• Breaking News

    Wednesday, March 11, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - March 11, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - March 11, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - March 11, 2020

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Does exercise sequence matter?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 08:23 PM PDT

    Say I run a program where on a given day my PRIMARY muscle target is chest (bench press, incline press and flys) and the SECONDARY is quads (paused squats @50% 1RMx10 and leg extensions). The bench press is performed at a much higher intensity (85-90% 1RM) than all the other exercises.

    With a focus on chest in mind, would it be better to:

    A) Bench press and then paused squat > incline press > leg extension > fly - which will give my chest time to recouperate and hence improves my output for the next chest exercises.

    B) Take advantage of metabolic stress and move straight on to the next chest exercises, even though I may not be able to push as hard, and then work quads straight after.

    Edit: there seems to be some slight confusion. I am aware that paused squats are taxing, but they are not the primary focus of this day. Hence, they are not performed first - they are implemented as a supplementary movement to improve a weak point in my squat. Squats receive their focus later on in the week. This example follows a GZCLP program template - you can learn more about it at r/GZCL.

    My question is concerned with whether consecutive exercises are beneficial for a certain muscle group, as apposed to taking ample rests between exercises by alternating to another muscle group.

    submitted by /u/shoomyroomy
    [link] [comments]

    Rant Wednesday

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to Rant Wednesday: It's your time to let your gym/fitness/nutrition related frustrations out!

    There is no guiding question to help stir up some rage-feels, feel free to fire at will, ranting about anything and everything that's been pissing you off or getting on your nerves!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    How do you deal with being cold as fuck?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 04:43 AM PDT

    So long story short, I had a stomach issue that forced me on a very very severe diet (yes by doctor recommendation). I've spent my whole life trying to lose weight, and while the circumstances fucking sucked I was able to get to my goal weight and very close to my goal body fat %.

    Now I didn't want to achieve it this way but I'm taking full advantage of it. I'm still considered slightly above average right now (160 @ 5'8"). I lost about 40 lbs.

    But the result of losing weight due to severe diet restriction has caused me to become very cold. Like I'm freezing all the time and it sucks.

    How do I warm myself up? Permanently....

    submitted by /u/TheAsscendedOne
    [link] [comments]

    I don’t understand why I am strong but don’t have muscle to show for it.

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 09:26 PM PDT

    18, 195lbs, 5'11, squat-440, bench-240, dead-500, https://imgur.com/a/J7NFmB2

    I would like to start off by saying I have videos of all these lifts because I'm sure people won't believe me. I bulked you from about 175-195 over a 4-5 month period running PHAT, I definitely gained some size from it but it's still very underwhelming. I just don't understand what I am doing wrong. I try to run and stick to a hypertrophy program but it hardly seems like I gain any muscle. I'm getting stronger but I still look like I hardly go to the gym. It's very demotivating when I get comments about how it looks like I don't even lift. I want to cut down for summer now but I'm scared I'm just going to look scrawny and unmuscular. Does anyone have any insight on my situation? Any advice is really appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Pokyparachute66
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a particular disadvantage of fluctuating weight vs weight gain?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 04:02 AM PDT

    If someone gains 15 pounds then loses it, then gains it again, continuing to fluctuate, is it more harmful than just gaining the 15 pounds?

    submitted by /u/idontttttunderstand
    [link] [comments]

    Joints improve slower than muscles?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 12:53 AM PDT

    I have been regularly working out for about 8-9 months and during the last 3-4 been following a 2-3 times a week full body workout.

    I'm still constantly gaining in most of my exercises, but I'm a bit concerned that my muscles are ahead of my joints a bit, in the sense that my knees (from squatting) and elbows (weighted dips perhaps) are mostly sore or very slightly pained.

    I have had a trainer look at my form and he says it's all good. However, this joint soreness is bothering me and I'm wondering if I should stop increasing the weights for a while or something to see if it stops. I'd rather not since I enjoy the progress, but I don't want an injury.

    I increase my squats by 5 pounds and dips by 2 pounds every session.

    I have decreased to 2xweek full body to give me more recovery time, but that doesn't seem to cut it.

    TL;DR knees and elbows are sore/slightly painful . Trainer says form is good. Should I change something or power through?

    submitted by /u/PowerGloveLaserHawk
    [link] [comments]

    A question for labor workers

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 05:21 AM PDT

    I am a landscaper who does a lot of heavy lifting at work and it makes me tired and not wanting to go to the gym. How do you guys push past this?

    submitted by /u/MCSparky101
    [link] [comments]

    If i put my activity level as "sedentary" will all my step calories for the day be extra that i should add to the total calories of the day?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 05:08 AM PDT

    If i put it as sedentary, and it for example shows 2000 calories. If then i walk throghout the day and burn 500, is that 500 calories extra that i can eat?

    submitted by /u/druggachoppa
    [link] [comments]

    Battle of the Bulge!

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 05:05 AM PDT

    Y'all I've lost 6lbs since January. I'm down to 128 which is great, but I've got a damned tummy. I'm 26 (f) I don't drink, I lift 4x/week, and I do cardio.

    I have no definition and I have cellulite on my ribs. I'm thinking of reducing carbs. I have a desk job, so I'm trying to find ways to be active at work.

    What else should I do?

    submitted by /u/calibana
    [link] [comments]

    Am I doing this right?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 05:05 AM PDT

    Okay 32 on omad, every other day Im doing yoga and core exercises. Trying to drop the wieght before I pound my joints with cardio am I doing this right?

    submitted by /u/dress4mybaby
    [link] [comments]

    I’m not going to be able to workout for 2 weeks - should I do a mini cut?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 04:58 AM PDT

    I'm generally bulking, but if I won't be able to workout for a couple weeks; should I take this as an opportunity to cut excess fat? My thinking is that since I won't be working out there won't be that muscle building signal in my body, so a caloric surplus is just going to go to body fat primarily anyway.

    submitted by /u/fghfgh15
    [link] [comments]

    What's the harder deadlift variation you can think of, using the same weight?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 04:55 AM PDT

    Let's Say you have 225 lbs and you can conventionally deadlift them, what's the harder variation you could think of doing with the same weight to continue getting stronger in the hinge movement?

    submitted by /u/Kira_2497
    [link] [comments]

    Currently cutting

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 10:44 PM PDT

    I'm currently 5 days into my cut with eating 500-700 calories deficit. I haven't felt tired and my appetite is normal nor do I get extremely hungry. Is this normal??

    submitted by /u/nelsonkb24
    [link] [comments]

    Unable to do back squats

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 04:13 AM PDT

    I currently have an injury on my left knee on the right side (think my MCL has been injured) and it has been like this for a few months. I do pistol squats instead and whilst I continue to strengthen my legs, I am still unable to do back squats on my left knee.

    Pistol squats I guess are more comparable to a front squat hence why I haven't had any issues doing them.

    Does anyone have any advice?

    submitted by /u/assama95
    [link] [comments]

    The Hex bar... school me on it please

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 12:13 AM PDT

    Hi all. I want to know what you guys have to say about the Hex bar. That hex-shaped bar that you stand in the center of, and your weights are on the outside. Here's a link to what they look like:

    https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=hex+bar&ia=images&iax=images

    Some people say that using this bar is like a cross between a deadlift, and a squat. I guess I can see that. If true, that makes me like the hex bar even more. Is there a certain way to use it that I should know about? What is the "proper form"? And is there any reason I shouldn't use it?

    How do you view it, vs squats and deadlift?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/rampitup55
    [link] [comments]

    New user to this sub, any advice would be appreciated.

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 03:53 AM PDT

    Sorry this post is gonna seem scattered, I'm basically just typing as it comes to me.

    I (28f going on 29) have always been on the slightly chubby side. Like, I've always had a belly. When I was a child, my mom never put me in sports or dance classes, never expressed an interest in fitness and health, so it was never that important to me, even though I hated my stomach. It wasn't too noticeable in high school as I could suck it in and I'd just seem kinda skinny. As I got older, I steadily gained weight and a lot of insecurities kicked in, but I could hardly motivate myself to get in shape. For a couple of weeks at a time throughout my 20s, I would start doing sit ups and lifting my 10lb weight, but would lose interest quickly because I obviously wasn't seeing any immediate results and got discouraged. At 21yo I weighed around 130lb, I met my now husband and gained (what I've heard people call it) relationship weight. It's been 8 going on 9 years that we've been together. At the beginning of last year I weighed 160lbs, got pregnant, gave birth to my daughter in November, and now I'm at 170lbs. Oh, and I'm also 5'4". So I'm about 50lbs overweight for my height. The weight I've been gaining stays in my stomach, thighs and arms. I also have a double chin now. It's all kinda noticeable but not as bad as it could be, though I fear it getting there. The more weight I gain, the less I feel about myself. Like, I don't even want to have sex with my husband because I feel like I look so disgusting. I don't want to feel like that anymore. I want to be intimate with him so badly, he always tells me how beautiful I am and how nothing is ever going to change that, that he's still attracted to me and I believe him, I just don't feel good about myself.

    I'm nearing 30 and I want to be attractive for myself. I want to love my body so badly, I just can't. I lack so much motivation to get into shape. I also have asthma that only acts up if I exercise intensely or if I cry way too hard. I've always wanted to be a runner, but my lungs could never keep up with my feet. I always thought I could have been a strong runner if not for my lungs.

    I want my daughter to grow up to be happy and healthy, not insecure like I was as a kid and now as an adult. I want to set a good precedent for her.

    So I guess I'm here looking for advice. How do you stay motivated to continue with your fitness journey?

    submitted by /u/ellie_queentero
    [link] [comments]

    188cm 92kgs CUT Calories

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 02:43 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    long time lurker. I read almost everything on here. I know I should know the answer but I'm decided to ask anyways. I'm currently cutting for summer. I started this month. I'm working a desk job (programmer) and I'm following the PHUL Program (4-days) from https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

    I used the normal TDEE Calculator and put in light Excercise. I'm aiming for atleast 150g of protein per day with a maximum of 2000 calories per Day. Is this good for cutting? My bodyfat percentage should be around 16-19%.

    submitted by /u/montana12345
    [link] [comments]

    Confused About Glycogen Depletion

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 01:43 AM PDT

    I understand during moderate-vigorous activity the body predominately uses glycogen as a fuel source and during rest the body predominantly uses fat as a fuel source. What confuses me is that I've watched videos of people fasting in a mostly resting state for 48-72 hours and by the end their glycogen is gone and ketosis is occurring. So during rest do we use a lot of glycogen or is it saved only for active times?

    submitted by /u/Mr211999
    [link] [comments]

    Progress/Achieving Goals Lifting for a "noob"

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 09:26 PM PDT

    I am 18, 6'2'', ~175-180lbs, I haven't lifted much in my life, I know my max deadlift and squat are around 225lbs.

    I am trying to gain some muscle, not too much, but mostly add strength and definition. I want to be able to have very defined biceps, triceps, and shoulders so you can tell they are different parts.

    Giannis is a good example of what I mean. His arms are very defined, and he is not THAT big, but he is VERY strong.

    example 1: https://www.bostonherald.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/celticsce0231.jpg?w=620 (I know he is flexing really hard but you get the idea)

    example 2 :https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/giannis-antetokounmpo-of-the-milwaukee-bucks-reacts-after-a-dunk-the-picture-id1201773226?s=2048x2048

    I would also like to build wider shoulders, I feel like I look to skinny right now. A bigger chest would also be nice. I also want to get my legs stronger to have more agility, quickness, and vertical.

    My main question is: I haven't ever really lifted upper body routinely. Is this a good start for my goals?

    • Monday: LEGS| ISO Leg Extension, Barbell Back Squat(5x5), Barbell Hip Thrust(5x5), Machine Leg Extension(5x5), Hamstring Curl Machine(5x5), Calf Raise(5x5), Trap-bar Deadlift(5x5)
    • Tuesday: ARMS/CORE|Dumbell Curls(3x10), Hammer Curls(3x10), Dumbell Tricep Kickback(3x10), Tricep Rope Pushdown(3x10), Pushups(2xfailure), Leg Raises, Elbow Plank
    • Wednesday: Rest
    • Thursday: LEGS| ISO Leg Extension, Barbell Back Squat(5x5), Barbell Hip Thrust(5x5), Machine Leg Extension(5x5), Hamstring Curl Machine(5x5), Calf Raise(5x5), Trap-bar Deadlift(5x5)
    • Friday: SHOULDERS/CHEST/BACK| Bench Press(3x8), Incline Dumbell Press(3x8), Lateral Raises(3x10), Military Press(3x10), Dumbell Single Arm Row(3x8), Lat Pulldown(3x8)
    • Saturday: Rest
    • Sunday: Basketball game

    I also plan on playing basketball for 1hr30min-2hrs after lifting on these days.

    Sorry if this seems like a dumb post, I just want to get some knowledge in my head about what I should be doing/lifting before starting my journey.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Azopla
    [link] [comments]

    Victory Sunday

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Victory Sunday Thread

    It is Sunday, 6:00 am here in the eastern half of Hyder, Alaska. It's time to ask yourself: What was the one, best thing you did on behalf of your fitness this week? What was your Fitness Victory?

    We want to hear about it!

    So let's hear your fitness Victory this week! Don't forget to upvote your favorite Victories!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment