• Breaking News

    Monday, April 27, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread


    Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 01:00 AM PDT

    Get your dunce hats out, Fittit, it's time for your weekly Stupid Questions Thread.

    Post your question - stupid or otherwise - here to get an answer. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer. Many questions get submitted late each week that don't get a lot of action, so if your question didn't get answered before, feel free to post it again.

    As always, be sure to read the FAQ first.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness".

    Be sure to check back often as questions get posted throughout the day. Lastly, it may be a good idea to sort comments by "new" to be sure the newer questions get some love as well. Click here to sort by new in this thread only.

    So, what's rattling around in your brain this week, Fittit?


    As per this thread, the community has asked that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Moronic Monday thread. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.

    submitted by /u/cdingo
    [link] [comments]

    Is it ok to break down a 5k run in 2x2.5 or a 3k and a 2k?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2020 10:34 AM PDT

    21m 180cm and 72kg, throughout my life i used to play tennis competitively, and use to train track and overall fitness for this, so i used to do hiit, pyramid runs, and 1k runs, along with shorter distances (from 50 to 400m runs).

    Lately iv developed a few allergies since moving abroad which sometimes make breathing through my nose hard, which doesnt bother me too much, but they are annoying some times.

    I started running to help me achieve a caloric deficit in quarantine, and at first i ran 5k but i kept getting side stitches. My time wasnt that bad but in honesty i never ran such distances and it was very weird to me (first 2-3k smooth af, but then it gets bad).

    Would it be equally good for my cardio and breathing (eg when playing soccer) to run 2x 2.5km runs, so that i can get a similar caloric burn? Is there a major difference in breaking down the runs?

    submitted by /u/Appoco
    [link] [comments]

    A question about the effectiveness of my routine.

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 04:07 AM PDT

    I was just wondering if I could get a perspective on my routine to see if what I'm doing is in any way effective or if detrimental.

    I wake up at around 6:30 and go for a 20- min run roughly at 6:45-7. I come back and make sure I'm staying hydrated, but don't actually eat anything until 12. I'm trying to do the 16:8 intermittent fasting schedule.

    At 12, I eat a healthy breakfast/lunch, my favorite so far has been brown rice, onion, zucchini, and eggs.

    At around 2 or 3 I go out and do my regular workout which consists of all body weight exercises, basically calisthenics. That takes about an hour and everyday focuses on different muscle groups (arms and core, shoulders, chest, legs etc) (I don't run on leg day).

    After that, I don't eat dinner until around 7 and again, I eat healthily and in the mean time if I'm hungry eat a granola bar or apple or banana.

    I just started this routine about a week ago and have been hearing many different things about the effectiveness of running combined with calisthenics and the effects of intermittent fasting as well. So I was wondering if what I'm doing is detrimental physically. I'm 5'11 and 162 lbs. I'm decently fit, except I have a bit of very stubborn belly fat that I've been trying to get rid of.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/awesomeHP
    [link] [comments]

    Is it true that high volume is best for shoulders?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2020 12:51 PM PDT

    I don't remember where, but I remember reading that high volume + low weight exercises lead to faster muscle growth in the deltoids relative to other muscle groups. Is this true or is it just broscience?

    submitted by /u/legobaba
    [link] [comments]

    If I can’t complete my reps in a set, should I lower weight or just do what I can?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 04:44 AM PDT

    I don't mean for another day, I mean that same workout. Should I lower weights so I can do the same number of reps, or keep the same weight and just do the reps I can and keep the same number of sets?

    submitted by /u/atl1015
    [link] [comments]

    I am building a platform and putting a rack on top. should the rubber part be the full length or only half?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2020 11:14 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/w1nh3d5

    I like to do deadlifts and cleans outside of the rack. Is there any real pro or con towards one or the other?

    submitted by /u/cjunky2
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best way to track cardiovascular fitness?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2020 12:39 PM PDT

    I know there are a lot of metrics like resting heart rate, vo2 max, lactic threshold, etc. Is there one measurement or get that weighs all of these or is it important to track everything?

    submitted by /u/AtlasCommunity
    [link] [comments]

    What are recommended speeds for a Couch to 5K?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2020 12:22 PM PDT

    Sorry if this is a dumb question. I've read the wiki, which explains the training sessions for C25K in terms of time. I also realize that the nice part about that is that I get to set my own pace, but I have no idea where my speed should be at. My runs are on the treadmill, so what is a good a walk vs jog pace? Also should my jogging be faster/should I be pushing myself more in the beginning since there are more walking breaks? At what point would I be pushing too hard too fast? Any help would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/yas_we_can
    [link] [comments]

    How effective is running and cycling at building lower body muscle and size?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2020 02:19 PM PDT

    I notice after a difficult run or cycle my calves, quads and hams will often feel a similar burn to a weight workout (such as squats), is the mechanism of muscle building similar here or is the former soreness and burn a different form than the latter. Will I be able to build leg muscle mass through biking and running?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/xedyu
    [link] [comments]

    So... Prohormone help?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 01:45 AM PDT

    Am considering taking prohormones for the first time as I am getting chubby and am told it helps cut fat and builds muscle faster. What are some do's and dont's for a guy who has never done them?

    submitted by /u/BlairSky
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on a 2 mile cool down after strength training.

    Posted: 26 Apr 2020 06:58 PM PDT

    I usually end my strength workouts with some sort of full body finisher. Whether this be farmer carries or overhead carries. After this I like to go on an easy 2 mile run (moderate pace somewhere around 7:30-8:00 a mile). Is this too much? Will it impact me gaining muscle?

    submitted by /u/JOSHB5725
    [link] [comments]

    Reverse Progress... Thoughts On How To Proceed

    Posted: 26 Apr 2020 06:13 PM PDT

    I've been working out steadily for about 7 months or so now. Really been getting after it, was getting better results than I've ever had and was very happy with my progress, up until the last few weeks.

    About 3 weeks ago I decided to quit smoking marijuana after being a habitual smoker for years and years. It totally destroyed my sleep, gave me pretty terrible insomnia for 5 nights (not in a row) and has generally made me sleep much worse. I think it's beginning to get better as I've been able to sleep through the night the past few nights successfully which is good.

    During this time I've still been working out as hard as ever, shortening my workouts some to compensate for the tiredness from lack of sleep. I've also changed my legs training program up because I have a goal to dunk a basketball. I started this program on March 29th when I first measured my vertical. Since then my vertical has dropped from about 30 inches to ~24 inches when I measured it today, a little over 3 weeks later. I don't want to give up on this goal because of a setback but it seems like my body is not responding well to what I'm doing.

    I attribute this loss of leg power to the fact my sleep has been bad, and since I've still been working my legs hard they're just broken down and not recovering properly. Im not sure if my upper body is suffering as well because I haven't done any lifting that can measure it. I look like I might be losing muscle as well, and ive gained a little fat.

    All of this is incredibly frustrating. Im not sure exactly what to do. Ive been working out consistently for months and I hate to not continuing, but I also am not sure my body is able to react to the work properly when I'm not caught up on sleep.

    Should I keep lifting weights? Should I switch off of weights altogether until sleep is better?

    submitted by /u/chillermane
    [link] [comments]

    Modified workouts.

    Posted: 26 Apr 2020 04:32 PM PDT

    After checking rules not sure how this will do. So this post involves some medical stuff but I'm not looking for medical advise rather what workouts I could do to cover workouts I can no longer, do I.e. alternatives.

    So I have two things that impair me. First is my neck/cervical spine is degenerating. So I am looking for stuff to both strengthen/reduce muscle lose on the neck back and shoulder area. Honestly not sure what there is for neck exercises, so not sure what I can and cant do outside of stretches.

    Second issue I need to get around is having under muscle(sub-pectoral) breast implants. Its recommended to not do things like pushups that only engage or primarily engage the pectoral. I still would like to work out my core, back, and shoulders including shoulder blades with out risking tearing my chest muscles.

    So the question is what is there for alternative exercises in place of pushups, butterfly, pull ups/chin ups, and plate loaded neck machines.?

    I'm thinking yoga might work if used with weights?

    submitted by /u/willowways
    [link] [comments]

    Training for 30km

    Posted: 26 Apr 2020 03:31 PM PDT

    I'm running 30km with 12kg in a backpack this autumn and need help for training. Which exercises will help me train for this.

    submitted by /u/Calcaneus_8
    [link] [comments]

    Bicep gives out during bench press

    Posted: 26 Apr 2020 11:37 AM PDT

    So this is where my push fails every time, left bicep right were the muscle bump starts at the top of my arm. I have focused trying to develop my arms, and they have grown in size and strength quite a bit, but this one small spot is what continues to cause my failures and preventing further gains. It almost feels like this area is being pinched?

    Suggestions on what the issue is and how I can fix it?

    submitted by /u/Ep1cH3ro
    [link] [comments]

    How long should your first run be?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2020 11:59 AM PDT

    I'm generally in shape, but haven't ran in a while, I don't want to mess my body up. I need to run but I don't want to go hardcore right out of the gate and injure myself. Should I even try to run fast on my first run and how far? Trying to really cut my run times down and build endurance. But I need a healthy baseline to build from.

    submitted by /u/Plumberaccount123
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment