• Breaking News

    Monday, March 30, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread


    Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 12:32 AM PDT

    Get your dunce hats out, Fittit, it's time for your weekly Stupid Questions Thread.

    Post your question - stupid or otherwise - here to get an answer. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer. Many questions get submitted late each week that don't get a lot of action, so if your question didn't get answered before, feel free to post it again.

    As always, be sure to read the FAQ first.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness".

    Be sure to check back often as questions get posted throughout the day. Lastly, it may be a good idea to sort comments by "new" to be sure the newer questions get some love as well. Click here to sort by new in this thread only.

    So, what's rattling around in your brain this week, Fittit?


    As per this thread, the community has asked that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Moronic Monday thread. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.

    submitted by /u/cdingo
    [link] [comments]

    Is it a good idea to do less reps with too heavy weights if I don't have access to lighter weights?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 02:08 PM PDT

    So Im 17M and obese. When I was 15 I lost 12KG and reached barely normal weight by just walking and eating less but I gained it all back. Now instead of just doing cardio I decided to start lifting.

    At my home we have this ball with a mug-like handle pointed upwards. I don't know if it's a dumbbell since English isn't my first language. Anyway I have basically 0 muscles and it weighs 6KG.

    I started yesterday by lifting it 12 times with both arms and did some squats after that. I did that 3 times so 36 times total both arms + the squats which I didn't really count.

    When I went to sleep I felt normal but I woke up at 4 and my left arm hurt like hell. This whole day I haven't been able to extend it fully straight without it hurting really bad. When I rest my arms it automatically points forward by a pretty big amoun because it won't go straight.

    Anyway I know it's normal and I'm not worried about lasting damage but I was wondering if I should ditch lifting entirely untill I can leave the house and by better weights. The other alternative is using the same weights but only doing 8 or so reps instead of 12. I don't know if that's effective because so that's what I'm asking.

    Bonus question is it worth it if I can't get much protein in my diet? I'm basically just eating what my mom makes every day and some days I eat absolutely no protein as far as I am aware. I don't know if my mom would appreciate sponsoring me with protein powder and I don't really fancy buying it myself being a teenager and all

    Edit: going to sleep so will not reply to comments for about 7 hours

    submitted by /u/Unicorncorn21
    [link] [comments]

    Uneven pecs?

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 04:36 AM PDT

    Hi.

    During the last months my lift PRs have been rising. I am currently on a bulk and since I can see more of my body now, I noticed sth interesting about my chest. My left pec seems smaller than my right pec.

    https://m.imgur.com/e10NMsG (Slightly hairy chest!)

    Is this natural since the body is asymmetrical or is my left pec undertrained?

    How can I fix this issue at home? Cure the lagging body part?

    submitted by /u/OneAndOnlyZerox
    [link] [comments]

    Biceps aren't defined but I can lift more

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 09:20 PM PDT

    My friends and I compared biceps, and while they lift only 20lb, their biceps are far more defined than my biceps, even though I lift 30lbs. I try to keep good form and not sway, and I try to pace myself to increase the total lift time. What can I do to make my biceps look less flat?

    submitted by /u/tylernij
    [link] [comments]

    Upcycling an entire home gym in a couple days.

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 04:39 AM PDT

    So we've seen so many videos lately of how to hold your cat and do a plank. A friend I decided to make a video on how to just build an entire home gym in a couple days, with everyday materials.

    The metal rack is scrap from powerline towers.

    The 2x4s and screws are from old election signs.

    The yoga mat and plywood were purchased in their own. So that was 25 dollars.

    The rest was just stuff I had lying around - we decided to just use the timeless method of Montage to save some time to show building and testing.

    I'm working on a rack that'll be steadied by a 2" towing receiver so I can go full homeless and still be able to workout.

    submitted by /u/1morepl8
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations: Small/medium home equipment for core strengthening?

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 05:21 AM PDT

    Hi all, first time at this sub. I'm looking at buying some kind of weights or equipment so that I can strengthen generally, but especially core muscles.

    I've got a bad back from sitting a lot and my GP recommended deadweights for this and core building, but I have no idea of how heavy or what sort of weight I should go for, or if any I should avoid having little muscle to start with.

    I also have quite a belly and a bit of fat around my waist, in addition to just no core strength/tummy muscles. I definitely want to build muscle all over and feel generally more powerful, but I feel like the core is a good starting point to build foundation to then focus on other areas, right?

    I have enough space for some small and medium sized equipment, but not enough space for big machines. I hope I'm not coming across as lazy - I have spent ages researching, but it's so hard to trust advice from companies that want you to buy every one of their products lol.

    In case it's relevant, I'm female, about 5 ft 4, weight about 70kg (154 pounds), and really am starting from nothing. If I flex my arms you'll need to squint to see muscle movement, lol.

    I really appreciate any knowledge any of you care to share from your experiences or expertise.

    Hope everyone is staying safe and looking after themselves mentally <3

    submitted by /u/peeltheavocado-
    [link] [comments]

    Any general rules I can follow to bulk without tracking calories?

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 05:11 AM PDT

    My coach said I should be in a 500 calorie surplus but I swear can't track macros, there's nothing more tedious and boring then doing so.

    Any general rules I can follow to get in this surplus because every time I bulk I get very unnecessarily fat.

    submitted by /u/teedthha446
    [link] [comments]

    Are progression excercises considered a workout?

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 04:29 AM PDT

    Progression excercises to achieve let's say L-sits or Hands stands, are they considered workouts? and How do I squeeze them into a routine or a schedule? (I have a two-a-day workout six days a week with a rest day between them)

    submitted by /u/acripplingdepression
    [link] [comments]

    Shoulders...

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 04:20 AM PDT

    Relatively new to weightlifting so go easy on me! I work out at home so have no access to machines or cables.

    For my shoulders do I need to do front raises AND shoulder press? Do they work the same muscles?

    Any tips for wider shoulders? I have the shoulder width of a toddler.

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/PRONG316
    [link] [comments]

    I get mad pudgy post-workout

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 04:14 AM PDT

    So usually when I wake up in the morning -- granting I haven't eaten super late and something super heavy the night before -- my stomach is flat. I'm don't have a six-pack or anything but I have the side line thingy, otherwise called the linea semilunaris, and when I flex you can tell I do some work. However after a workout, which usually includes a long run, bodyweight exercises, and before rona some weight-lifting, I get noticeably pudgy.

    To be fair, I'm 5' 1", 125 lbs, and female so it makes sense that bloating comes naturally, but it seems completely unfair that every ab workout and fit people themselves preach that some ab exercises will get your abdominal muscles to pop. In my case, I tend to look much better if I don't exercise at all. Is there any explanation for this and is there a way to prevent it?

    submitted by /u/dablkscorpio
    [link] [comments]

    How much fitness/cardio/lifting can I realistically do in one day?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 11:02 AM PDT

    So, as most of us are, I'm trapped in my house. Luckily, I started building a home gym a while ago and have a bar/plates/rack/dumbbells/bench to work with as well as running around my neighborhood (nice 1 mile loop).

    The nature of my work has me staying at home getting paid, but I can't do much teleworking. I'm going to be at home probably for like a month, so my question is, are there any routines I can do that would literally take up multiple hours everyday? I'm gonna split my time between learning a language and working out, any suggestions? I don't want to overdo it, but I feel like I can do more than I'm currently doing (which is run in the morning and lift at night).

    submitted by /u/ohconnor7122
    [link] [comments]

    Indian clubs and their effectiveness

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 07:54 PM PDT

    Obviously anything that's heavy or goes against your body's movement paths can create strength, but I'm more interested in the the shoulder health aspects from club swinging.

    Anybody have any experience with them, either for or against?

    submitted by /u/llomas01
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a stationary bike that feels like riding a bike. Can’t afford a peloton

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 01:08 AM PDT

    I'm looking for an upright bike that feels like you're riding a real bike. I don't need any it to be fancy with ifitness or other virtual trainers subscriptions

    submitted by /u/tkepongo
    [link] [comments]

    Dancing as leg exercise?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 11:59 PM PDT

    Hey, so i want to start dancing but don't know when to do it. is it a good idea to replace a normal leg workout through dancing? are there benefits in terms of strenght, endurance or movement, because i do kickboxing and fitness?

    thanks

    submitted by /u/AlexOFive
    [link] [comments]

    Weight training every other week?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 07:13 PM PDT

    Would this still facilitate muscle growth if I weight train 3 days one week, then focus on calisthenics 3 days the next week, alternating back and forth?

    Example:

    -Week 1: Weight lifting mon/wed/fri

    -week 2: Calisthenics mon/wed/fri

    -week 3: Weight lifting mon/wed/fri

    -week 4: Calisthenics mon/wed/fri

    Rinse and repeat.

    I want to incorporate bodyweight exercises and cardio/hiit without destroying my recovery and this is the only thing I can think of that allows for both styles of training while utilizing rest days to their best

    submitted by /u/54hv1uth
    [link] [comments]

    So I need help fast!

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 09:18 PM PDT

    So here is my situation, after years of sporadically going to the gym I thought I was ready for the physical challenges of the United States Army......I was wrong. I realized that I am out of shape. Here is my PT plan until I ship for May 18th:

    • 1/2 mile warm up jog
    • 2 mile run
    • 4 sets of max pushups (my max is only 10)
    • 4 sets of max sit-ups (my max is also 10)

    Any comments, concerns or criticisms? I am open to all suggestions.

    submitted by /u/Mentallyundisturbed2
    [link] [comments]

    Burning calories while off roading?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 05:47 PM PDT

    So I've spent these past two days going off roading for about two hours and ended up looking at my Apple Watch and found out that I lost over 600 calories from a few hours of driving. Is this just a glitch with the watch or does off roading actually help out with calorie burn?

    submitted by /u/SaltiestRomo
    [link] [comments]

    What body fat percentage do you recommend men have before bulking?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 05:27 PM PDT

    Hey kiddos,

    Long story short: I was 214lbs on January 5th. As of today, I'm 193lbs. I've been doing more cardio than I currently had been, some changes in my diet, and some body weight exercises. I'm not muscular at all (I struggle with heavy weights), but I've been wanting to bulk up for a while now. I'm aiming for a more "athletic" look (pretty much lean and toned) but I'm wondering what BFP I should be trying to be before I start bulking. I've read that men should be around 15%, but others say that it's no necessary.

    I'm not aiming for a 6-pack sticking out, but some semblance of abs would be nice. If I should cut, are there any suggestions you guys have to get over that last hurdle?

    For reference: 6'1, 23M

    submitted by /u/polisciguy123
    [link] [comments]

    Any advice on getting better coordination and control of my muscles in general?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 04:00 PM PDT

    So my friends and I like to workout together and do very active and fun things when outside which typically involves a lot of climbing, pushing, pulling, jumping, etc. And in doing this I've noticed a problem I have.

    Despite being stronger I still can't do the things that they seem to be able to do easily when it comes to moving my whole body. Let me give some examples.

    I'm the strongest at bench press and squatting, yet they can push harder and jump further. They can climb on top of tall things easily while I cannot do the same. We sprint the same speed yet their forms look much more.. fluid and correct. I'm stronger and yet when we wrestle they can shove and squeeze harder. Move faster. All of their movements are so "fluid" while mine feel janky and awkward. Is it just better coordination?

    I spent most of my childhood indoors without very many friends so maybe I just have way less experience being outside and having fun with other guys. Do to being alone I never really got to "rough house" with other boys. But I would like to LEARN how to be more "fluid" in my movements and actually know what I'm doing like other guys do. I'm definitely STRONG and muscular enough to do what they do. But I feel like a toddler learning how to walk except it's with literally everything we do besides walking or lifting weights. Any advice is appreciated! Sorry if this question breaks the rules, but it didn't seem like it did.

    submitted by /u/Space_Cheese223
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment