• Breaking News

    Sunday, April 12, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 12, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 12, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 12, 2020

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    My experience weight lifting vs running

    Posted: 11 Apr 2020 04:04 PM PDT

    Hi!

    I'm a 5'1 female weighing about 114lbs. I started going to the gym 5 days a week in February mostly lifting weights because I wanted to gain muscle and grow a booty. I'd say 95% of the time after my gym sessions, I would feel so happy! I could definitely tell a difference in my mood, my confidence, my thought process - everything. I felt GREAT mentally and physically!! Now that my gym closed, I've been doing some body weight exercises and getting back into running just to stay active. I've noticed that I don't really feel the happy feeling as I did with the weight lifting. I am curious as to why this might be. Anyone have any possible insight on this? Or is this just in my head? Lol

    submitted by /u/beachbunnyy
    [link] [comments]

    Push/Pull splitting up quads and hams

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 12:49 AM PDT

    Iv been lifiting on and off for 8 years now allways done bro split typ training, I have a hard time making it too the gym when it comes to leg day, so iv decided to split quads and hams and increase my training frequency since all the science point to it being very effective for naturals.

    Just looking for feedback on the volume, since im used to high volume but iv increased the frequency to 3x week instead of 1x so im not sure if it might be abit too much volume

    Its basically a fullbody 3x week but split up into 6 days.

    this is the routine.

    Mon Push A

    Front Squat 3x8

    Bench 3x8

    DB LATERAL raise 3x10

    Lying Tricep Ext 3x10

    Cable Crunch 3x10

    Tue Pull A

    Romanian Deadlift 3x8

    Pullups 3x8

    Bent Over Lateral 3x12

    Barbell curl 3x8

    Standing Calf Raise 3x10

    Wed Push B

    Leg Press (Quad) 3x10

    Military press 3x8

    Cable Crossover 3x12

    Tricep Dips 3x8

    Machine Crunch 3x15

    Thu Pull B

    Chins 3x8

    Hip Thrusts 3x10

    Cable row 3x8

    Hammer curl 3x10

    DB Calves 3x15

    Fri Push C

    Incline DB Press 3x8

    Cable Lateral 3x12

    Cable Tricep extension 3x12

    Leg extension 3x12

    Hanging leg raise 3x15

    Sat Pull C

    Chest Supported Row 3x8

    Straight Arm Pulldown 3x12

    Lying Leg Curl 3x12

    Preacher Curl 3x12

    Standing Calf 3x15

    submitted by /u/Meyzu91
    [link] [comments]

    Incremental 5-pound attachments for dumbbells

    Posted: 11 Apr 2020 10:36 PM PDT

    I was going to buy some rubber hex dumbbells for my basement, but I don't want to buy like 10 different sets. Are there any 5-pound dumbbell attachments available that I can order online? The only ones I could find are magnetic. Do rubber dumbbells have metal inside them? Could I use magnetic ones? Or is there another option?

    submitted by /u/_FUCK_THE_GIANTS_
    [link] [comments]

    Bare Performance Nutrition

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 03:39 AM PDT

    I have been taking BPN strong greens for a while and I like it a lot. I was looking to get the strong reds and the strong multivitamin that they have. If you have, did you like it? Also, would you recommend it?

    submitted by /u/ikasten4
    [link] [comments]

    Is OMAD with this deficit a good approach for me?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 03:32 AM PDT

    I'm 5 foot 10-11 inches tall, and weigh 195-200 pounds. Tdee without exercise is ~2300 I think. My ultimate goal is just to look better and be healthier, which mostly will boil down to losing fat though getting stronger has become a new goal recently.

    I started going to the gym doing the recommended PPL in January. I ate "intuitively" while making conscious choices like eating more vegetables, cutting back alcohol, and shifting my macros toward protein but still not counting calories at all (honestly probably have been eating quite a lot overall). My weight since then has stayed pretty much the same (maybe down a few pounds) but people have said I look thinner and my muscles do look bigger / more defined in the mirror.

    Since the quarantine I got some adjustable dumbbells, a bench and a pull up bar. I do a dumbbell ppl 6 days a week and maybe 2 short runs (need to work on it from acl surgery last year). I started OMAD a few days ago and find myself eating between 1500-2200 calories daily by eating until I'm stuffed to the brim and then uncomfortably eating a bit more. Pretty clean overall with a big protein, good amount of veggies, small carb side, maybe some fruit and a small sugary desert. I have a hard time "dieting" typically and staying at a deficit without hard rules like this. Aside from some trouble getting to sleep at night (mostly thinking about food though I'm not even that hungry, maybe drinking too much coffee) I feel good.

    If I find this sustainable mentally, should I stick to this strategy / deficit for fat loss keeping in mind that is my ultimate goal?

    submitted by /u/locknic
    [link] [comments]

    How importnant is squat depth?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2020 11:25 PM PDT

    At the gym I always go do deep squats and 8 reps per set. At home I obviously don't have acces to heavy weights, so I do a lot more reps with just my bodyweight (around 30). Whenever I go for deepsquats however my right knee will crack. This isn't a big of an issue If I do low reps, but I do feel it the day afterwards If do alot of reps. I can prevent my knee from cracking if I don't squat that deep (till my knee hits a 90 degrees angle). Btw I do wear a kneebrace, but that doesn't prevent the cracking. So back to the main question, how importnant is squat depth for muscle building/maintaining?

    submitted by /u/McDuIl
    [link] [comments]

    Victory Sunday

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Victory Sunday Thread

    It is Sunday, 6:00 am here in the eastern half of Hyder, Alaska. It's time to ask yourself: What was the one, best thing you did on behalf of your fitness this week? What was your Fitness Victory?

    We want to hear about it!

    So let's hear your fitness Victory this week! Don't forget to upvote your favorite Victories!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Tips for a warmup exercise

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 01:15 AM PDT

    It's been like 2 years since I've been to the gym (previously did 7 months). And I want to try working out again at home and I would like some tips for any warm up exercises to condition my body before hitting any routine.

    submitted by /u/jkwan0304
    [link] [comments]

    Should I do bodyweight stuff more to make up for no lifting?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2020 05:59 PM PDT

    So I've been following a schedule for around a year and a half now - weightlifting 3x/week, running 3x/week. However, since I can't lift atm and am stuck doing bodyweight stuff, I was wondering, do you all think I should shift to bodyweight stuff more like 4 or even 5x each week instead of just 3, to make sure I don't lose *all* of my gains?

    submitted by /u/pm_me_some_kitties2
    [link] [comments]

    Stair well running

    Posted: 11 Apr 2020 05:50 PM PDT

    During the quarerntine period, I've been looking for ways to keep fit. Home workouts have been good but a recent post by Hugh Jackman made me realise the untapped potential of my apartment complex stair well. Thing is, I've never done stair runs or really used a stair machine. I can run 5-10km without an issue. What kind of targets should I be aiming for with stair runs? Googling it has just left me more confused.

    submitted by /u/ArchibaldTheCrab
    [link] [comments]

    22F 148 pounds Exercise might save me, i need your advice.

    Posted: 11 Apr 2020 11:33 PM PDT

    I used to work for over 10 hours everyday, and since quarantine, here i'm working from home everyday. My body is pretty weak, it shake when i do a slight intense movements. Can someone please recommend exercise i can do at home that can help build some muscles?
    I'll need exercise to help me with my insomnia and anxiety also. (Sorry for my English)

    submitted by /u/Sushiimaboi-
    [link] [comments]

    Weighted vest questions

    Posted: 11 Apr 2020 06:49 PM PDT

    Okay so I've been doing some research about weighted vests and the pros and cons about using them.

    Since I'm stuck at home with no equipment I thought about getting a plate carrier and some 5.75 rogue plates to do light cardio and pull ups, sit ups and stuff like that.

    Is it a good idea? I've seen people say it ruins the joints and not helpful and since it'll cost me over $100 I wanted to get the general consensus on if it's worth it.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/airmagswag
    [link] [comments]

    Is ffmi accurate?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2020 04:40 PM PDT

    So i tested my bodyfat percentage some time ago during a eurofit test at uni with a scale that sends an electrical current through your legs.

    It came out to be 18,9% body fat. With my height being 1.82m, weight 104kg and age 22 my ffmi is over 25. This would mean i have the ffmi of an elite strenght athlete but my lifts and physique are intermediate at best. I'm guessing i have a whole lot of water weight or a lot more bodyfat than the measurement says i have? Or is ffmi just a bad indicator?

    submitted by /u/Melkor_SH
    [link] [comments]

    Dietary Alterations

    Posted: 11 Apr 2020 05:59 PM PDT

    When finding a new diet is it uncommon to change that diet depending on work, workouts, and age or would it be better to stick very strict to the diet considering it's been studied and tested.

    How have you changed diets when you switch to them?

    submitted by /u/Its-Average
    [link] [comments]

    Losing “gains”

    Posted: 11 Apr 2020 04:43 PM PDT

    I am kinda annoyed not being able to go to the gym for over a month now bc of corna. I've been doing calisthenics now since I don't have free weights. I can physically tell I've lost muscle which really sucks. I think I lost somewhere around 10 pounds but I also had pneumonia for a week and half so maybe that has something to do with it. If I am not using free weights when working out like I normally do, do I lose muscle quicker? I've been doing push-ups and stuff like that but I don't feel like I'm getting the results I really want. Thanks

    Edit- how are you guys holding up with not being able to go to the gym?

    submitted by /u/metrozoominz
    [link] [comments]

    What causes an inability to extend knees past toes

    Posted: 11 Apr 2020 03:47 PM PDT

    Like the title says, I'm physically unable to extend my knees past my toes without lifting my heels. Any ideas on what are possible causes and what I can work on to be able to do this?

    submitted by /u/Unsilentmutiny
    [link] [comments]

    Will cycling make my legs chunky?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2020 01:25 PM PDT

    Hi guys!
    With social distancing, I'm trying to make sure I get outside and get some exercise in a safe and appropriate way. I recently inherited a bike and live near a provincial park/reserve that has closed the roads to cars so cyclists can use/to improve physical distancing while allowing outdoor exercise.
    I have cycled the route twice - it's about 40 mins to an hour with mixed hills. It feels great to be out in the fresh air, and it keeps me at a good distance from everyone else.

    If I cycle 4 - 5 times a week for 40 - 60 mins at a time, will I end up with bulky legs?

    I do a lot of pilates/resistance bands, as well as Les Mills BodyCombat style cardio and HIIT. I really enjoy cardio but can't run due to pretty awful shin splints (repetitive impact leads to days of pain).
    I'm 5'9", 130lbs, 25-year-old female. Looking to get leaner and lose fat, but not necessarily lose weight. I just don't want bulky thighs, but I do love to take my bike out into the park!

    submitted by /u/FemmeDarla
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment