• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 28, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 28, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 28, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 28, 2020

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    What excercises should I do and avoid to look less blocky and less pregnant-looking?

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 01:11 AM PDT

    I know there's no such thing as spot reduction, but is there anything I can do to build more of an hourglass shape and look less pregnant from the side (I'm not pregnant)? I feel like my upper belly is ok, but my lower sticks out too much, and I look like a block from the front.

    I'm currently doing Strong Curves, but I've heard oblique excercises might make you look more blocky-shall I skip those? Also, what about abs-should I skip them too? Or just do core?

    Pics: https://i.imgur.com/M3HWyaY.jpg

    submitted by /u/ertesit
    [link] [comments]

    What cardio exercise for the whole body?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 07:11 AM PDT

    [Edited] I recently started walking 6 kilometers (3.7 miles) every day and I noticed that not only was I loosing weight (15 kilos (33 pounds) lost in two months) but I also felt lighter when walking because my legs and my butt grew muscles that were almost nonexistant before. I feel my muscles working and I like the feeling, I wish to extend that feeling to my entire body. I am exclusively looking for a cardio exercise that is continuous, doesn't involve repetitions like push-ups or burpees, is easy and involves the entire body. I have been accused repeatedly in the comments of wanting fast results without putting in the efforts. Never have I said I wanted fast results, never, nowhere. I have also been told I would never have any results but as I've stated before I've had results already. I have never exercised before in my life, I have knee pain and back pain and I am grossly overweight. I choose to start slow so as to not get discouraged. I choose to awaken my muscles and prepare my body for more intense sport but I do not feel ready yet for something more physical. I do not seek any opinion on that. I have tried for ten years to loose weight and have always abandoned, now is the first time of my life that I actually stick to something because I chose to go at my own pace. I do not understand how people can be delusional enough to ignore my post totally and tell me instead how to live my life and what goals to have without knowing the first thing about me. Thanks a lot to everyone who tried to answer my question and who still are trying to. I greatly appreciate, my favorite suggestion for now has been swimming. I want to do an easy exercise for a long duration and not an intense exercise for a short duration. Yes I do intend to increase the intensity of my work out, but only when I feel like it, again my body feels asleep for now, I'm getting used to moving again after years of inactivity. My question is very specific and I will now ignore and/or block anyone who tells me what I should want or do.

    Thank you for reading it all if you have and thanks to all the people who were and are respectful and are responding to my question and not the one they wished I asked. My weight is 135,7 kilos (299 lbs) and my height is 193 cm (6,33 feet).

    submitted by /u/nathan_foeni
    [link] [comments]

    Why is whey more expensive than casein?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 10:28 PM PDT

    I'm at a crossroads.

    Micellar casein: 30g protein/1g fat/2g carbs 143cals @ 40g serve size = 55AUD for 2kgs

    100% dynamic whey: 26g protein/ 3g fat/ 3g carbs 146 cals @ 35g serve size = 69AUD for 2kgs

    Am I missing something here? Why is the less caloric, carby and fatty protein cheaper? This is killing me.

    (Australian prices with a weird brand but cheaper than any other place I can find online or irl)

    submitted by /u/HopefulEngineer123
    [link] [comments]

    Question about the recommendation to only lose 1-2 pounds a week

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 02:38 PM PDT

    so im 5'6 190 pounds with how much i eat which is definitely way more then needed and am looking to get into fasting and just eating less so the question is, Is it really that unhealthy to lose more then that much a week if you are overweight?

    Edit: wow thanks everyone for the feedback! Just to reiterate I wasn't planing to just stop eating and lose as much as possible in a week just if it was bad if it did happen.

    submitted by /u/Xenoleff
    [link] [comments]

    How do you reach your daily calorie intake?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 10:38 PM PDT

    This might be the wrong sub for this so feel free to tell me.

    I'm on a recommended daily calorie intake of around 2,000 calories to lose weight; 2400 to maintain. And I started to eat actually healthy in hopes of dropping a big belly.

    I usually end up eating chicken, green beans, pears. a kind bar. Basically white meat, high fiber veg, fruit for snacks and a single kind bar to ween me off processed sugar.

    But even though I feel full after eating, I'm getting nowhere close to that 2,000 calorie count and I can say my energy levels are pretty close to the level I had when I first started my journey to fitness. And occasionally I get dizzy spells; I'm guessing this is due to not getting enough calories in.

    I think I'm averaging about 1600 a day...

    submitted by /u/Bozinthecalm
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for an unhealthy obsession with weight; please help!

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 02:49 AM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    My story goes back to about two years ago when I was slightly overweight at 5'3 and 148 pounds. now I am 117 pounds. I did this all without exercise and just eating "healthy" (restricting calories and not eating meat). Now that I have lost all this weight and returned to my normal eating habits (just eating smaller portions and not eating junk food), I am so obsessed with not gaining weight. My lowest point was a few days ago at 115 pounds, but I have been eating much more than usual lately which caused a spike in my weight over a span of a few days. Every time when I see the scale jump a pound or even half a pound, I feel disappointed in myself not extremely but there's this feeling like damn you ate too much yesterday. I hate that I keep obsessing over my weight. I HAVE to weight myself once in the morning and once before I sleep every day. I still eat a good amount and I can clearly say I don't have an ED, but I am just tired that I keep obsessing over my weight. Also, I want to exercise but every time I exercise, I gain weight (probably just water retention) and I get scared and stop... I honestly have an issue and I want to get out of this loop of constantly weighing myself and feeling guilty that I shouldn't have eaten this or that yesterday...

    ever since quarantine, I have come back from university for about 3 months and I have dropped a little less than ten pounds by just sitting at home and eating less...

    submitted by /u/poot_i_farted
    [link] [comments]

    Is it good idea to go jogging after hard workout?

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 04:03 AM PDT

    My friends believe in "idea" that if you go run after workout you will lose some progress because all of your proteins etc goes to legs and aditionaly you will also relieve your "pumped" muscles so the proteins will not know where to "go".

    submitted by /u/popolvar
    [link] [comments]

    Sofa days

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 02:21 AM PDT

    I run and strength train, typically 3 runs (total of around 35-40km) and 3 or 4 lifting days a week. I typically manage the training load pretty well but very occasionally i have a total 'crash and burn day,' which i'm having today.

    I'm careful not to push hard but listen to my body etc with training. However sometimes it seems to just tip over the edge... today i feel incapable of work (am a writer) or any activity, even going for a walk.

    Anyone else get these big crashes sometimes? I know i just need a day of sofa and netflix but i'm so used to being active and productive i find it hard to come to terms with.

    submitted by /u/CimJotton
    [link] [comments]

    Getting lean with estimate calories? (24f, CW:142 GW:132)

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 04:21 AM PDT

    Hello! I've been counting macros for years now and I'm very familiar with the process of getting relatively lean, however I've always been able to track all my food with a food scale and cook everything that I eat so I know exactly how much I'm eating. Fast forward to now. I'm deployed currently and trying to get lean but I'm having a difficult time dropping weight. I set my cutting macros at 140p 180c and 55f and had planned on using those for 4 weeks before dropping 25 carb for the next four weeks. However, in two weeks my average weight has stayed the same. I get 10-13k steps a day and workout 5x a week following the "hybrid build" bodybuilding program.

    I've had to estimate all of my meals, I do have a food scale in my room which I'm able to use maybe one meal a day (I eat the rest of my food at work or away from my room) but even with that it's hard to know exactly how much oil they use to cook chicken breast.

    Most things I estimate are generally very "low threat" foods, like chicken, veggies, some fruit, etc. Then any higher calorie I will only eat if they are pre-packaged and I know for sure what I'm eating.

    So my question is, should I drop my macros already? Or switch from the grilled chicken to something like lunch meat where there isn't any added oil and try to keep my food as "raw" as possible?

    Any tips for how to get shreddy or at least fairly lean without strict macro counting would be super appreciated! Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/crawfishbonez
    [link] [comments]

    Victory Sunday

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Victory Sunday Thread

    It is Sunday, 6:00 am here in the eastern half of Hyder, Alaska. It's time to ask yourself: What was the one, best thing you did on behalf of your fitness this week? What was your Fitness Victory?

    We want to hear about it!

    So let's hear your fitness Victory this week! Don't forget to upvote your favorite Victories!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    5'8 and 230. I haven't lifted weights in 2 years and I need to get back but I need some direction first?

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 01:27 AM PDT

    I'm 5'8 230 and I haven't lifted in 2 years. At one point I was 180 at around 15-16% body fat but now i'm like 230 at 27-28% body fat. I guess I don't look terrible for my weight but I miss my old size. I want to start lifting again because I know putting muscle back on will help with my body burning fat but I don't want to get much bigger for my frame if that makes sense. Do you guys think I should just jump back into lifting or try to drop some weight with intensive cardio for a couple months first?

    submitted by /u/Jonnyluver
    [link] [comments]

    What to eat while camping

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 01:16 AM PDT

    I'll be camping-swimming for 10 days. And as you know, most of protein-foods (meat etc.) can not stay so long without fridge. What can I bring with so I won't suffer muscle loss?

    submitted by /u/makifk
    [link] [comments]

    Craves

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 12:28 AM PDT

    i started working out going to the gym and lifting weights etc, but from time to time i crave certain food, i have been eating fruits( to much) is it gonna impact my weight loss?

    submitted by /u/wannacrysobad
    [link] [comments]

    Lifting Progress Advice

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 11:47 PM PDT

    Hello all!

    I have been lifting weights for a few years now but really seriously and consistently for 2.5 years straight now. I wanted to share some of my progress and see if someone could help identify reasons why I may not be achieving as much as I think I could be achieving.

    For the past 2.5 years I have been lifting with mainly a PPL style, a bit of bro split, and most recently the PHAT program. I am a type 1 diabetic who does quite a bit of low carb for overall health benefits. My diabetes management I would define as very good but you know this doesn't equate to a 100% healthy person. I weigh 203 pounds currently at 5'8 with around 25% bodyfat at 22 years old. I always make sure to get at least 150 grams of protein per day and my sleep is pretty good with the average being 9 hours a night. I'm not sure exactly what my calories a day are as I don't track them very seriously, all I know is that they are enough to maintain my weight of 203 for a few months now (so maybe somewhere around 3000).

    I don't have one rep maxes for everything but here's the numbers I can share: Bench Press 1RM 265, Squats 4x10 with 235, Deadlifts I can hit 275 for 10 (forearms are weak), shoulder press 70 pound dbs for 10, and I can do 8 good form pullups.

    I'm open to many possibilities as to why my progress isn't quite where I want it. The first being that perhaps this is right where I should be. Next, I usually like to prioritize good form and tempo on my lifts so I don't like to increase the weight until I think I can get all of the reps with good form. Some of my training is to failure, some of it isn't. Perhaps being on a low carb diet has limited my gains. I do deal with a bit of anxiety and I haven't really considered too much how this could be effecting my progress.

    If anyone has any thoughts on where I am or their personal experiences that they think can apply to me I would love to hear them!

    submitted by /u/Bradyh98
    [link] [comments]

    Calhistenics

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 11:45 PM PDT

    So recently I have been trying to get into calhistenics. What is some advice you have for beginners to calhistenics like myself?

    submitted by /u/42069dontyouowome
    [link] [comments]

    Do beginner gains apply if you’ve already been weightlifting for a year?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 05:42 PM PDT

    I started weight training almost a year ago. I had some decent newb gains upper body but I was skipping leg day due to a clicking knee that I was worried about.

    I want to start doing squats and other leg exercises. Will I experience newb gains in the legs? Or did this somehow get used up by My upper body?

    submitted by /u/KimcheeBreath
    [link] [comments]

    Chest workouts with chostocondritis?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 10:09 PM PDT

    Believe its called chostochondritis.

    Does anyone know when or how it goes away? It feels like where my ribs attach to my breast place there is a looseness and dull ache when I apply any force using my pec muscles, be it pushups, benching like 25 lbs dumbbells, or anything.

    I should add, I've probably irritated the area as I have stretched my chest continually as I work through some pretty bad upper crossed syndrome.

    submitted by /u/Musitall
    [link] [comments]

    Power lifting without Bench press

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 10:01 PM PDT

    Just wanted all your thoughts on this.

    Do any of you train for powerlifting style without the bench press?

    I do not compete. I just enjoy lifting heavy. However, I do not like doing bench press. I prefer upper body hypertrophy style workouts (except heavy OHP- love that) and lower body power lifting - 5x5, 5x3 and 3/5/1 on squats and deadlift.

    Do you get results like upper body aesthetic look or just a buffed look (not shredded with abs) along with good squat and dead lift numbers?

    Currently running a Upper Lower Rest Upper Lower Rest Rest split. Planning to train powerlifitng on the lower body days and hypertrophy on upper days.

    submitted by /u/WhyIsGravityHigh
    [link] [comments]

    Nutrition Question for StrongLifts 5x5 and just generally new to lifting weights

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 02:14 PM PDT

    I'm pretty new to lifting weights as all my experience in the gym has been cardio. I've lost about 60 lbs doing cardio and maintaining a really strict diet to eat less and better. Now I want to start gaining muscle as I'm happy with my fat loss progress. I'm really new to routines for weight lifting, so I'm gonna try the StrongLifts program for a few months to see if works well for me.

    However, I'm not sure what I should be doing on the nutrition aspect of it. Should I be aiming to gain weight or maintain weight during the process?

    submitted by /u/HistoricalZoidberg
    [link] [comments]

    Is gaining 20 pounds in 4 months normal for a 14 year old male?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 11:15 PM PDT

    in February, I was 138, and now I'm 157. I've started to work out in May if this helps. It's been a bit discouraging and sad that I've gained weight. Is the amount of pounds gained normal for my situation and age?

    submitted by /u/PapaSand
    [link] [comments]

    Wringing our a towel every day a good idea?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 03:13 PM PDT

    Like the title says.

    I've recently wanted to start paying more attention to my forearms and was originally looking up ways to do it and one way was wringing out a towel with a bunch of water absorbed and wringing it out until it's bone dry for about 15-20 min.

    Can I do this everyday?

    submitted by /u/Magic_AJH
    [link] [comments]

    Strength without muscle

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 10:23 PM PDT

    My aim is to gain maximum strength (mainly explosiveness) and endurance with minimum muscle gains. Any advice to gain strength but not muscle?

    submitted by /u/_White_Shy_Guy_
    [link] [comments]

    Re-defining Success Metrics?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 01:35 PM PDT

    Since December of 2019, I've (M 5'9") gone from 195lbs to 175lbs by doing a lot of skiing, P90X, and tracking my diet with My Fitness Pal.

    My initial overall goal is to lean to 165lbs to look more defined, and lower my 1.5 mile time to below 12 mins.

    The running time goal is straightforward and I know what improvements and success looks like.

    But like I've seen posted here before, your weight on the scale shouldn't always be the definition of fitness success. So as I'm (presumably) building or maintaining muscle with strength training is my weight loss the primary indicator for whether I'm progressing? Are there better metrics to hold myself accountable to?

    Do I need to re-define my goal to a different weight that takes strength training into account? Should I change my overall goal based on the training that I'm doing? Or is weight as a goal still the best metric to measure progress toward this goal and I'm overthinking it?

    Current routine is P90X classic M-F substituting a speed routine on Thursday and a 5 mi slow run on Saturday with Sunday rest. Once I finish this round of P90X, I'm switching to P90X2 for a more core/performance strength focus.

    submitted by /u/Original88
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment