• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 15, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 15, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 15, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 15, 2020

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Is it 100% always the case that I "don't have to feel it" to know that the muscle is working and growing?

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 12:17 AM PDT

    I always thought that I don't necessarily have to feel it, at least according to this subreddit. But apparently not everyone in the community agrees with this.

    In fact, according to Dr. Mike Israetel, getting the pump in your target muscle, feeling if the muscle is disrupted, having a mind-muscle connection and feeling the burn in the target muscle - are all important indicators of hypertrophy.

    I can't feel the Bench Press in my chest no matter what I do, and I've been practicing the movement for 2 years now. I can feel the chest during the Fly, but I can't only do Flies, right? You just can't progress on that exercise like you can on the Bench Press.

    I just want to know if my chest is working and growing on the Bench Press even if I don't feel a damn thing in the chest muscles neither during, nor after the workout.

    submitted by /u/TheBarbellBear
    [link] [comments]

    Is jump roping an effective substitute for cardio?

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 12:58 AM PDT

    I'm kinda getting bored of jogging, and I find jump roping to background noise (tv shows mostly) to be a bit more entertaining. Can I substitute jogging for skipping to satsify my cardio needs? I jog 2 kilometres everyday for reference.

    Edit: Wrong title, should be substitute for jogging, not cardio

    submitted by /u/aa033
    [link] [comments]

    Rant Wednesday

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to Rant Wednesday: It's your time to let your gym/fitness/nutrition related frustrations out!

    There is no guiding question to help stir up some rage-feels, feel free to fire at will, ranting about anything and everything that's been pissing you off or getting on your nerves!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I want to change my body but don’t know how.

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 04:30 AM PDT

    im male, 6'2", 238 pounds. I want to get muscular but don't know where to start. I'm at the gym 3 times a week loosing weight. But u got recommended that due to my body built I should start bulk. I asked a guy who has been training for a long time and he said you have the perfect body structure to bulk and for muscle gain in general (no brag). But I don't now should I lose weight? I find my self still overweight and scared that bulk will make me fatter. Can someone help me?

    submitted by /u/sami3026
    [link] [comments]

    What can i do for my upper body progress?

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 02:19 AM PDT

    I never get doms after my upper body workout Okay I'm pretty new into this (about 2 months 3x a week) and everytime I train my upper body, I never get doms? I usually do 8 reps 3 sets with lower weight then the same with heavier weight, usually by the last 2 reps I couldn't anymore my arms shake or I can't lift it anymore but I just never have pain after.

    But if I train my lower body even just light (squat, lunges 10x3sets ) my pain will only go away after a week being the 2nd and 3rd day is the peak of the pain to the point I'm afraid now lol

    But I don't get pain from jogging either (just ran out of breath) any advice?

    I'm a 26th years old woman and have Pcos for reference

    submitted by /u/ndutthecat
    [link] [comments]

    What is that “one secret” in all those youtube ads?

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 04:53 AM PDT

    Never posted here before. This question doesn't seem against the rules, but if it is my apologies.

    Have you ever seen those ads where the jacked guy says he'll tell you the secret to fast weight loss if you subscribe for a year or something to that effect. They used to be all over the place, but then died out.

    Now there's a new one. And I'm just curious. What is that "one secret" these snake oil salesmen are peddling?

    submitted by /u/Naptime2019
    [link] [comments]

    stationary bike cycling before and after workout.

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 01:04 AM PDT

    as the title says,would a 5 mins on the bike(also as a warm up) and 10 mins after on a P/P/L split from mon to sat speed up fat loss or should i seperate them? currently trying to lose fat,especially around the belly. M/45.aim is to get lean. current cardio is just walking the dog half an hour per day if it doesnt rain.

    submitted by /u/shitass75
    [link] [comments]

    Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 03:26 AM PDT

    I have been recently thinking about this old saying of "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper", especially so after reading about the benefits of avoiding having heavy dinners and timing them 2-3 hours before going to bed.

    I would like to know if any of you follow this approach to your nutrition and if you spread your calories like that accordingly. Say, if you have 3 meals per day, and a calorie intake of 2500-3000, do you eat 1500 cal breakfast? What does that even look for you? (it's hard for me to get my head around that, even having reasonably large breakfasts).

    submitted by /u/alchemistST
    [link] [comments]

    Protein intake during body recomp

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 02:33 AM PDT

    I, F 19 / 5'5 / 67kg or 147.7 lbs, have been in a caloric deficit for a long time now and have lost a substantial amount of weight. However, I recently hit a long plateau so I thought I should do a three month body recomp to up my metabolism a bit and build some muscle/cut fat.

    I've figured out my ideal caloric intake for the recomp but not sure about macros. Currently, it'll be difficult for me to get enough protein because we're in strict lockdown and I don't have access to much in terms of protein except eggs. Does protein intake matter when I'm doing a recomp? Can I just up my carbs a bit to reach my caloric limit?

    I would love some help with this. Also, I'm only lifting light 5-11 pounds weights 4-5 days a week right now, if you must know.

    submitted by /u/meraxesfury
    [link] [comments]

    <simple questions> Lots of short walks vs one long walk

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 02:12 AM PDT

    I've been working from home for months now and will continue doing so for the foreseeable future. I've been living very sedentary lately, and as a result, the weight has packed on. My schedule doesn't allow me to do longer workouts at present. To counter this, I have started doing short, 5-minute brisk walks on the treadmill throughout the day, which add up to between 30-45 minutes or 3-5 kilometres when all put together. Question is, is this plan of any health and calorie-burning benefit vs a longer daily run or walk, or am I just wasting time? I'm guessing it's still better than nothing... right?

    submitted by /u/Bocephus_ZA
    [link] [comments]

    Quick question

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 02:06 AM PDT

    (m16) what can I do to get ride of gynecomastia. What exercises do I do or what diet do I get into?

    submitted by /u/nigleto42069
    [link] [comments]

    What am I doing wrong?

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 01:06 AM PDT

    Hey guys and girls of /r/fitness,

    I am a quite fit guy, but rather on the slim/fast metabolism side. Until April, I gained weight up to 83 kg (183 lbs) and also gained some fat.

    Now I am trying to loose the excess fat by a gradual 200 kcal deficit to my previous nutrition plans. I already lost 5 kg (11 lbs) , but I don't feel like my body composition changed.

    My plan looks like this:

    Breakfast: low fat Quark (300 kcal) + an apple (80 kcal)

    Lunch: Supermarket salad with sauce (350 kcal) + 50g Salami (200 kcal)

    4 pm: low fat milkshake with banana and protein powder (350 kcal, after sports)

    Dinner: vegetables (250 kcal) + meat (600 kcal)

    I do a upper lower split, 4x per week + 1x Cardio Kickboxing. I feel like I am doing something essential wrong. Any suggestions? Too much fat in the nutrition?

    EDIT: I consume about 160g of Protein per day.

    submitted by /u/Hemutsneck
    [link] [comments]

    Fuckarounditis and Basic Beginner Routine

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 08:57 AM PDT

    I've been looking to getting into fitness for a while now. I read stuff about it on the internet and found out Stronglifts 5x5 had good reviews. However, when I came here I saw posts about it being removed from the Recommended Routines on the Wiki page and the reasoning behind that. I also read the recommended article called Fuckarounditis on the Wiki page. Now I'm a little confused. Here is why.

    Martin Berkhan was talking in his article about that you should start your workout with the squat, deadlift, bench press or chins. However in the /r/fitness Basic Beginner Routine workout A starts with Barbell rows...

    In the Basic Beginner Routine cardio is also mentioned, lower and higher intensity. There is an article on the Wiki page that even say that avoiding cardio could be holding you back. I like sports, would for example playing tennis (1 hour) on a rest day hinder my performance in the gym?

    I also read that it's best to use a routine that worked for a lot of guys. So I tried searching for positive reviews on the Basic Beginner Routine, like Stronglifts or Starting Strength has, but I couldn't find them.

    submitted by /u/Elf-1
    [link] [comments]

    What exercises enhance your height development as a teenager?

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 02:56 AM PDT

    I (15 years old) recently got into exercising at my local gym and my dad told me that some exercise like dead lifting can hinder your final height, but I was wondering what exercises, maybe stretches are recommend for teenagers who are still in their development phase. I'm definitely happy with my height but some extra centimeters wouldn't bother me :)

    submitted by /u/DimaZ5
    [link] [comments]

    How should I continue

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 02:29 AM PDT

    So I am currently 75 kg. This quarantine I gained like 7 kilos, but I noticed something weird. When I looked in the mirror I had something close to a sixpack which I didn't had when I weighted 68 kg. Can someone explain what this is? I also want to workout again but I don't if I should lose weight or maintain my current weight.

    submitted by /u/Avarnes58
    [link] [comments]

    Nasal breathing during exercise: what's your experience?

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 03:41 AM PDT

    Judge me of you will: I watched the JRE podcast with James Nestor and it really made me think: I mouth-breathe a lot, especially during cardio.

    This AM at the gym I made a conscious effort to breathe nasally while lifting and HIIT training. I have to say, the lifting wasn't bad but the HIIT training? I thought I may die. 10% incline at 8.5 pace for 30 seconds, 1 minute rest x 6.

    Both nares became sore, throat became dry, I got a headache and a terrible hot flash. The weird thing? I loved it. I feel like a fool for not realizing the benefits of this sooner. I'm going to do this every gym day from this point forward.

    What is your experience with nasal vs. mouth breathing during exercise?

    submitted by /u/di456
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment