regimen to lose remaining fat?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 11:54 PM PDT

    Hey all, I've let myself go the past year, so I decided around 2 months ago to change that. Been counting calories, intermittent fasting , and lifting 5 days a week, and doing aerob exercises on 2 days. Now, it's exam season and I'm in uni, so I haven't been keeping the 5 days consistently, but I aim to get at least 4 in. I lost 20 pounds so far, and I only have about 4 left to reach my goal, but the scale just stays the same. What can I change up to help?

    submitted by /u/DerpyChop
    [link] [comments]

    Long distance kettle bell farmers walks?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 11:34 PM PDT

    I heard Joe Rogan once mention a strange way of doing Farmer's walks, he mentioned doing them with one heavy kettlebell in one hand, and going a fairly long distance with it (I think he said one mile) before switching hands and going back. This sounds strange to me, but it caught my mind when looking into purchasing a kettle bell for my home training. I have also seen people do large deficit deadlifts (as high as 1-2 feet) with one heavy kettle bell. Are these viable at all? How efficient are these for gains?

    I also would like to ask if I am looking at plyo boxes for the soul purpose of belt squats and deficit push ups with my feet on a bench, how tall of boxes should I grab? (I'm 5'10 if that makes a difference) and is there any thing I can do to get a good deal. Thanks guys!

    submitted by /u/xX_G0D_Xx
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about whey protein

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 12:16 AM PDT

    So i'm a young high schooler. I'm trying to gain muscle and i ordered a 2 pound optimum nutrition gold standard chocolate mint flavored whey protein on amazon. My question is, how much should i drink? How often and when? Also can someone explain to me the whole gist of whey protein ? I see people talk about sweeteners and stuff. What exactly is whey protein and why is it so good for protein?

    submitted by /u/Asier559
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment